Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Refresh - Unlock ALL Doors on Approach?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla Community! I purchases my first Model S in 2012, and have considered myself to be a fairly early adopter. These forums were helpful for me in the early years, but I rarely posted my own question. However, after 10 years (and 8 Tesla purchases between myself, my wife, and our kids), I have a question that I hope someone can answer:

On my previous Model X models, as I approached the car (with fob in hand), the driver door would auto-present, and other doors (including trunk) would unlock. This was the case for my 2016 90X, and my 2018 100D.

With my 2022 Model X refresh, I have no fob. I use my iPhone, as we do for my Y, and my wife's 3. And I LOVE using the phone instead of the Fob. And yes, I know that I could purchase one. But I love having one less thing in my pocket. When I approach my 2022X (phone in hand), the driver door auto-opens, the mirrors unfold on both sides, but the other doors remain locked. This includes passenger, FWD, and trunk...they all remain locked. Is this normal behavior? I believe all of my settings are correct (again, I have been doing this for 10 years+!), but I can't imagine that the Refresh 2022X wouldn't unlock all doors when the Phone approaches.

Please let me know if this is a known issue (as the "door closing problem" was in spring 2022), or if perhaps there is a setting that I need to turn on, or perhaps if I should have service take a look? Or perhaps this just the way the X works, when used without a FOB.

Thank you!

Hello Tesla Community! I purchases my first Model S in 2012, and have considered myself to be a fairly early adopter. These forums were helpful for me in the early years, but I rarely posted my own question. However, after 10 years (and 8 Tesla purchases between myself, my wife, and our kids), I have a question that I hope someone can answer:

On my previous Model X models, as I approached the car (with fob in hand), the driver door would auto-present, and other doors (including trunk) would unlock. This was the case for my 2016 90X, and my 2018 100D.

With my 2022 Model X refresh, I have no fob. I use my iPhone, as we do for my Y, and my wife's 3. And I LOVE using the phone instead of the Fob. And yes, I know that I could purchase one. But I love having one less thing in my pocket. When I approach my 2022X (phone in hand), the driver door auto-opens, the mirrors unfold on both sides, but the other doors remain locked. This includes passenger, FWD, and trunk...they all remain locked. Is this normal behavior? I believe all of my settings are correct (again, I have been doing this for 10 years+!), but I can't imagine that the Refresh 2022X wouldn't unlock all doors when the Phone approaches.

Please let me know if this is a known issue (as the "door closing problem" was in spring 2022), or if perhaps there is a setting that I need to turn on, or perhaps if I should have service take a look? Or perhaps this just the way the X works, when used without a FOB.

Thank you!

Hi,

I dont have a model X, but I have a model 3 and Y, which both have used the "phone as key" feature for as long as those vehicles have been produced by tesla.

I mention this to say I dont have direct model X experience, but experience with phone as key. With that out of the way...

Have you checked the door unlock mode? If its set to "driver door unlock" mode, I believe it has the behavior you are experiencing. See below, and try turning that off if its on.

==========================

Driver Door Unlock Mode​

Enabling Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode only unlocks the driver door when you first unlock Model X. The driver door unlocks only if a key is present on the driver side of the vehicle and not the passenger side. To unlock the remaining doors, use the touchscreen, mobile app or press the key fob a second time.