Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Plaid Delivered

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After nearly a year of waiting I finally took delivery of the 2022 Model X Plaid and thought I would share some impressions.

1. Immediately after pulling out from the dealership, I noticed some type of noise coming from the top, front of the dash. It honestly sounds like static coming from the speakers that changes in frequency as I drive. I have tried everything and cannot get it resolved. It only starts when the vehicle is moving. I have never heard a sound like it before and I'm certain its from the speakers.
  2. I specifically chose the 20 inch wheels wanting a more quiet and cushioned ride. The ride is decent, however there is a lot of road noise from the tires. In fact, I couldn't believe how loud it was inside if I don't have the radio on. I was expecting a very quiet ride. What's more shocking is that my 2022 Model Y Performance is actually significantly quieter on the inside.
  3. I love the yoke steering wheel. The width and depth to me are perfect and feels very natural. I like it so much I wish I could retrofit one on my Model Y.
  4. The acceleration is unreal. In fact, it doesn't make sense how quickly the numbers on the speedometer increase. Simply mind blowing. However, the acceleration does not feel smooth like the Y. It judders for a bit at lower speeds. After looking it up, it's apparently a known problem. Very upsetting.
  5. The sound system overall sounds great.
  6. The sun visor doesn't work well and is honestly comical at how small it is.
  7. After installing a child seat in the rear seat, I looked for the storage compartment in the falcon door to store some items for my child and was shocked at first as there is no storage compartment. However, it makes sense because of how the falcon doors open and the items could fall onto your head. So then I reached for the seatback storage pocket and couldn't believe there wasn't one there either! There is literally no storage areas in the rear. Not very child friendly.
  8. The front seats to me are not as cushiony and as comfortable as the model Y.
  9. I decided to sit in the back seats and give them a try. After closing the falcon door, it felt a bit cramp as if the seat is too close to the door. The door can actually hit your arm if you don't have it positioned away from the door when closing. Feeling a bit cramp, I expected there to be an armrest on the seats and there wasn't one. Kind of surprising as most vehicles with captain chairs have an armrest. Overall, I didn't feel too comfortable sitting in a back seat. I'm sure its fine for shorter distances, but maybe not for longer distances.
  10. The third row seats are definitely for children. There is not much leg room at all.
  11. The refreshed larger screen is nice, however it feels like its a little too far back from the driver, whereas in the Y, it feels like the optimal distance.
  12. The overall drive and balance feels fantastic and much better than the Y. Feels more flat around corners than the Y too.
In closing, the overall vehicle is good, but has quite a bit of shortcomings. In my honest opinion it is very overpriced for what you get. I say this after having owed several upon several vehicles over 100k. I don't mean to bash the vehicle, but am just stating my honest observations which can be subjective. I'll most likely flip the vehicle as I can get a much price than what I paid and really consider if I should order another one again as I don't mind waiting. Big Maybe.

Attachments

• IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    407.9 KB · Views: 881
After nearly a year of waiting I finally took delivery of the 2022 Model X Plaid and thought I would share some impressions.

1. Immediately after pulling out from the dealership, I noticed some type of noise coming from the top, front of the dash. It honestly sounds like static coming from the speakers that changes in frequency as I drive. I have tried everything and cannot get it resolved. It only starts when the vehicle is moving. I have never heard a sound like it before and I'm certain its from the speakers.
  2. I specifically chose the 20 inch wheels wanting a more quiet and cushioned ride. The ride is decent, however there is a lot of road noise from the tires. In fact, I couldn't believe how loud it was inside if I don't have the radio on. I was expecting a very quiet ride. What's more shocking is that my 2022 Model Y Performance is actually significantly quieter on the inside.
  3. I love the yoke steering wheel. The width and depth to me are perfect and feels very natural. I like it so much I wish I could retrofit one on my Model Y.
  4. The acceleration is unreal. In fact, it doesn't make sense how quickly the numbers on the speedometer increase. Simply mind blowing. However, the acceleration does not feel smooth like the Y. It judders for a bit at lower speeds. After looking it up, it's apparently a known problem. Very upsetting.
  7. After installing a child seat in the rear seat, I looked for the storage compartment in the falcon door to store some items for my child and was shocked at first as there is no storage compartment. However, it makes sense because of how the falcon doors open and the items could fall onto your head. So then I reached for the seatback storage pocket and couldn't believe there wasn't one there either! There is literally no storage areas in the rear. Not very child friendly.
  9. I decided to sit in the back seats and give them a try. After closing the falcon door, it felt a bit cramp as if the seat is too close to the door. The door can actually hit your arm if you don't have it positioned away from the door when closing. Feeling a bit cramp, I expected there to be an armrest on the seats and there wasn't one. Kind of surprising as most vehicles with captain chairs have an armrest. Overall, I didn't feel too comfortable sitting in a back seat. I'm sure its fine for shorter distances, but maybe not for longer distances.
  10. The third row seats are definitely for children. There is not much leg room at all.
  11. The refreshed larger screen is nice, however it feels like its a little too far back from the driver, whereas in the Y, it feels like the optimal distance.
  12. The overall drive and balance feels fantastic and much better than the Y. Feels more flat around corners than the Y too.
In closing, the overall vehicle is good, but has quite a bit of shortcomings. In my honest opinion it is very overpriced for what you get. I say this after having owed several upon several vehicles over 100k. I don't mean to bash the vehicle, but am just stating my honest observations which can be subjective. I'll most likely flip the vehicle as I can get a much price than what I paid and really consider if I should order another one again as I don't mind waiting. Big Maybe.
The sun visor, if its like the legacy, is custom formed to fit along with the window shade. The two together are a very nice fit. Maybe not the most convenient, but they both feel great to me used in conjunction since my eyes are more sensitive then most.

I'm 6'3 and have sat in the third row a bunch. It's the most comfortable position I've ever had in any car, since I can stretch my legs full out into the middle and relax. Did you try stretching your legs out? My three 6'4 stepsons fight over the back row. So I disagree with you there.

Buy some aftermarket storage, there are lots out there. Peeps with kids love their X, so I'm sure you can find some storage things that work and are right for you.

You may need to do some research and get some quieter tires. I settled on Pirelli Scorpion Zero's, after going thru trying 3 diff tires from Tire Rack, specifically trying to reduce road noise at speed. I give up a bit of handling prowess and top speeds for sure, but I'm so much happier on long road trips and listening to that legacy, but still amazing sound system. Didja try the tidal hi quality downloads yet? My god.

That the X is 700 lbs heavier than the MY and you feel a better drive and balance in the X, that is some significant engineering. Mighty, even.

Own a 22 M3LR and 22MYLR, wife is really wanting to look at the MXP so this perspective really helps a lot in our decision making!
My wife just wants more room but, man, our MYLR (with 20 inch induction rims) ride like a brick, we feel very bump on the road...it's not overly quiet either, so if the MX is arguably louder, that's a step in the wrong direction.

• Informative
Reactions: geometro
I noticed the seat cushion in my Plaid X was firm but thought it was me. Then I drove my '18 MX P100d and definitely a difference. My '18 was much more comfortable. Guess it's likely they are using a different (cheaper) foam in the seat?

The sun visor, if its like the legacy, is custom formed to fit along with the window shade. The two together are a very nice fit. Maybe not the most convenient, but they both feel great to me used in conjunction since my eyes are more sensitive then most.

I'm 6'3 and have sat in the third row a bunch. It's the most comfortable position I've ever had in any car, since I can stretch my legs full out into the middle and relax. Did you try stretching your legs out? My three 6'4 stepsons fight over the back row. So I disagree with you there.

Buy some aftermarket storage, there are lots out there. Peeps with kids love their X, so I'm sure you can find some storage things that work and are right for you.

You may need to do some research and get some quieter tires. I settled on Pirelli Scorpion Zero's, after going thru trying 3 diff tires from Tire Rack, specifically trying to reduce road noise at speed. I give up a bit of handling prowess and top speeds for sure, but I'm so much happier on long road trips and listening to that legacy, but still amazing sound system. Didja try the tidal hi quality downloads yet? My god.

That the X is 700 lbs heavier than the MY and you feel a better drive and balance in the X, that is some significant engineering. Mighty, even.
The issue with the 3rd row and sitting in the middle is that there are cupholders built into the seats there, so you would be sitting on top of them.

I'm sure there are options for storage like aftermarket seat storage that installs over the front 2 seats, but they do look a bit tacky. I just don't understand how Telsa couldn't install setback pocket storage? There doesn't seem to be any valid reason for doing so aside from cost savings, which has to be nominal.

The thing with changing out tires is that it's a brand new vehicle at at this price point, it should be quieter than it is. The Y performance has double pane windows on the front that you can feel, and the ones on the X don't feel the same. I'm not sure if they are double pane or not.

The air suspension really makes a difference! If the Y has air suspension, it would be outstanding.

Wonder if the noise when driving at low speed is the pedestrian warning system?

If you don't need the performance, you definitely should flip it. I can't wait to get mine and I'll wear earmuffs if necessary.
It's not the pedestrian warning system. It starts at low speeds and remains there all speeds until I come to a stop. It's a crackling, static noise.

I definitely need the performance!

Own a 22 M3LR and 22MYLR, wife is really wanting to look at the MXP so this perspective really helps a lot in our decision making!
My wife just wants more room but, man, our MYLR (with 20 inch induction rims) ride like a brick, we feel very bump on the road...it's not overly quiet either, so if the MX is arguably louder, that's a step in the wrong direction.
I actually held off over a year on buying a Y performance because of the 21's and lower springs. I figured the ride would be very firm and uncomfortable. To my surprise after test driving one at Tesla and then renting one from Turo for a weekend, it was more compliant than I expected and so I pulled the trigger. No regrets. It's not luxury smooth, but to me, a good balance.

I noticed the seat cushion in my Plaid X was firm but thought it was me. Then I drove my '18 MX P100d and definitely a difference. My '18 was much more comfortable. Guess it's likely they are using a different (cheaper) foam in the seat?
Compared to a Y performance, it is 100% firmer. Maybe it will break in over time, but I love the seats in the Y.

You're the second person today to mention the MY seats are way more comfortable than the X and that the MY is also quieter than the X. I have Plaid X on order. This is concerning.

Also, this reviewer,
claims that his loaner 2016 X is WAY quieter than his new 2022 refresh X.
Hopefully Tesla dealers will get some inventory as demo's, which I think will be really valuable for prospective buyers to test out. It is still shocking to me that the MYP has less road noise. I do wonder if maybe the tires need to be broken in and will get quieter then? Although, never had this happen on any other vehicle I believe.

I didn’t like my X shortly after I purchased it, the car has features most people won’t use or understand, people will become jealous when they see the doors open. If it wasn’t for retirement, unlimited supercharging, FSD for cross country driving, I would have dumped it. 93000 miles later, half shafts are a hassle every 23000 miles or so. I really like most of the car four years later.

Last edited:
I think you broke your seat in on 18MX, I also like the M3/MY seat bottom better than my MX seat. I use a cushion lab seat bottom road tripping my MX.

The issue with the 3rd row and sitting in the middle is that there are cupholders built into the seats there, so you would be sitting on top of them.

Not really though. I’ve sat in the back of ours for some long-ish trips and it’s actually really quite comfortable. You sit in the seat with your feet sit at a slight angle towards the middle - not sure how else to explain it, but it’s comfy. Especially in the 6-seat configuration, there’s oodles of legroom due to the monopod.
I'm sure there are options for storage like aftermarket seat storage that installs over the front 2 seats, but they do look a bit tacky. I just don't understand how Telsa couldn't install setback pocket storage? There doesn't seem to be any valid reason for doing so aside from cost savings, which has to be nominal.

So here’s the thing …. For me, seat pockets are useless. They just don’t hold anything of value. I’ve always found myself (even in our kid toting days) using some other form of storage anyway.

Now on the X - that space between the two seats is glorious. Plenty of room for storage there.

Prior to the X, we had an Enclave. The Buick is *cavernous* inside - really. I can’t think of a crossover with more room.

But that said — the X actually, for us, is more functional. The monopod seats mean you can store things underneath. The flat floor and gap between seats is phenomenal.

Give it some time, and look at some storage bin options. There’s plenty out there. It was a bit of a change for us at first but I can’t imagine going back now.

Few things we do miss - armrests in the 2nd row for one, and … we’ll, that’s about it, really.
The thing with changing out tires is that it's a brand new vehicle at at this price point, it should be quieter than it is. The Y performance has double pane windows on the front that you can feel, and the ones on the X don't feel the same. I'm not sure if they are double pane or not.

The air suspension really makes a difference! If the Y has air suspension, it would be outstanding.

Agree with you here. We did end up with new tires after a little over a year; but we cooked them pretty well on an X-country road trip, too. There are plenty of better tires on the market than the OEMs.