Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X roof sensor not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine just upgraded to 2023.2.0.5. No red bars, but the FWDs stop well before hitting things overhead in the garage. In fact, they seem to open a little further, but still well before hitting anything. I like this new opening behavior since it will make it easier for rear passengers to get in and out.

Update:

The red lines did not appear prior to driving the car. But after driving it they now appear. Perhaps the system needed to see no obstacles to reset.

Last edited:
I'm still on 2022.44.30.10. It's been nearly 3 weeks since the 2023.2.0.5 FW was released and 2023.2.10/11 were released in the meantime. For those with the new 2023.2.x FW, has the sensor issue re-appeared? Fingers-crossed this is finally fixed as it's the most annoying thing about owning an X if the FWD cannot sense obstacles.

I'm still on 2022.44.30.10. It's been nearly 3 weeks since the 2023.2.0.5 FW was released and 2023.2.10/11 were released in the meantime. For those with the new 2023.2.x FW, has the sensor issue re-appeared? Fingers-crossed this is finally fixed as it's the most annoying thing about owning an X if the FWD cannot sense obstacles.
With mine, the sensor "saw" the obstacles and stopped the front doors from opening into a pole and FWD from hitting the overhead garage door rail. The issue was they just did not display the red bars showing the obstacles.

Reactions: ken830
With mine, the sensor "saw" the obstacles and stopped the front doors from opening into a pole and FWD from hitting the overhead garage door rail. The issue was they just did not display the red bars showing the obstacles.

With the previous 2022.x.x.x FW, did you experience the upward-facing sensor "shield" not displaying AND the FWD/Trunk not stopping? If so, this sounds like an improvement. Sensing upper obstacles and stopping is the most important thing. Visualizing it to the driver is extremely helpful, but not 100% necessary -- only necessary to give confidence the doors won't smack into something.

With the previous 2022.x.x.x FW, did you experience the upward-facing sensor "shield" not displaying AND the FWD/Trunk not stopping? If so, this sounds like an improvement. Sensing upper obstacles and stopping is the most important thing. Visualizing it to the driver is extremely helpful, but not 100% necessary -- only necessary to give confidence the doors won't smack into something.
My FWD always stopped regardless of the display state.

Glad I found this thread and am not alone. Just happened to me. FWD opened fully in garage and hit garage railing putting a deep scratch on top part of door. First time it ever did that in my garage. Was set to Auto. I changed it to low because i'm afraid it will do it again. Opened trunk and it opened fully too and hit garage. Set up mobile service appt to have them check. I'm on FW 2022.44.30.10.

Are you saying you drove into your garage, saw the "shield", checked the "exclude home" checkbox and the "shield" instantly disappeared? Did you uncheck the box immediately and did the "shield" re-appear?
Not instantly. It could go for a day then it’s stopped working (no shield). Once I disable “exclude home” in sentry mode, the shield come back after a day or so then it works fine for months now.

Mine still does this occasionally (once every few weeks, on average). Service can't reproduce or fix. I've been recording when it occurs, but their logs show nothing.

Is there a pattern here? What is everyone's vehicle delivery date (Mine is Sept 2022)? Could it be a batch of components causing compatibility issues/bugs?

Mine still does this occasionally (once every few weeks, on average). Service can't reproduce or fix. I've been recording when it occurs, but their logs show nothing.

Is there a pattern here? What is everyone's vehicle delivery date (Mine is Sept 2022)? Could it be a batch of components causing compatibility issues/bugs?
Delivery date was early December 2022 and November 2022 build.

• Informative
Reactions: ken830