Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - Interior Noise / Rattling / Crackling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it is the same issue other people are running into here, but I saw in another thread that the FWD have a release cable that can often be left to rattle against the speaker in the door.

Although i could probably take the rear seat apart and fix my rattle myself, I currently have a service scheduled on Friday to have them look. Hopefully with my videos they will have an easy time finding it.

Reactions: offah
I bought gummi pflege and applied it in the attached areas.

The issue is resolved on both sides.
1661955729977.png

1661955745357.png

Thanks for your reply. I just struggle with the idea that a 145k car makes this much noise on city streets and highways. I'll try your suggestions but I think the noise is coming from the plastic panels in the third row... basically where I have the camera pointed.
If you still have an issue, I can help.
I had the exact same noise and 3 service center visits did not help so I decided to take things into my own hands and resolve it myself.

the issue is that the trim you see is made out of plastic and behind it there is another plastic that is the end of the side trim.
The plastic piece that is behind it has couple of 'bumps' that are the shape of small cone and those are rubbing against your finish trim that you show in your video.
I bought some felt tape from amazon and taped those cone shape bumps (after disassembling the trim piece), put everything back together and problem is completely gone.
I used the service manual off Tesla service website to disassemble the trim piece (you need to signup) service.tesla.com, go to service manual and search for...

Trim - C-Pillar - Lower - LH (Remove and Replace)​

seems complicated but its really not, took me about 10 minutes to do the work and 30 minutes to figure out the issue which I already saved you.

If you still have an issue, I can help.
I had the exact same noise and 3 service center visits did not help so I decided to take things into my own hands and resolve it myself.

the issue is that the trim you see is made out of plastic and behind it there is another plastic that is the end of the side trim.
The plastic piece that is behind it has couple of 'bumps' that are the shape of small cone and those are rubbing against your finish trim that you show in your video.
I bought some felt tape from amazon and taped those cone shape bumps (after disassembling the trim piece), put everything back together and problem is completely gone.
I used the service manual off Tesla service website to disassemble the trim piece (you need to signup) service.tesla.com, go to service manual and search for...

Trim - C-Pillar - Lower - LH (Remove and Replace)​

seems complicated but its really not, took me about 10 minutes to do the work and 30 minutes to figure out the issue which I already saved you.
Would you be able to take a picture of the general area where you applied? No need to remove the trim again. I just wanted to get a general sense of the location.

Will do. Did you have to unscrew any bolts? Or was it just clips? The service manual shows that I need to unscrew bolts.
only 3 screws I believe. 1 for the linear trim and 2 for that huge trim that goes from the fwd rear edge all the way to the trunk.
You don't need to completely remove the huge piece, just to release it from the clips by the door and apply the felt tape on those plastic pieces that are sticking out...you'll see what I'm talking about once you'll release the trim piece from the clips by the door frame (C-piller).
Note that under the rear trunk floor cover there is a black plastic piece that needs to be removed with a bit of force to release that trim we're talking about

only 3 screws I believe. 1 for the linear trim and 2 for that huge trim that goes from the fwd rear edge all the way to the trunk.
You don't need to completely remove the huge piece, just to release it from the clips by the door and apply the felt tape on those plastic pieces that are sticking out...you'll see what I'm talking about once you'll release the trim piece from the clips by the door frame (C-piller).
Note that under the rear trunk floor cover there is a black plastic piece that needs to be removed with a bit of force to release that trim we're talking about
Screenshot_20220908_215632.jpg

Ok got it. You mean I need to unscrew the bolts from this trim piece right?

@offah

If you'll press with your hands on those areas, you most likely here the noises so that's where I applied the felt tape
View attachment 850549
Those are the areas
yeah those are exactly where I applied the tape on mine too. The reason is that FWD moving slightly up and down while driving, forcing the interim trim pieces squeezed together making plastic like noises. Instead of taping on the blue area in the pic, I tape it on the lower edges of the door itself so I don't see it.

yeah those are exactly where I applied the tape on mine too. The reason is that FWD moving slightly up and down while driving, forcing the interim trim pieces squeezed together making plastic like noises. Instead of taping on the blue area in the pic, I tape it on the lower edges of the door itself so I don't see it.
the blue tape is just to mark where I put felt tape under that trim I don't actually have that tape left on

i now understand a bit more.
We didn't had the same issue, my issue was behind the trim and then i had another issue which was the same as yours...Door rubbing against the bottom trim and causes squeaks, issue appeared after i raised the door just a tiny bit to have the exterior door buttons more aligned.
felt ape below the door edge does resolve this issue so thanks for that.

Absolutely insane that WE need to do those 'hacks' on a 150k car

Reactions: Elixir
Hello all - I'm new to the forum but I have searched in advance for this issue.

I took delivery on a 2022 Model X a few months ago. There was a host of issues that we wanted to get resolved but one is particularly annoying for a ~145k car. The inside of my car has a tremendous amount of rattling and creaking noises when driving. It is worse on city streets than it is on the highway but the issue is present for both situations. It is so annoying that I am considering selling the Model X.

I have taken the car to Tesla Tampa's service center multiple times without any success in addressing the issues. They're quite useless. They tell me that some rattle is normal for EVs... but I have driven in multiple model S,3, Ys... I just refuse to accept this. I have narrowed much of the noise down to the side panels of the second and third rows. The car seems very put together very cheaply... almost like it was 3D printed. Anyways, here is the video recorded from the third row. The issue is clearly audible but sounds much louder in person:

Realistically, what are my options? Continue escalating at Tesla Tampa? Reach out to Tesla Corporate?
We drove (2) earlier built Model X 2022 yesterday, the first one was just like this. The second one had a little of this, a tink noise coming from the front of the car you could hear inside and a ticking/creaking from the right front suspension, car had 1K miles on it. Ended up buying a later built Plaid. It also has a little of the suspension tick/creak sound and a little of the door sound. I just did the towel trick and it made the doors quiet. Have you figured out how to permanently correct this? Sad part is we traded our 2018 April built MX with 92K miles, that car was still nearly dead quiet from any creaks/rattles. I would have assumed they would be getting better but clearly adding 26K to the cost and still cheapened the car down in quality. Sad.

Reactions: Elixir
We drove (2) earlier built Model X 2022 yesterday, the first one was just like this. The second one had a little of this, a tink noise coming from the front of the car you could hear inside and a ticking/creaking from the right front suspension, car had 1K miles on it. Ended up buying a later built Plaid. It also has a little of the suspension tick/creak sound and a little of the door sound. I just did the towel trick and it made the doors quiet. Have you figured out how to permanently correct this? Sad part is we traded our 2018 April built MX with 92K miles, that car was still nearly dead quiet from any creaks/rattles. I would have assumed they would be getting better but clearly adding 26K to the cost and still cheapened the car down in quality. Sad.
And how did you solve the problem? I have a similar problem in the front passenger door. A towel helps, but I don't really want to ride with a towel at the door. Scotch, etc. don't help

Have not resolved it yet. Thinking of pulling the plastic trim and felt taping it
I removed the DOOR SILL, PILLAR LOWER trim and DOOR TRIM. The latter creaked very much when pressed on it due to the fastenings of the upper part. DOOR TRIM managed to make noiseless, but unfortunately the problem remained. My creak resembles a barely audible crackle that is especially noticeable at low speeds. I'm almost ready to give up because I don't understand where the problem is. But a towel inserted between the door and the lower pillar helps ))

Last edited: