Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Initial Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got delivery of my 2022 Model Y - all of 100 miles of some freeway but largely city street driving in SF Bay Area. Some initial impressions of the car and the purchase experience.

View attachment 765472
  1. Ordered in 9/2021. Over subsequent months got delivery estimates ranging from 12/2021 to 5/2022. Ultimately delivered mid 1/2022 with 3 days notice two weeks after 5/2022 estimate. As an exec with high volume Mfg experience, I regard this as incompetent for a quality manufacturer.
  2. Delivery was simple ... Tesla folks nice ...no education on car. I can figure out vehicle as a computer scientist, might not for other folks. Discovering I had to pay $50k+ cash in a couple of days was ... annoying.
  3. Love the driving experience. Fast. The acceleration!!! Crisp handling. Comfy seats. Great forward visibility. Horrible rear visibility. The UI largely good IMO. The basic car feels more than good.
  4. Build quality seems very good. No defects found so far.
  5. Sound system a delight.
  6. Basic navigation experience pretty good ... though it could not find the exact directions to my nearest SuperCharger. Had to spend a few blocks driving around to find it - off by ~ .5km.
  7. Charging experience with garage charger quite good.
  8. Did not buy FSD but did get a subscription to see what it can do.
  9. The FSD preview experience on city streets is scary. Does pretty well on recognizing cars/trucks in my lane and adjacent lanes in same direction (though far from perfect on exact position more than a few 10s of feet away). Pretty good (90%+) on recognizing lane boundaries (except in intersections) and adjacent bike lanes. Not so good on oncoming vehicles (0%). Horrible on recognizing pedestrians (5%), bicyclist in adjacent bike lanes (DOES recognize bike lanes) (5%), poor at recognizing cross walks (50%), poor at recognizing pedestrians that might enter traffic (0%), totally ignores open doors on parked cars (0%), totally ignores small objects like dogs (0%), REALLY good at recognizing garage container and orange traffic cones (100%?), and traffic lights (100%). No way this is safe to drive in anything close to "autonomous" mode IMO on city streets. Good news is that there is massive opportunity for improvement. At this point I will NOT enable steering control. Braking control not good enough to trust all by itself IMO.
  10. Still evaluating Summon and Self-Parking. First test in my condo garage failed.

“Tesla Model Y grey (2)” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.
Great post. I took delivery this past Sunday and many of my points mirror yours.

1) mine took a full 12 months from order date also. 9/2021.

2) No help at all from the delivery center Tesla people. You’re basically on your own. And when problems were pointed out, they just said “make an Appointment”.

4) had pretty significant panel gaps in 4 separate places. More but I decided to ignore them.

5) didn’t try. Crazy nervous driving it the first time with the confusing nav screen. Ended up resorting to my 5” iPhone google maps to get me home.

I’ll also add that I’m surprised the rims stick out so much from the tires on the 20” Inductions. It’s like shoving your face in front of a boxer and asking for a gash in the face.

I am largely in alignment with your thoughts. The lack of a blind spot warning is a big deal. With rear facing cameras and reasonable car recognition this should be a no brainer. But I am not impressed with the lack of rear object recognition in adjacent lanes.
Agree. The Y is sorely missing mirror turn signals and blind spot warning. Shame because the tech on the car has all the tech necessary for it with a simple update.

Reactions: Zalick
Agree. The Y is sorely missing mirror turn signals and blind spot warning. Shame because the tech on the car has all the tech necessary for it with a simple update.
Yeah..would've been nice. I don't think it'll have mirror turn signals but a warning might be nice...

On the flipside, you can now see into your blind spot w/ the camera very easily.....which I think I actually prefer over the warning...