Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - Austin Giga Factory - Delivery Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my 2022 Model Y Long Range Red Multi-Coat on Thursday, June 30. Here is my take on the delivery experience. The place of pick up is an open parking lot. My appointment was at 5pm and I reached the place by 4:30pm. It might be a good idea to go there little early to avoid check in line. With just a few people there, it is easier to point out any issues to Tesla folks and they may be able to address them.

I also have a 2021 Model 3 which is from Fremont. I would say the quality control is definitely much better with the vehicles coming out of Austin, but it is still not perfect. Definitely look out for panel gaps at the area where trunk closes. Driver side exterior camera was little loose, can be fixed easily though. One of the major issues was driver side door would not close properly. You would have to slam the door so hard sometimes to close it. I pointed this out to the Tesla rep and he couldn't believe it was that bad and told me put in a request for service immediately. The drive side door had some minor scuffs and they buffed it out right there. However, the guy who did the buffing ruined another section of the door. I had to put in a service request for the same.

Do take time to walk through your car and look for any QC issues. It was so hard to stand out there in the scorching heat and go through every small detail of the vehicle. It is kinda sad that a customer had to do extra quality control inspection in spite of having the largest giga factory and most advanced tech in the car.

Note: You won't be able to open the car unless you accept the delivery. Make sure you do exterior inspection throughly before accepting.

Bad Experience: Tesla did not notify about payment acceptance or delivery before assigning the VIN (not the case with Model 3 that I got last year). As you get close to the delivery window, they assigned VIN and started calling out people immediately if they are ready to take delivery the next day. F**king ridiculous. They gave absolutely no time to talk to your bank/lender for loan approval. They are really smart to not give you any chance to think twice as that will bring them revenue in the quickest way possible. It's the same reason Texas residents prioritized for deliveries. I had no choice but to go through Tesla finance with high interest rate, get my credit pulled, get auto insurance, sign a bunch of documents and be ready for pick up the next day (worst customer service experience ever while purchasing/acquiring a car)

If your delivery window is close approaching be prepared with financing options or payment method.

Good Experience: Model Y. For me, the only good thing out of all this is the car itself. I enjoyed driving Model Y back to home. I wish the whole customer experience could have been better. I hope this helps someone who is waiting for their delivery in the near future.

IMG_1268.JPG

Picked up my 2022 Model Y Long Range Red Multi-Coat on Thursday, June 30. Here is my take on the delivery experience. The place of pick up is an open parking lot. My appointment was at 5pm and I reached the place by 4:30pm. It might be a good idea to go there little early to avoid check in line. With just a few people there, it is easier to point out any issues to Tesla folks and they may be able to address them.

I also have a 2021 Model 3 which is from Fremont. I would say the quality control is definitely much better with the vehicles coming out of Austin, but it is still not perfect. Definitely look out for panel gaps at the area where trunk closes. Driver side exterior camera was little loose, can be fixed easily though. One of the major issues was driver side door would not close properly. You would have to slam the door so hard sometimes to close it. I pointed this out to the Tesla rep and he couldn't believe it was that bad and told me put in a request for service immediately. The drive side door had some minor scuffs and they buffed it out right there. However, the guy who did the buffing ruined another section of the door. I had to put in a service request for the same.

Do take time to walk through your car and look for any QC issues. It was so hard to stand out there in the scorching heat and go through every small detail of the vehicle. It is kinda sad that a customer had to do extra quality control inspection in spite of having the largest giga factory and most advanced tech in the car.

Note: You won't be able to open the car unless you accept the delivery. Make sure you do exterior inspection throughly before accepting.

Bad Experience: Tesla did not notify about payment acceptance or delivery before assigning the VIN (not the case with Model 3 that I got last year). As you get close to the delivery window, they assigned VIN and started calling out people immediately if they are ready to take delivery the next day. F**king ridiculous. They gave absolutely no time to talk to your bank/lender for loan approval. They are really smart to not give you any chance to think twice as that will bring them revenue in the quickest way possible. It's the same reason Texas residents prioritized for deliveries. I had no choice but to go through Tesla finance with high interest rate, get my credit pulled, get auto insurance, sign a bunch of documents and be ready for pick up the next day (worst customer service experience ever while purchasing/acquiring a car)

If your delivery window is close approaching be prepared with financing options or payment method.

Good Experience: Model Y. For me, the only good thing out of all this is the car itself. I enjoyed driving Model Y back to home. I wish the whole customer experience could have been better. I hope this helps someone who is waiting for their delivery in the near future.

View attachment 824124

Wow. I had a completely different experience. My delivery date was April 23rd and it was at the Austin Service Center. I arrived early and the staff were great. They were very courteous and took great care of me. I found a couple of little issues and they worked on them right away.
I engaged them in conversation and all of the guys owned Tesla's themselves.

Prior to the delivery day I texted with them and got everything lined up (financing with UFCU and insurance). I even told them that I really needed it to be the April 23rd as I was leaving the country 2 days later. They said they would do everything they could to make it happen and it happened.

Sorry you had a different experience. Maybe the guys are the Service Center are just different group than you had.

@carpendj I wish we had that kind of customer experience while picking up ours. Like @cbdream99 mentioned it was exactly like picking a rental car in a parking lot area. No one there to help us with questions or concerns. I wish I deferred the delivery to a later time, but given my current situation I had to go with whatever option that Tesla guy on phone shoving it on us.

I picked up my Model Y the same day in CA. It was a customer refusal vehicle and bumped me up about a month on delivery so I took it. The woman I spoke to there was telling me there was a BIG push for the end of the quarter, it was crazy how many cars were at the Vallejo, CA location. Truckloads incoming and 100's of cars on the lot being detailed and prepped for delivery. I've never seen anything like it.

I felt rushed on the financing as well because I wasn't expecting to take delivery for a month, good thing the rate was actually very competitive for me so it was a win/win. Also found a nice section of missing paint on the bottom of the passenger door a few days after delivery, but going to take it in tomorrow to see what they can do. Not going to go for a repaint, that's for sure. I went with a black/white model so unfortunately I'm going to have to get the whole car clear bra'd and hoping to touch up the corner and wrap over it. Overall it was a interesting experience, it had some pros and cons but loved the simplicity of doing everything through the app and not having to deal with a finance manager trying to sell me on a million aftermarket products for 2 additional hours.

This is unfortunately 100% normal end of quarter delivery practice. All that matters is that they close the books on as many cars possible. If you can’t pick it up tomorrow, someone else will, and again, that’s all that matters to them.

This is unfortunately 100% normal end of quarter delivery practice. All that matters is that they close the books on as many cars possible. If you can’t pick it up tomorrow, someone else will, and again, that’s all that matters to them.
Is that a bad thing? With hundreds of posts clamoring for a ship date why would it be bad or some business conspiracy to get customers their cars on time or early. Yes they want to move cars, what a Crazy business plan!

Is that a bad thing? With hundreds of posts clamoring for a ship date why would it be bad or some business conspiracy to get customers their cars on time or early. Yes they want to move cars, what a Crazy business plan!
Did someone say it is?
You wouldn't know how bad it is until you experience it. Getting early delivery is not a problem, selling the cars to close their books by end of quarter not really caring about customer experience is the problem.

View attachment 824124
You absolutely can refuse delivery and get back in queue after accepting and getting access. They’ll give you the hard sell BS but ultimately not a big deal. But they say if you refuse delivery again, they’ll refund you and you’ll have to reorder.