Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - car broke down under 1000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is becoming a victim of their own success. 330K+ Model Ys and 3s sold in the US last year and not enough service centers and superchargers.

As both a Tesla Model Y owner and a TSLA investor, service is my single largest concern about the future of the company. They have not done a great job of scaling service along with the rest of the company, and unfortunately I don't see an effort to improve it much at the moment either. Hopefully that changes real fast.

Reactions: HotIce
Tesla service is just great. Nowhere else can you get anything even approaching Tesla Mobile service, where you can get your car serviced without taking it anywhere or having to even be around. And you can report your problem by tapping a few keys in an app on your phone. And, of course, not needing any service is a step even beyond that.

Of course Tesla communications continues to be awful. Talking to a person about your problem is next to impossible. And their right hand never knows what their left hand is doing.

I think this complaining is mostly like "those other guys have really awesome gas stations, so pleasant and comfortable." But really, nothing is better than simply not going to a gas station.

Tesla service is just great. Nowhere else can you get anything even approaching Tesla Mobile service, where you can get your car serviced without taking it anywhere or having to even be around. And you can report your problem by tapping a few keys in an app on your phone. And, of course, not needing any service is a step even beyond that.

The mobile rangers aren't the problem, that aspect seems to work wonderfully. It's the static service centers which are the issue, with things like long wait times, long repair periods, lack of communication and lack of loaners.

Reactions: rpo
The mobile rangers aren't the problem, that aspect seems to work wonderfully. It's the static service centers which are the issue, with things like long wait times, long repair periods, lack of communication and lack of loaners.
So the 80% (?) of service performed by the mobile rangers is wonderful, and the complaints are all (mostly?) about the other 20%? Sounds like we need more and better mobile service, not more service centers.

And of course portion of service that doesn't need to be performed at all is truly perfect. So, yes, I'll agree that some small percentage of Tesla service is terrible. How does it compare with what you would expect from other manufacturers? Why would it be a disaster for the company rather than just another area in which they can do better? We all know that Tesla's approach to this sort of thing is not to make a better cure but rather to eliminate the disease.

This is why I expect communication to never improve much. Tesla doesn't want their customers to be made happy by communicating with them; they want their customers to *never* need to communicate with them. You know, the best communication is no communication. Same thing as visits to the gas station. So I expect communications to stay bad, while there will be fewer and fewer situations requiring communication.

And no, I don't regard this as a "premium" experience. People like to feel as though they are special. But Tesla has always been about providing the best quality experience for everybody at the best price they can, not about making people feel special. So Tesla's main efforts, I believe, will always be in the direction of making their vehicles *not need* service, *not* crash, and require only updated software to improve.

Reactions: Gumball
I was on the production ramp for Model Y in 2020. My vehicle is an early 90k VIN. I also had an issue with the computer which required the Self Driving Computer to be replaced within the first 1000 miles. It was a pain. Today is 3 years after the fact. The car has over 50k miles. It did suck. I remember that. But still and now, this is the best car I've ever had and the resale value with my initial tax incentive means the car is worth around the same amount I paid for it on a resell and it's been really good to me albeit the first 1000 miles.

Anyway, good luck I understand your frustration.