Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X - Texas Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,
I currently own a 2019 Audi e-Tron and I'm starting to research my next car purchase. I've heard good things about the 2022 Model X, but wanted to hear from owners here on the forum. How do you like your Model X? I would most likely purchase the long-range model, as I've learned with the e-Tron, I like more miles.

The Audi is an amazing car, but was curious about real world driving distance in the Model X. At 85 mph, can you really get 350 miles ish? Driving the toll roads here in TX, at 85 mph, I'm getting 2.2 / 2.3 miles per kwh. With 80% charge, I was able to run 120 miles to my destination with still about 30-40 miles left. How would / does the Model X do for something like that?

On i10 I usually set the cruise for 83mph, and my trips are usually 130 miles each way. With the e-Tron, I have to add a charge, but would the Model X be able to handle that without a charge?

Hello all,
I currently own a 2019 Audi e-Tron and I'm starting to research my next car purchase. I've heard good things about the 2022 Model X, but wanted to hear from owners here on the forum. How do you like your Model X? I would most likely purchase the long-range model, as I've learned with the e-Tron, I like more miles.

The Audi is an amazing car, but was curious about real world driving distance in the Model X. At 85 mph, can you really get 350 miles ish? Driving the toll roads here in TX, at 85 mph, I'm getting 2.2 / 2.3 miles per kwh. With 80% charge, I was able to run 120 miles to my destination with still about 30-40 miles left. How would / does the Model X do for something like that?

On i10 I usually set the cruise for 83mph, and my trips are usually 130 miles each way. With the e-Tron, I have to add a charge, but would the Model X be able to handle that without a charge?
Very few 2022s have actually been delivered, and they have all been 6 passenger Plaid models (that is the 3 motor high performance version). If you poke around YouTube, you can find some reviews.

The 350ish range is the EPA rating. You might be able to get that if you drive it like a Prius, and do not exceed 50 mph. But hardly anyone does that. Very unlikely a 260 mile round trip will be possible, certainly not at 85 mph without a charge. Since no LR have been delivered no one knows for sure.

Also right now the maximum speed you can set Autopilot (cruise with autosteer engaged) to is 80 mph. Tesla has recently removed/disabled the front facing radar, now using "Tesla Vision" camera only system, and reduced the top speed for autopilot from 90 to 80.

Reactions: jmp470
... curious about real world driving distance in the Model X. At 85 mph, can you really get 350 miles ish? Driving the toll roads here in TX, at 85 mph, I'm getting 2.2 / 2.3 miles per kwh. With 80% charge, I was able to run 120 miles to my destination with still about 30-40 miles left. How would / does the Model X do for something like that?
Play with this site to get a feel for the 2021 (2022 not listed)

Reactions: jmp470
Wife is on her second Model X here in Houston and I am on my second S. While the X has been an extremely enjoyable car and choc-full-o features, it has been less reliable overall than any of our S models. With that said, it has usually been little annoying things. I don’t think we’ve ever had anything major. And we obviously liked it enough to get a second one.

From a range perspective, our current ~350mi rated 2021 X gets around 250mi of realistic range at 80mph speeds, assuming no adverse weather like torrential rain or strong headwind. The rated range is computed with more of a mix of urban and lower speed highway driving. At lower highway speeds I can get 300+ miles out of it. Look at abetterrouteplanner.com and try your route using their Model X vehicle model. You can even vary the weather and winds and your driving speed to see how it will be affected. You can use the website’s waypoint system to make a round trip where you make your destination the waypoint and your endpoint is just home again.

Some inside baseball on the current X (and other Tesla models for that matter). The traffic aware cruise control software is in a bit of a transition at the moment. Your model will initially be limited to 80mph with cruise control due to this (Older models have a 90mph limit). There’s an expectation that this will raise back up to 90 as the rewrite matures but for now, 85mph driving will have to be done the old fashioned way. And second, don’t get the upgraded wheels. The larger wheels are murder on range.

Concur with GWord, Depends on the weather, mine (2021 Long Range Plus, which should have similar or worse consumption to a 2022 depending on the weather, but a slightly larger battery) does about 375 wh/mi at 85 mph in anything but absolutely perfect conditions, and can achieve as low as 330 or so at 85mph on interstates, but it really has to be great weather for that. I would plan on closer to 400, which is 2.5 wh/mi, for a theoretical range of 250 miles from 100% to 0%. Obviously that's not enough to do the round-trip without a charge at 85mph.

I think Model X on the 20" wheels can do that 260 round-trip mileage at 80 mph, but it'll be really, really close. At 85, I think you're kinda hosed. It'll be an optimization problem for sure. At some point, going slow is more irritating than stopping for 15 minutes to get a quick topoff

If I lived anywhere with a 75-80mph speed limit I wouldn't want a vision-only car that'd be annoying as hell.

Last edited:
The wife and I have been toying with the idea of more range, but from what I’m seeing here, we would get more, but not significantly more.

We prefer to drive fast and top off when needed, versus slowing down. 40K miles in just under 2 years of ownership, so most likely will just keep the Audi. Like I tell my wife, if we can find a 500 mile, 85 mph EV, then we are sold on two of them :)

The wife and I have been toying with the idea of more range, but from what I’m seeing here, we would get more, but not significantly more.

We prefer to drive fast and top off when needed, versus slowing down. 40K miles in just under 2 years of ownership, so most likely will just keep the Audi. Like I tell my wife, if we can find a 500 mile, 85 mph EV, then we are sold on two of them :)
Probably you will never see a 500 mile @ 85 mph EV. That means 800 miles range. The battery would be heavy and not practical.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
The Lucid can probably do 400 at 85. I think Tesla is a long way away from offering anything like that because they're all about volume

Real world I agree, the right way to drive is just drive at the speed you want and charge for an extra 5 minutes if you need to, rather than sitting at 70 in a 75 just to skip a stop. The X is a more efficient car but its battery isn't appreciably bigger than the E-tron and tesla's philosophy on ratings seems to suffer more range penalty from cold weather and high speeds than the German cars

Very few 2022s have actually been delivered, and they have all been 6 passenger Plaid models (that is the 3 motor high performance version). If you poke around YouTube, you can find some reviews.

The 350ish range is the EPA rating. You might be able to get that if you drive it like a Prius, and do not exceed 50 mph. But hardly anyone does that. Very unlikely a 260 mile round trip will be possible, certainly not at 85 mph without a charge. Since no LR have been delivered no one knows for sure.

Also right now the maximum speed you can set Autopilot (cruise with autosteer engaged) to is 80 mph. Tesla has recently removed/disabled the front facing radar, now using "Tesla Vision" camera only system, and reduced the top speed for autopilot from 90 to 80.
There have been non-Plaid Model X’s delivered so far (I picked mine up 1/18/22). That said, I am taking it on its first road trip next week driving from LA to SF, and back a few days later so I’m curious to see how it performs. Front end is wrapped and ready for the road (pic below at the shop after tint and PPF was finished up).

Attachments

• 4DBCE433-D64B-4700-9E68-8AF29996F812.jpeg
    4DBCE433-D64B-4700-9E68-8AF29996F812.jpeg
    415.6 KB · Views: 189

That's what the EV cannonball runners do. They found that driving fast and only stopping below 10% got them the fastest to the destination. And their goal was to get there the quickest.

Research shudder issues before purchase.

wow. How has the charger reliability been on trips with your Audi?

Reactions: mswlogo