Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y frunk water puddle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently accepted delivery of a 2022 Model Y (LR). It was a sunny day. Next day after vehicle got wet (from a manual car wash), I noticed water puddles on both sides of the interior frunk. The vehicle was dried properly before the frunk was opened. Has anyone else have this issue. Is this normal with the Model Y when it gets wet (either from rain or a car wash)?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.24.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-09 at 11.24.17 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,151
All Porsches with frunks are designed the same way. The only difference is that the Porsche has drain holes at each lower corner for the water to drawn (where you have water pooling up in your picture). The Tesla uses the latch hole to drawn. I drilled holes in each corner like my Porsche for water to drain. Works great.

I suspect that if water can get between the frunk lid and the body that once you start driving, air can get in there too and blow out the water (in fact that would be an interesting experiment)

So probably yes, rain will get in there, but like the car wash, it won't get past the seal in into the actual frunk

Does this also happen after it rains?
I haven't driven it in the rain as yet. But I will test to see if this is the case. But given the low pressure of the water hose and how it was used to wash the vehicle, I would assume there would be similar water collecting in the area. But will have to test to confirm. If anyone else has the results, please let us know.

One of the door seal strips in the Basenor kit I just installed goes around the inside edge of the frunk. Hood closes nice and snug now. No more water getting in there.
Can you share that with us? Thanks. However, having to buy an aftermarket fix to an issue which should not exist for a vehicle this expensive is not acceptable. If anything, this should be fix to be assumed fully by Tesla.

having to buy an aftermarket fix to an issue which should not exist for a vehicle this expensive is not acceptable. If anything, this should be fix to be assumed fully by Tesla.
If you think about it, it's just the same as the driver and pax doors in that there's a seal and a section outside of the sealed area, but inside the outer limit of the vehicle that'll get wet. The difference here is that the doors, being vertical don't hold on to any of that water

Reactions: CapsEngineer
Can you share that with us? Thanks. However, having to buy an aftermarket fix to an issue which should not exist for a vehicle this expensive is not acceptable. If anything, this should be fix to be assumed fully by Tesla.
Here’s the kit I bought.

BASENOR Tesla Model Y Door Seal Kit Soundproof Rubber Weather Draft Seal Strip Wind Noise Reduction Kit 2020 2021 2022 https://a.co/d/14SvzaE

But I just mentioned it because it remedies the condition you are concerned about. That’s not why I bought it. Water has always gotten in under the hood of all my prior vehicles. So I wasn’t surprised about this. Water is going to splash up from underneath, too. The frunk tub is well sealed, which is what counts.

Reactions: Pianewman