Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Front Engine Whine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I got my model y about 2 months ago and after like 2000 miles it began to have an engine whine coming from the front engine. The noise would start from 20+ mph. It got even worse on my road trip to Vegas from Phoenix. Anyone else has a similar issue? I took it in for service and they determined the from drive unit was the cause. Hopefully they can fix the issue.

The front motor is often not in use under normal driving conditions. However, once the rear wheels slip the front engine gets used more for a while, I presume there's no snow and ice in Arizona so it's probably not your situation.
The other times where my front engine makes noise is when the car is conditioning the battery for supercharging. I can then hear some whining from the front motor sometimes, and I believe that is normal.

If you are in neither of these conditions, there might indeed be a problem with your car.

The front motor is often not in use under normal driving conditions. However, once the rear wheels slip the front engine gets used more for a while, I presume there's no snow and ice in Arizona so it's probably not your situation.
The other times where my front engine makes noise is when the car is conditioning the battery for supercharging. I can then hear some whining from the front motor sometimes, and I believe that is normal.

If you are in neither of these conditions, there might indeed be a problem with your car.
wow, I had no idea the front isn't used during normal driving. Makes sense. I wonder if Tesla will be replacing my whole front engine.

The front motor uses a technology where it can free spin without any energy applied. The rear uses a different technology that requires energy for it to spin. The car limits consumption by using the rear first, unless you demand hard acceleration or the wheels start slipping.
The front motor uses a technology where it can free spin without any energy applied. The rear uses a different technology that requires energy for it to spin. The car limits consumption by using the rear first, unless you demand hard acceleration or the wheels start slipping.
Does the front motor recoup energy from regen braking?

If you connect something like scanmytesla you can see what it does. At a stop the torque split is 50/50 rear/front. Under light acceleration 100% power goes to the rear. Moderate to heavy acceleration will engage front motor but the rear motor does all the heavy lifting.

The front motor does participate in regen. It's more heavy in the back though. The front is along for the ride under normal/light driving. If you stomp it, or regen hard from high speed, or start slipping the front helps out. I feel like some people wouldn't even notice if the front wasn't working.