Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X roof sensor not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you confirm that it will only open to the height that you set? I am scared to do this because that is not what the screen says. The screen specifically says "Always open fully at this location". "Open fully" and "Open to the current height" is different.

I don't want to try this as it will bash into the ceiling if it goes all the way up. But I do want it to go "almost" all the way up.

The manual is clear when doing this with the trunk and it works perfectly. Although I wish it would save the height based on location - I hate having to lift the trunk manually when I am in an open parking lot.
My FWD is set to open only to the height I set. I can see how the manual's wording is confusing.
Let me check and confirm - later today. See if I can link a video how to. BrB.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
My issue reappeared. My wife came home form work and car did the same thing in the garage. Again more damage to the door. I rebooted the system last night and the door opened fine this morning. Since there is a chance that Tesla will fix/repair the damage to the door, I'm more open to further testing. My current speculation is the heat or sun from my wife parked outside through the workday. This shouldn't be the case if I think about the weather being significantly hotter weeks ago when we first got the car. i.e. If this was the root cause, it should have happened Day 1 after taking ownership of the car. I'll try again when she gets home today. If it hits, I'll do another reboot and immediately open the door to see if it hits after the reboot.

Will submit a Tesla ticket for repair. Will also look out for @JakeTheCoyote 's experience as well he said Tesla found no fault. Any details there Jake?

I have not picked up my car, nor have I talked to any service member from the shop. But the technicians note in the Tesla App is committed that there’s no mechanical faults and that I should be responsible for the cost of door repair, which is $800.

But what’s frustrating is that I never agreed to this amount, they estimated the cost is $0 when I reviewed the cost. And it clearly listed door repair is $0. I agreed to the $0 cost estimate. But now it’s saying I have $800 outdated estimate. And from the note, it looks like the door repair is actually performed and fixed

I want to give the benefit of the doubt. I am hoping by the time I pick up my car, Tesla will waive the cost. I also messaged the service shop via Tesla app saying the sensor issue could be resolved after software reboot or reset. But it was definitely a malfunction when the door was damaged. No response from Tesla yet.

All the repair seems to be done, I’m waiting for Tesla to call me to pick up my car. Estimated time to pick up is tomorrow

Reactions: niveknow
Good to know the RF loop disconnect still works. I guess one would hope it would since it is to prevent fires and such. I was reading though the Tesla document I found for first responders and noticed it still shows the 12V battery. But the newer cars have the much smaller LI battery. I hope I was either looking at an old document, or Tesla updates it to show the new battery.

Regarding the reboot. I have heard different things. Such as the brake does not matter and changing wheel size is the way to go to get a deeper reboot. I changed wheel size, and it did not seem to have any more effect to me. At least it did not shutdown the ventilation system, etc. Any thoughts on this?

All of the First Responder guides are here: First Responders | Tesla
The newest Model S ERG calls out the Li-Ion low voltage battery, but I don't see a refresh-X guide posted yet.

As for reboots -- the scroll wheels simply restart the MCU computer and instrument cluster. The wheel-size-change also resets several controllers in the car beyond just the MCU. I recently had a case where my car was absolutely stuck in Car Wash Mode; just simply would not exit. We had to push the car out of the wash tunnel. Scroll wheel reset was ineffective -it rebooted the MCU but was still stuck in Car Wash Mode. I had to do a wheel size change, which power-cycles some of the system controllers, to actually get it unstuck. Was a bizarre case, but the car wash owner learned something that day :)

Reactions: jboy210
I have not picked up my car, nor have I talked to any service member from the shop. But the technicians note in the Tesla App is committed that there’s no mechanical faults and that I should be responsible for the cost of door repair, which is $800.

But what’s frustrating is that I never agreed to this amount, they estimated the cost is $0 when I reviewed the cost. And it clearly listed door repair is $0. I agreed to the $0 cost estimate. But now it’s saying I have $800 outdated estimate. And from the note, it looks like the door repair is actually performed and fixed

I want to give the benefit of the doubt. I am hoping by the time I pick up my car, Tesla will waive the cost. I also messaged the service shop via Tesla app saying the sensor issue could be resolved after software reboot or reset. But it was definitely a malfunction when the door was damaged. No response from Tesla yet.

All the repair seems to be done, I’m waiting for Tesla to call me to pick up my car. Estimated time to pick up is tomorrow

It's a perfectly fair position to remind them that it was quoted as zero dollars before you brought it in thus it should be honored.

Several of us here are in the same pickle with the door so very interested in Telsa's response. The software reboot to fix the problem is IMHO not sufficient. Am I expected to reboot the car daily before I open the door just in case it hits? Telsa needs a better explanation along with how they fixed it.. Not just say reboot and problem goes away.

Reactions: rpo
All of the First Responder guides are here: First Responders | Tesla
The newest Model S ERG calls out the Li-Ion low voltage battery, but I don't see a refresh-X guide posted yet.

As for reboots -- the scroll wheels simply restart the MCU computer and instrument cluster. The wheel-size-change also resets several controllers in the car beyond just the MCU. I recently had a case where my car was absolutely stuck in Car Wash Mode; just simply would not exit. We had to push the car out of the wash tunnel. Scroll wheel reset was ineffective -it rebooted the MCU but was still stuck in Car Wash Mode. I had to do a wheel size change, which power-cycles some of the system controllers, to actually get it unstuck. Was a bizarre case, but the car wash owner learned something that day :)
Being stuck Car wash would be bad.

Right now, I have a strange annoyance so am looking for a better deep reboot. When the car is parked something is still running and makes a medium pitch whining noise. Runs all night and I believe drops my battery SOC by 2-3 additional percent. I have tried Buttons, Buttons + brake, and changing wheel size with no luck. I guess I could pull the FR wire, but was hoping for something less drastic, before I take it in.

My FWD is set to open only to the height I set. I can see how the manual's wording is confusing.
Let me check and confirm - later today. See if I can link a video how to. BrB.
Thank you for the reply. The wording in the manual is clear. It's the wording on the car's screen that scares me (you posted a pic in your post). The screen says "Always open fully". To me, "fully" means "all the way". But I would love it if it worked like it did in the manual.

I just picked up my Tesla x 2 days ago and same thing is happening to me.

It says when door is set to “auto” it’s suppose to open the door in the lower mode. But today it suddenly opened it up fully and damaged my car when it hit the garage motor.

It’s not just the roof sensor for me, I stand next to the door and the door just pushed me away without stopping and open fully
I just picked up my car from Tesla service with good news and bad news.
Good news is that they were able to fix the door damage (paint and dent) without a cost.
Bad news is that the top sensor is still not working correctly. I entered my garage, and the "shield" is still not there indicating there's no object above. I'm suspecting this is a software issue rather than hardware. So for the time being, I'm going to manually set my door height at home, and for anywhere else, I'll look for the top, left and right shields before I open the door. Hopefully software update is able to fix this issue soon.
I can only assume when the shields are there, the door will open safely.

I also sent my car to service center today. They confirmed the issue from the log but couldn't reproduce the error. I was asked to continue monitoring the issue and do bug reporting (with voice command). See the summary attached. I found it helpful to take a photo of the control panel when the issue happens and resolves so there is a timestamp.
IMG_2416.PNG

Reactions: jiehan
Thank you for the reply. The wording in the manual is clear. It's the wording on the car's screen that scares me (you posted a pic in your post). The screen says "Always open fully". To me, "fully" means "all the way". But I would love it if it worked like it did in the manual.
The FWD will fully open when you select "Always open fully at this location". This is the same time confusing because it will open fully only at that height where you overrode and triggered the option "Always open fully at this location".

I know that this is not the Maximum Height that the FWD can reach because I had once hit my garage door when I did FWD Calibration, thinking that "always fully open" means MaXimum Height. The FWD can go higher (as seen during calibration) than the threshold height of "always fully open" FWD.

Have you tried to override the FWD opening height and see at what point would you see the "Always open fully" option?

Would like to remind to be careful when figuring this out....
20221005_185113.jpg

Last edited:
Hi @RoBoRaT Thank you for trying to help me figure this out. You would think that after 12 years of dealing w/ Tesla I would be able to figure out their UI quirks ;)

So I just did a test. With the garage door open (over the top of the car), I opened the FWDs. They stopped well short of where they could. I used the 2nd row buttons to raise them to where I wanted them (I have done this numerous times in the past to give passengers a little more room). I then clicked the "open fully at this location" link on the screen. I then closed the FWDs and the garage door. Next I tried opening the passenger FWD. This one can safely open all the way if the garage door is down so I wasn't risking any damage. Sure enough, it opened all the way up, not where I had stopped it before. So I hit the X to cancel the Always open fully and it went back to using the sensors and stopping short. What did I do wrong?

Hi @RoBoRaT Thank you for trying to help me figure this out. You would think that after 12 years of dealing w/ Tesla I would be able to figure out their UI quirks ;)

So I just did a test. With the garage door open (over the top of the car), I opened the FWDs. They stopped well short of where they could. I used the 2nd row buttons to raise them to where I wanted them (I have done this numerous times in the past to give passengers a little more room). I then clicked the "open fully at this location" link on the screen. I then closed the FWDs and the garage door. Next I tried opening the passenger FWD. This one can safely open all the way if the garage door is down so I wasn't risking any damage. Sure enough, it opened all the way up, not where I had stopped it before. So I hit the X to cancel the Always open fully and it went back to using the sensors and stopping short. What did I do wrong?
You did setting the height correctly. It's this UI that can't be trusted.

TBH, I don't open the FWD wIth the garage door above them, and I don't trust this FWD system enough that I rely on the set desired height. It works rather inconsistently.

We'll just have to watch it, I guess.

SO I've been monitoring my sensor "shield" since the last time I posted. It's so weird and random. There are days that it works FINE. There are days when if I stand in front of the door, it detects my presence and does not open all the way. Then other days, where it will open fully and smack me out of the way. I cannot determine which factors contribute to it working and to it NOT working. My next appointment with Tesla is on 10/12. Will be inquiring further and will follow up here!

Reactions: bowhan
Took deliver Sept 1. The FWD sensors worked perfectly for the first two weeks. One morning after a software update my husband went out as usual and opened the drivers side FWD as he had every morning for a week and the door hit the garage door rails (took off paint and dented the door). Another software update a few days later and it didn’t happen again. I’m now a bit paranoid every time the car updates.

Reactions: bowhan and henderrj
Same issue with everyone else here. Took delivery of a new LR X 2 weeks ago and for the first 2 weeks, the top sensor always detected my garage and the screen shows the "sensor shields" above the car and the doors show the "quick open" option. Earlier today, I noticed the "sensor shield" no longer shows and the "quick open" option was not there. Luckily I noticed this before attempting to open the doors. Sure enough, the doors opened full-height and so quickly that I just barely stopped it in time. 2-button reset did not work. For now, I set the doors to always open in "low mode." But since the car doesn't see the low ceiling, the trunk also opens in high mode -- and as @strider points out, it's annoying to set a lower height when it doesn't have a location-aware/geofenced setting. Seems like the FWDoors should also have a "low mode" based on location. I was also not able to manually set a height on them.

• Informative
Reactions: bowhan and RoBoRaT
Took deliver Sept 1. The FWD sensors worked perfectly for the first two weeks. One morning after a software update my husband went out as usual and opened the drivers side FWD as he had every morning for a week and the door hit the garage door rails (took off paint and dented the door). Another software update a few days later and it didn’t happen again. I’m now a bit paranoid every time the car updates.
I didn't see an obvious correlation with updates. current version is 2022.36.1 and the issue still exists.

• Informative
Reactions: jiehan
I might have identified a temporary solution: to have sentry mode on at home (or not excluding home to be more precise). I always excluded home but I noticed this option was unclicked when I picked the car up from the service center. I guess they wanted to see if the problem would occur if the car never goes into some sort of deep sleep (they did mention to keep the car awake in their service summary). And indeed this issue never occured again (~10 days now) when I had this option unclicked. To test it, I clicked the option the other day and the issue immediately occured in a few hours. So for those of you suffering from this issue (and if you also excluded home from sentry mode), this might be a temporary solution. Do this when this issue is not present otherwise it might never go away (if it only goes away after a deep sleep like my car does).

This of course comes at a cost of a few % of battery usage but I always plug in at home as I was told that the car would use the power instead of the battery whenever plugged in, even not in charging.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoBoRaT
My problem continues too at random as others have stated. Got to a point where I'm now looking for the 'shield' indicator above the car visual on the main screen before opening. Damage is there from multiple failures when it contacts the garage and service call is in to bring in. I suspect the service center will give me the same response where they could not replicate the error. ...would the damage and photos suffice as evidence contrary to any logs? We'll see in about a week when I take it in. On 2022.28.200 now. Post from @bowhan above shows the latest 2022.36.1 doesn't appear to fix it either if this is a true SW bug.

My problem continues too at random as others have stated. Got to a point where I'm now looking for the 'shield' indicator above the car visual on the main screen before opening. Damage is there from multiple failures when it contacts the garage and service call is in to bring in. I suspect the service center will give me the same response where they could not replicate the error. ...would the damage and photos suffice as evidence contrary to any logs? We'll see in about a week when I take it in. On 2022.28.200 now. Post from @bowhan above shows the latest 2022.36.1 doesn't appear to fix it either if this is a true SW bug.
Are you also excluding home from sentry mode? If so, try unclick that option and see if the issue would occur (do it when the issue is not present).

Last edited:
Reactions: niveknow
Are you also excluding home from sentry mode? If so, try unclick that option and see if the issue would occur (do it when the issue is not present).

I do have my sentry mode excluded at home. Will enable to see if that work around helps while i'm waiting on the appointment time. I see this as temporary fix, but of course I want a real solution for this...after they fix the damage to the door that is. The other perspective is any other harm in never allowing your car to properly sleep?

Will report back my experience if anyone else wants to do the same work-around test as well. Thanks!

You're suggesting the workaround is to never let the car go to sleep to maintain the working state of the sensor. Instead of just enabling sentry mode at home, can't that be done more thoroughly by just disabling it from sleeping? I'm not near my X, but in my S and 3, I recall there was an option (in the display menu???) to keep the car awake at all times for immediate app connection or something.