Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X roof sensor not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes you can change the height from auto to low so it only opens half way. That should reduce the risk of hitting the ceiling. But I am not sure about cars parking next. I believe the trajectory of the door opening might be different when it detects car parking next, especially in tight space.
There is another way to set it to a certain height for a location (ie garage) - by pressing (hold it until desired height) on the open FWD button on the door, or from Controls.

This height/location is confirmed by a long beep. See attached.
20221001_094800.jpg
20221001_094523.jpg

I did both the double steering wheel reset and the console Shutdown on the car. The doors appear to work again for the moment but will be looking out for any repeats.

How do we get tesla to repair the damage for the sensor failure?
Well, I picked up my car mid-Aug and ran into this issue on the next day. My passenger side roof glass was cracked by hitting my garage door opener. Luckily Tesla admit the issue and replaced it for me with no charge.

On the side note: I understand X is an complicated system comparing other models, but this is the most basic function which suppose to work EVERY time or what should I do if someday sensor fail and hurt other people or car? I saw people get hyped on the TeslaBot but to be honest, I don’t trust them can build a working bot when they can’t even get this basic function right.

Well, I picked up my car mid-Aug and ran into this issue on the next day. My passenger side roof glass was cracked by hitting my garage door opener. Luckily Tesla admit the issue and replaced it for me with no charge.

On the side note: I understand X is an complicated system comparing other models, but this is the most basic function which suppose to work EVERY time or what should I do if someday sensor fail and hurt other people or car? I saw people get hyped on the TeslaBot but to be honest, I don’t trust them can build a working bot when they can’t even get this basic function right.
Thanks for the information!
Did they identify the cause of the issue or they just fixed the glass? Have you seen it happening again?

I did both the double steering wheel reset and the console Shutdown on the car. The doors appear to work again for the moment but will be looking out for any repeats.

How do we get tesla to repair the damage for the sensor failure?
So you were able to fix it right away with resetting? I always had to wait for at least 2 hours for it to go sleep.
I had a mobile service coming and I couldt reproduce the issue. Have a service center visit in two days and will update it here.

They said it’s SW problem. And yes, it just happened to me again on Fri and this afternoon miraculously fixed by itself..😔
I went to buy myself a lottery ticket right away since it’s must be my lucky day.
IMO it's an SW issue as well since it can solve by itself after somehow rebooting the sensor system after waking up. Hopefully we can get Tesla's attension and have it fixed by an update.

So you were able to fix it right away with resetting? I always had to wait for at least 2 hours for it to go sleep.
I had a mobile service coming and I couldt reproduce the issue. Have a service center visit in two days and will update it here.

Only time will tell if it would reoccur. The restart took car of mine right away. Didn’t have to wait hours or anything. I couldn’t tell you if it was the first steering wheel or 2nd shutdown that did the trick because I did both back to back before trying the door.

I always reboot with the screen going black while seated in the car. Press both buttons on steering wheel while holding down brake pedal. What to everything to go dark. Release. I don't think I have every rebooted with the car attached to the charger.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but the brake does absolutely nothing during a reset. Wholly unnecessary, and more importantly, there is NO difference between holding down the two scroll wheels and scroll-wheels-and-brake.

I’m on a bit of a crusade to fix that old wives’ tale, so please accept my apologies!

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but the brake does absolutely nothing during a reset. Wholly unnecessary, and more importantly, there is NO difference between holding down the two scroll wheels and scroll-wheels-and-brake.

I’m on a bit of a crusade to fix that old wives’ tale, so please accept my apologies!
Well. I was told that it was different by Tesla support when my 2018 X refused to go into backup or forward 3 days after I got it.

And my car does seem to respond differently when continuing to hold down the brake after the car's displays have gone black. The car's ventilation system shuts down (the fans quit blowing) and the car goes completely silent, and all interior lights go out. When I release the buttons, the system slowly come back up. If I do with the yoke buttons only it appears to only effect the displays.

FWIW, in the original case, this did not fix the issue. The thing that fixed it was to open the frunk, pull the shielding, and disconnect, count to 10, and reconnect the first responder wire. A mechanic at the SC showed me how to do that one the 2018 X. Not sure if that will work on the 2022 X, but I will try it some day.

Last edited:
I just picked up my Tesla x 2 days ago and same thing is happening to me.

It says when door is set to “auto” it’s suppose to open the door in the lower mode. But today it suddenly opened it up fully and damaged my car when it hit the garage motor.

It’s not just the roof sensor for me, I stand next to the door and the door just pushed me away without stopping and open fully
So I finally took my car in for repair. They seem to think
I just picked up my Tesla x 2 days ago and same thing is happening to me.

It says when door is set to “auto” it’s suppose to open the door in the lower mode. But today it suddenly opened it up fully and damaged my car when it hit the garage motor.

It’s not just the roof sensor for me, I stand next to the door and the door just pushed me away without stopping and open fully
so I took my car in to take a look at this issue. When I was there I did a demonstration where I stand next to the FWD and it didn’t detect me and door opened into me. At that moment, both tech and service seems to think it’s a software issue. I also told them the issue with the sensor on top and how it didn’t auto open at a lower mode when it’s parked indoor and said they would fix the damages on the door.

They said it’ll take a couple days to fix. So they gave me a loaner. It’s has been a day since I dropped off my car. And now the Tesla app said the technician took a look at the doors and find no evidence of faulty mechanical system and now it’s estimate to charge me $800 for the door damage.

My guess is that they rebooted the car and now the sensors are working. Any advice on what to do here?

Well. I was told that it was different by Tesla support when my 2018 X refused to go into backup or forward 3 days after I got it.

And my car does seem to respond differently when continuing to hold down the brake after the car's displays have gone black. The car's ventilation system shuts down (the fans quit blowing) and the car goes completely silent, and all interior lights go out. When I release the buttons, the system slowly come back up. If I do with the yoke buttons only it appears to only effect the displays.

FWIW, in the original case, this did not fix the issue. The thing that fixed it was to open the frunk, pull the shielding, and disconnect, count to 10, and reconnect the first responder wire. A mechanic at the SC showed me how to do that one the 2018 X. Not sure if that will work on the 2022 X, but I will try it some day.

Pulling the FR loop still works on the 2022 X. No changes in that department, thankfully. Our Owners Club runs a crash course for first responders and it’s complex enough between each model. I’m glad they didn’t muck up the FR loop! That’s one of the most important hands-on demos we do. Bear in mind though that cutting the FR loop doesn’t totally disable 12V; it disables the *contactors* on the HV side and the airbag circuits, but there is still 12V power. That’s consistent across all models though.

I assure you the brake doesn’t make a difference but hey, maybe the placebo effect is worth it? Sure doesn’t hurt anything either so no harm no foul.

Pulling the FR loop still works on the 2022 X. No changes in that department, thankfully. Our Owners Club runs a crash course for first responders and it’s complex enough between each model. I’m glad they didn’t muck up the FR loop! That’s one of the most important hands-on demos we do. Bear in mind though that cutting the FR loop doesn’t totally disable 12V; it disables the *contactors* on the HV side and the airbag circuits, but there is still 12V power. That’s consistent across all models though.

I assure you the brake doesn’t make a difference but hey, maybe the placebo effect is worth it? Sure doesn’t hurt anything either so no harm no foul.
New X owner here. Would you mind to share details on how to “pull the FR loop”? Thanks in advance

My issue reappeared. My wife came home form work and car did the same thing in the garage. Again more damage to the door. I rebooted the system last night and the door opened fine this morning. Since there is a chance that Tesla will fix/repair the damage to the door, I'm more open to further testing. My current speculation is the heat or sun from my wife parked outside through the workday. This shouldn't be the case if I think about the weather being significantly hotter weeks ago when we first got the car. i.e. If this was the root cause, it should have happened Day 1 after taking ownership of the car. I'll try again when she gets home today. If it hits, I'll do another reboot and immediately open the door to see if it hits after the reboot.

Will submit a Tesla ticket for repair. Will also look out for @JakeTheCoyote 's experience as well he said Tesla found no fault. Any details there Jake?

Good to know the RF loop disconnect still works. I guess one would hope it would since it is to prevent fires and such. I was reading though the Tesla document I found for first responders and noticed it still shows the 12V battery. But the newer cars have the much smaller LI battery. I hope I was either looking at an old document, or Tesla updates it to show the new battery.

Regarding the reboot. I have heard different things. Such as the brake does not matter and changing wheel size is the way to go to get a deeper reboot. I changed wheel size, and it did not seem to have any more effect to me. At least it did not shutdown the ventilation system, etc. Any thoughts on this?

So I finally took my car in for repair. They seem to think

so I took my car in to take a look at this issue. When I was there I did a demonstration where I stand next to the FWD and it didn’t detect me and door opened into me. At that moment, both tech and service seems to think it’s a software issue. I also told them the issue with the sensor on top and how it didn’t auto open at a lower mode when it’s parked indoor and said they would fix the damages on the door.

They said it’ll take a couple days to fix. So they gave me a loaner. It’s has been a day since I dropped off my car. And now the Tesla app said the technician took a look at the doors and find no evidence of faulty mechanical system and now it’s estimate to charge me $800 for the door damage.

My guess is that they rebooted the car and now the sensors are working. Any advice on what to do here?
show them this thread so they know this is a wider issue happening to recently delivered cars?

Last edited:
There is another way to set it to a certain height for a location (ie garage) - by pressing (hold it until desired height) on the open FWD button on the door, or from Controls.

This height/location is confirmed by a long beep. See attached.View attachment 858884View attachment 858885
Can you confirm that it will only open to the height that you set? I am scared to do this because that is not what the screen says. The screen specifically says "Always open fully at this location". "Open fully" and "Open to the current height" is different.

I don't want to try this as it will bash into the ceiling if it goes all the way up. But I do want it to go "almost" all the way up.

The manual is clear when doing this with the trunk and it works perfectly. Although I wish it would save the height based on location - I hate having to lift the trunk manually when I am in an open parking lot.

My issue reappeared. My wife came home form work and car did the same thing in the garage. Again more damage to the door. I rebooted the system last night and the door opened fine this morning. Since there is a chance that Tesla will fix/repair the damage to the door, I'm more open to further testing. My current speculation is the heat or sun from my wife parked outside through the workday. This shouldn't be the case if I think about the weather being significantly hotter weeks ago when we first got the car. i.e. If this was the root cause, it should have happened Day 1 after taking ownership of the car. I'll try again when she gets home today. If it hits, I'll do another reboot and immediately open the door to see if it hits after the reboot.

Will submit a Tesla ticket for repair. Will also look out for @JakeTheCoyote 's experience as well he said Tesla found no fault. Any details there Jake?
I always rely on those "shields" surrounding the car before openning the FWD to see if this issue is occuring. If it does, I will stand next to the door and use phone to open the door so that I can immediately stop it if it opens fast, which is a sign when the issue exists.