Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X vs. Model S: Which one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a lot of comparisons between these two, but I'm curious to know what people think specifically about the most recent versions of these cars. What are the best reasons to get the Model S vs. the Model X? To my mind, S has more range, is marginally faster and is more attractive. Meanwhile, Model X has auto-opening / -closing doors, falcon wing doors for certain confined spaces, more space for people and storage, towing, a higher seat position and more windshield real estate.

One thing I'm wondering: how many of you without kids bought the Model X? Personally, I much prefer SUVs, so even though I don't have kids I'm leaning towards the Model X.

Interested in other opinions/perspectives

I don't fully understand why the basic diff between the S & X are really different with the one generation back of the S &X actually. Mainly a horizontal screen between the 'generations'. Big diff seems to be ride height; windshield; and 2nd row doors (people either love or hate).

I have no young kids (older ones out of house) and love the X. I love the windshield and open feel whether driving thru the mountains or the city (do both). Like being up a little higher.

I know there are a lot of comparisons between these two, but I'm curious to know what people think specifically about the most recent versions of these cars. What are the best reasons to get the Model S vs. the Model X? To my mind, S has more range, is marginally faster and is more attractive. Meanwhile, Model X has auto-opening / -closing doors, falcon wing doors for certain confined spaces, more space for people and storage, towing, a higher seat position and more windshield real estate.

One thing I'm wondering: how many of you without kids bought the Model X? Personally, I much prefer SUVs, so even though I don't have kids I'm leaning towards the Model X.

Interested in other opinions/perspectives
You are asking all the right questions. But add to that, the ease of entry/exit. My kids are all grow'd up. Even the Model 3 is easier to get in/out of compared to the S.

We have no children at home, but still bought the MX over the MS due to the size. I purchased the 6 seat option. It's nice to be able to take 6 adults (as long as two are small lol) but also nice to have the space for items when traveling which we do a lot. I have towed u-hauls 600 miles or so. Both my wife and I like the higher profile when driving on long trips and love the panoramic windshield, variable ride height, and adjustable drivers seat. Only downside of the 6 passenger is that the captains chairs in the second row don't have arm rests, and don't fold flat.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
Model X isn't an SUV, it's just a slightly taller and over-inflated Model S. If you like your cars to have bigger door openings, Model X delivers there, but don't expect an SUV experience IMO because it's not one, not really. If what you like about SUV's is that they're larger, Model X is a lot larger particularly for ingress and egress and of course the cargo area is bigger. But, IMO, in overall character, it's much more sedan/wagon-like than SUV-like. Which makes sense if you think past the marketing for a second.

Despite how large it is I find Model S's door openings to be infuriatingly difficult to get in and out of. We have an E-class and it's perfectly fine, and an E90 M3 which is also perfectly fine and a MUCH smaller car. I blame the frameless doors.

Really, the reason you go X over S is the powered doors. They will make you LAZY

Last edited:
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I prefer the seating position of the X. As I age I don't my back can take hours driving in a lower seating position like an S or our 3.

Also, the 5 seater X is big enough for me to haul my kid's stuff they left in our house to their homes. I have hauled a 6-foot bookcase in the back of the X to a kid's house.

Reactions: cartog
I have a model x and just recently tried the latest model s. I immediately missed the auto present doors (and the fact that you can open all doors with the screen) in the x as well as the huge windscreen. I also like the seating position of the X more. So it is model X for me

Reactions: cartog
I WANT another Model S, but I need an X. Only get the X if you need it for something like cargo space comfortable seating for 6 or towing. The S is better at everything else including range, speed, handling, and looks.

All of that is true, but from behind the steering wheel there really isn't any car Tesla or anyone else makes that offers the views the X give.

Here in England, Range Rovers are driven by two groups of people. Parents dropping kids off at fancy schools, and 'older' people who enjoy the luxury of space, a higher driving position. I have to say I would find it very hard to swap our X for a S/3/Y unless forced too.

51423170376_9daf39d06a_c_d.jpg

Just received an update on the delivery of my X-plaid. Getting it this Tuesday 2.8.22!!! Ordered in June 2021, 5 converted to 6, white/white/FSD... Time to order the robots...
I have both an S and X plaid available for delivery. I'll be a kidless X owner. Perhaps, I'll get some of Elon's robots to sit in the captain's chairs!

All of that is true, but from behind the steering wheel there really isn't any car Tesla or anyone else makes that offers the views the X give.

Here in England, Range Rovers are driven by two groups of people. Parents dropping kids off at fancy schools, and 'older' people who enjoy the luxury of space, a higher driving position. I have to say I would find it very hard to swap our X for a S/3/Y unless forced too.

51423170376_9daf39d06a_c_d.jpg
I totally agree with you. Had a 2016 S, bought a 2018 P3, which I loved more than the S, dumped the S, then added the 2022 X Plaid. Love the two remaining, 3 & X, S is in the past... Looks like areas of Hawaii, by the way...

I now have refreshed versions of both and am greatly preferring the X:

1. autopresent and close doors are oddly delightful
2. better entry and exit and seating position for all
3. back seat better for v young kids and very elderly passengers
4. ability to tow a small trailor around for trip to home depot and stuff

The only real advantage anymore for the S is range. I scoped out a moderate road trip on A Better Route Planner and it projected in the Model S it would be one SC stop for 19 minutes, but with the Model X it would be 3 SC stops for a total of 54 min charge time. But even that is a small advantage usually outweighed by the comfort and convenience of the Model X items above.

Also the Model X plaid is the ultimate sleeper -- it doesn't have the spoiler giveaway like the Model S

I now have refreshed versions of both and am greatly preferring the X:

1. autopresent and close doors are oddly delightful
2. better entry and exit and seating position for all
3. back seat better for v young kids and very elderly passengers
4. ability to tow a small trailor around for trip to home depot and stuff

The only real advantage anymore for the S is range. I scoped out a moderate road trip on A Better Route Planner and it projected in the Model S it would be one SC stop for 19 minutes, but with the Model X it would be 3 SC stops for a total of 54 min charge time. But even that is a small advantage usually outweighed by the comfort and convenience of the Model X items above.

Also the Model X plaid is the ultimate sleeper -- it doesn't have the spoiler giveaway like the Model S

The charging difference between the S and X isn't adding up. 19 minute single stop vs 54 minutes and 3 stops.

Reactions: bhzmark and 06z_