Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X (Plaid) Energy Graph

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, New to the Tesla world. Our 2022 Model X Plaid finally arrived in June. I don’t understand the obsession with the energy chart. The car tells me the range remaining. I’m not going to alter my speed on the interstate because of wind. I’m going to set the cruise the speed I want and I’ll charge when I need to.

Maybe I’m missing something. I’d love to hear the logic reason to alter your driving to achieve better mileage. I also find that the range is pretty darn accurate. I live on the east coast of Florida. Had a trip to St. Petersburg this past weekend which was 122 miles. Charged to 100% the night before, did the round trip, 244 miles and had 9% when I got back home. AC on, seat AC on, phone Bluetooth playing music, and 96 degrees out. Also drove 80 mph when traffic aloud.

That‘s pretty good to me.
It’s mainly of interest if you are cutting it close. The energy graph provided an accurate estimate of range, based upon your actual driving over the last 5, 15 or 30 miles. As long as that distance was greater than the distance to you destination, you were cool. If you are navigating to a destination, you can proceed based upon the warning messages. But I prefer to monitor that in real-time, rather than not. It is a data element that is provided to all other Tesla vehicles, except the refreshed X and S. Energy management was something that was easy to do in a Tesla. That is no longer the case.

On my new LR just under 350 Wh/mi is pretty common at the higher speeds.
It’s rated by EPA for 347 Wh/mi highway driving, so that seems consistent.
A couple of recent trips* I did get under 300 Wh/mi. I was probably driving no more than 65 mph on the highways and there very little wind.

*Example: Recent trip out to SpaceX plus a few other stops on the way back - 189 miles, 283 Wh/mi. Approx 80% of it was on interstate, driving around 67mph. Was already 100F by noon.

But when I look at energy used since delivery in June - around 1000 miles - I see 340 Wh/mi.

But that's not what Tesla claims. Tesla claims your LR with 20" wheels can go 351 miles combined but the EPA claims combined is 330 wh / mile with a rang of 348 miles. But to get 348 miles combined out of 95 kwh usuable, you have to get 273 wh/mile. To get Tesla's claimed combined rated range you have to get a 270.6 wh/mile.

But that's not what Tesla claims. Tesla claims your LR with 20" wheels can go 351 miles combined but the EPA claims combined is 330 wh / mile with a rang of 348 miles. But to get 348 miles combined out of 95 kwh usuable, you have to get 273 wh/mile. To get Tesla's claimed combined rated range you have to get a 270.6 wh/mile.
I’m not seeing anywhere near that low. I might have gotten 278 Wh/mi on the best one. I often see under 300 Wh/mi, even under 290 Wh/mi. A recent 1,262 mile multi-day trip east with mostly interstate driving averaged 300 Wh/mi which I thought was pretty darn good when compared to the EPA numbers.

Hey everyone, New to the Tesla world. Our 2022 Model X Plaid finally arrived in June. I don’t understand the obsession with the energy chart. The car tells me the range remaining. I’m not going to alter my speed on the interstate because of wind. I’m going to set the cruise the speed I want and I’ll charge when I need to.

Maybe I’m missing something. I’d love to hear the logic reason to alter your driving to achieve better mileage. I also find that the range is pretty darn accurate. I live on the east coast of Florida. Had a trip to St. Petersburg this past weekend which was 122 miles. Charged to 100% the night before, did the round trip, 244 miles and had 9% when I got back home. AC on, seat AC on, phone Bluetooth playing music, and 96 degrees out. Also drove 80 mph when traffic aloud.

You probably don't need it as much when driving in Florida, the state with the second highest number of Superchargers, but try driving out west or across the Plains. It can be over 100 miles to the next closest Supercharger or much farther if you want to leave the interstate and travel a more direct or scenic route. This can save hours of driving and cut hundreds of miles off a trip. The energy graph lets you see how well your energy consumption is going compared to be what is expected for the route. If there are some strong headwinds that develop or a heavy rain/snowstorm comes along, your range can be greatly reduced. The energy graph can then give you a very good estimate of how fast you can go and still make it to a distant Supercharger.

Or use in winter where the cold sucks the range. We don't all live in sunny Florida. Say only change to 90% and use to 10% for battery longevity, then loose 40% range to the cold. The 348 epa becomes under 200 miles usable range. Binacle range is useless for these months as it's off almost 50 %. The engery graph showed a better range based on current consumption. The refresh needs to have the graph fixed and brought back before winter as the range is missing on the right side if use voice to bring up in old version before they removed it. (I haven't taken a software update in 2 updates because they removed it. Know it isn't good in my version, but whH/mi is there so better than nothing).

You probably don't need it as much when driving in Florida but try driving out west or across the Plains. It can be over 100 miles to the next closest Supercharger or much farther if you want to leave the interstate and travel a more direct or scenic route. This can save hours of driving and cut hundreds of miles off a trip. The energy graph lets you see how well your energy consumption is going compared to be what is expected for the route. If there are some strong headwinds that develop or a heavy rain/snowstorm comes along, your range can be greatly reduced. The energy graph can then give you a very good estimate of how fast you can go and still make it to a distant Supercharger.
Our first supercharger heading north is 180 miles. Our first “test” trip leaving home at 98% we arrived at 26% driving generally at 70mph with an OK tailwind but very hot temperatures. Tesla had initially predicted 31% arrival SoC, so it was dropping during the trip. If weather conditions had been worse - stormy, strong north winds, etc., it could have been much worse.

So yeah, we pay attention.

Tesla makes no such claim. 351 is the result of an EPA test, allowing similar vehicles can be compared. But to call that a Tesla "claim" is a bit of a stretch, at the very least.

Did you ever figure this out? I just accepted my 2022 MX plaid after owning a 2016 signature MX. I found that the only way was to use the voice control. Activate voice command and say “show energy”. You will see the energy graph. I have not found another way.

Did you ever figure this out? I just accepted my 2022 MX plaid after owning a 2016 signature MX. I found that the only way was to use the voice control. Activate voice command and say “show energy”. You will see the energy graph. I have not found another way.
And this voice command is no longer recognized in software version 2022.20.

Hmmm…. My software says I’m current and I’m on 2022.16.3? How can that be?
2022.16 is an earlier version than 2022.20 . We used the voice command fine with 2022.16.

Your car may say you are current, but you don’t have the latest software version. This is common. How they decide to deploy software updates is very mysterious.

It could be because you just got your MX Plaid.

I took Delivery of my Tesla ModelX Plaid in early August. I looked for the Energy Screen - not there. After some digging I found that it could be enabled with a voice command - “Show Energy”. It worked I was relieved. After the first update I tried the command again. “Command Not Available”. Apparently it has been scrapped. Not Happy.

5 seat 6 seat and 7 seat on 20” wheels have a different range on the Tesla site not sure what the epa is listing but you may need to read the fine print
I was feeling deceived by this also. But upon further study, the Tesla site shows 351 EST for the 5 seat. Change to 6 seater on the site and get 348 EPA EST. Change to 7 seat and get 347 EST. Looks like the 6 seater was run through the EPA tests, and the 5/7 are both estimates based on weight differences. 351 SOUNDS better than 348 though. (I can say I have an estimate of OVER 350 miles. Phycological games being played.)

I was feeling deceived by this also. But upon further study, the Tesla site shows 351 EST for the 5 seat. Change to 6 seater on the site and get 348 EPA EST. Change to 7 seat and get 347 EST. Looks like the 6 seater was run through the EPA tests, and the 5/7 are both estimates based on weight differences. 351 SOUNDS better than 348 though. (I can say I have an estimate of OVER 350 miles. Phycological games being played.)
Don't forget, these measurements were derived with the car empty. Add a thousand pounds of passengers and cargo, and the numbers mean even less. They were not intended to provide a real range. Instead they are provided so you can compare different vehicles.

Looks like Palladium S/X are getting their Energy Graph back on firmware 2022.36 :D but now with more information and a major UI update as it will now display the energy consumption of your vehicle while driving and while parked, and you will now see which components consumed the most energy, including environmental conditions and will also get personalized suggestions to improve efficiency:

FdWtdgDUYAAnpIj
FdWtdgGUYAMgMNA

Also "Occupancy History" (Busy Times Graph) for Superchargers.

Source: Teslascope on Twitter:

Looks like Palladium S/X are getting their Energy Graph back on firmware 2022.36 :D but now with more information and a major UI update as it will now display the energy consumption of your vehicle while driving and while parked, and you will now see which components consumed the most energy, including environmental conditions and will also get personalized suggestions to improve efficiency:

FdWtdgDUYAAnpIj
FdWtdgGUYAMgMNA

Also "Occupancy History" (Busy Times Graph) for Superchargers.

Source: Teslascope on Twitter:

For the 3Y and pre refresh S/X. It updates the energy app on the vehicles that have it already.