Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y 21’’ Überturbine Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been trying to locate, with no success, the exact powdercoat formula for my new OEM wheels. A Tesla service writer at the Orange County CA location gave me a business card for a repair service that he assured me had the formula. Not only did the repair person not have the formula, he propsed to come over and repair the wheel using a bondo-like product, in my driveway, without welding new material in place of the wheel material lost at the time it was curbed. Epic fail on that repair idea. Several calls later to Tesla folks has produced no results.

All of the well-regarded wheel repair companies have confirmed that they will get it "close" but without the exact formula, the match will be imperfect. I can't think of any reason why Tesla would hold back on this information, and in fact would assume that they want repairs to be properly completed.

Before attemping to contact someone higher in the Tesla food chain, I wanted to post this to see if anyone actually knows this information--the actual powdercoat formula for the finish on the Uberturbine OEM wheels.

Thanks for taking a look at this post.

See attached pic.

Attachments

• 2022-03-20 09.28.55.jpg
    2022-03-20 09.28.55.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 412
I've been trying to locate, with no success, the exact powdercoat formula for my new OEM wheels. A Tesla service writer at the Orange County CA location gave me a business card for a repair service that he assured me had the formula. Not only did the repair person not have the formula, he propsed to come over and repair the wheel using a bondo-like product, in my driveway, without welding new material in place of the wheel material lost at the time it was curbed. Epic fail on that repair idea. Several calls later to Tesla folks has produced no results.

All of the well-regarded wheel repair companies have confirmed that they will get it "close" but without the exact formula, the match will be imperfect. I can't think of any reason why Tesla would hold back on this information, and in fact would assume that they want repairs to be properly completed.

Before attemping to contact someone higher in the Tesla food chain, I wanted to post this to see if anyone actually knows this information--the actual powdercoat formula for the finish on the Uberturbine OEM wheels.

Thanks for taking a look at this post.
If you're looking for that level of perfection I would just buy an undamaged wheel from the tons of people selling Uberturbines. Should be easy to locate in SoCal for ~$300-$400. Buy a whole set and you'll have some backups.

Something about how this post is written does not sit right with me.

Just do the normal thing and get a repair that is very close, like the rest of us? It's no big deal.
Agree

Reactions: charrigan
It's very easy to fix, use some Bondo filler or Aluminum Putty and some Black paint.

Look at this detailled web page: (and tons of Youtube videos on this suject)

As long your wheel is not bent, like when hitting a pothole, it is easy to fix this kind of curb rash.
Of course, you can get it professionally done, but you don't want to paid a lot of $$$ everytime you will hit a curb.

Maybe when you will try to sale your car, get your wheels painted, otherwise try to learn how to fix your wheels.

Even when trying to be very carefull, you might scratch your wheel accidentaly.
The last time this happened to me was when doing a parallel parking and I selected the reverse instead of the forward.

Last edited: