Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - Austin Giga Factory - Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Loophole is that the PAPERWORK comes from California, you are buying it from out of state just like the (stupid) law requires.
I believe if you review the actual law, it says the assembled car must be brought into the state. Since Austin is where it is manufactured, it should have to leave the state, then brought back. If the law was the way you stated, there wouldn't have been such an effort by Tesla to change the law when the legislature was in session last year. There has been a lot of discussion on this. In New Mexico they have a similar but different law and Tesla found a loop hole by shipping the cars to an Indian Reservation near Santa Fe to be picked up, since it is not considered to be a part of New Mexico.

I believe if you review the actual law, it says the assembled car must be brought into the state. Since Austin is where it is manufactured, it should have to leave the state, then brought back. If the law was the way you stated, there wouldn't have been such an effort by Tesla to change the law when the legislature was in session last year. There has been a lot of discussion on this. In New Mexico they have a similar but different law and Tesla found a loop hole by shipping the cars to an Indian Reservation near Santa Fe to be picked up, since it is not considered to be a part of New Mexico.
Given the history and the news media hype, I can see how folks come to the conclusion that it must be shipped into/out of/back into Texas, but that's not what the law (Texas Admin. Code 215.261) says.
It just says that it's illegal to buy a car from Tesla in person, like, at a Tesla Gallery. Thus, all Texas orders are taken via the internet or over the phone. Texas residents can buy a car from Tesla, but the purchase is handled as an out-of-state transaction.
It doesn't matter where the car itself is, was or was made.
So, buying from a business in California via a paper transaction is just fine. Just makes a bit of a headache for Tesla and the buyer.

• Informative
Reactions: iamnid and Art84