Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Initial Impressions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dislikes: I hate the steering ratio when driving on highways, Tesla model Y does not have steer-by-wire hence it does not have features like DSC (Driving Stability Control) in BMWs or ESC (Electronic Stability Control) in Mercedes', so when driving in high speed on highways, the steering is too sensitive with the MY, any tiny steering wheel movements will translate to big direction changes, which is dangerous, it is hard to control the drive very precisely in high speed.
I am sure most here find this to be annoying. Sometimes it feels like an F1 on the highway, not exactly relaxing when a few MM of input changes your direction. Have gotten used to it but definitely a difference from the norm which one needs to get accustomed to. Steering mode in comfort FYI.

When new, I complained to SC that steering mode seemed to do nothing thinking it was inoperable, was told by SC it is very subtle and most will not see the difference. Still feels that way today. The S on the other hand is no issue, feels great.

You said the steering is too sensitive. Have you tried changing the steering mode? There are three to choose from.
Yes I tried, but the steering mode is about how much efforts it needs to turn the steering wheel, and what I was talking about was the steering ratios, high-end cars have dynamic steering ratios, lower ratios in lower speeds so you can make sharp turns and higher ratios in high speeds so it's more stable on the freeways, while Tesla has the same ratio for all speeds so it works fine in lower speeds but too sensitive in higher speeds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cusetownusa
Yes I tried, but the steering mode is about how much efforts it needs to turn the steering wheel, and what I was talking about was the steering ratios, high-end cars have dynamic steering ratios, higher ratios in lower speeds so you can make sharp turns and lower ratios in high speeds so it's more stable on the freeways, while Tesla has the same ratio for all speeds so it works fine in lower speeds but too sensitive in higher speeds.
I've read many references regarding the quick steering ratio of the MY (mostly as a negative, I think), but I never really understood what it meant. I've also never noticed anything about the steering ratio during the 3.5 months I've driven it so far. I use sport mode steering and it feels like the steering wheel is not going to move unless I move it, and it has felt extremely stable everywhere. Is the quick steering ratio more of an issue for people who come from high end cars? I came from a Honda Odyssey and have been pleased with the steering in the MYP.

Don't understand the blind spot warning complaints. 1. there is visualization (big red car, if you are color blind it may be an issue) on the screen when the car is in your blind spot and you have your turn signal on. 2. set your mirrors correctly. there should not be a blind spot (ever) when you have 3 mirrors on your car.
Like I said warning lights on the side mirrors come in handy when the visibility is poor like driving on a rainy night.

Reactions: voxel
I've read many references regarding the quick steering ratio of the MY (mostly as a negative, I think), but I never really understood what it meant. I've also never noticed anything about the steering ratio during the 3.5 months I've driven it so far. I use sport mode steering and it feels like the steering wheel is not going to move unless I move it, and it has felt extremely stable everywhere. Is the quick steering ratio more of an issue for people who come from high end cars? I came from a Honda Odyssey and have been pleased with the steering in the MYP.
Dynamic steering ratios does make driving on freeways more relaxable, Honda Odyssey have higher steering ratio than MY I think, so it is also not bad at high speeds, but MY's quick steering ratio works good at lower speeds but like driving a F1 on the freeways which you have to be more focused and will get tired easier

The problem is, you decided to share your experience without mentioning what software version you were basing your observations on, and then making things even more confusing when referring to a non-beta release as "Beta." when it comes to FSD, "Beta" has a specific meaning. In your case, you're not actually testing FSD Beta. You're using what ships with all new vehicles.
I am running v10.2 - which shipped with my vehicle. The FSD (and other features) are labelled "Beta" on my screen. Seems like Beta software and features to me.

Now ... it does appear that some folks have even more "Beta" software than I do and which software I have no access to. All I can comment on is what is running on my vehicle.

My software is apparently from October 2021 - roughly when it is likely my vehicle was manufactured. The best software I can get.

Reactions: danjw1
Just got delivery of my 2022 Model Y - all of 100 miles of some freeway but largely city street driving in SF Bay Area. Some initial impressions of the car and the purchase experience.

1. Ordered in 9/2021. Over subsequent months got delivery estimates ranging from 12/2021 to 5/2022. Ultimately delivered mid 1/2022 with 3 days notice two weeks after 5/2022 estimate. As an exec with high volume Mfg experience, I regard this as incompetent for a quality manufacturer.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on point #1. I understand Tesla's perspective that a vehicle with the config you ordered may have suddenly become available due to another customer declining or unable to take delivery, but this is a large purchase and most buyers need at least some time to prepare. The wildly fluctuating EDD's can drive a person mad and really make it difficult for someone to prepare to take delivery. A month off on the EDD, ok, but several months off is unreasonable for most.

I am running v10.2 - which shipped with my vehicle. The FSD (and other features) are labelled "Beta" on my screen. Seems like Beta software and features to me.

Now ... it does appear that some folks have even more "Beta" software than I do and which software I have no access to. All I can comment on is what is running on my vehicle.

My software is apparently from October 2021 - roughly when it is likely my vehicle was manufactured. The best software I can get.
Aaaand... it looks like folks on your "new car" version of the firmware have been updated to 2022.4.5, so you probably have been too. If you haven't, make sure your car gets on Wi-Fi once in a while and you will be. Also, you might want to set "Advanced" under the software settings so that you get new releases sooner rather than later. Or maybe not.

Anyway, once you're on V11 and the latest software you might have something interesting to say about your impressions of the software. Luckily for you, you won't have spent years getting used to the old UI and thus find the new UI awful simply because it's different. You'll have fresh reasons for finding certain aspects of it awful.

Don't understand the blind spot warning complaints. 1. there is visualization (big red car, if you are color blind it may be an issue) on the screen when the car is in your blind spot and you have your turn signal on. 2. set your mirrors correctly. there should not be a blind spot (ever) when you have 3 mirrors on your car.
I've now had my 2022 MY since early February, and the blind spot warning "system" is definitely subpar compared to other cars. It does warn you if you attempt to move into a car in your blind spot, however, it does not proactively give you warning that there is a car in your blind spot, which most other cars do these days. On my prior Acura, I found the little lights on the side mirrors very good for situational awareness.

I am largely in alignment with your thoughts. The lack of a blind spot warning is a big deal. With rear facing cameras and reasonable car recognition this should be a no brainer. But I am not impressed with the lack of rear object recognition in adjacent lanes.
Question on the lack of blind spot monitoring: there is no flashing warning light in the side mirror but there is warning indication on the screen, a camera image showing what’s in the blind spot, a warning chime and the car physically preventing you from changing lanes. How is a light on the mirror worth more than all that? And how does Consumer Reports get away with stating there is no blind spot monitoring?

Reactions: Yelobird
Teslas are notorious for their real life range being nowhere near the advertised range. Cold weather, wind, and terrain will take a hit on your range.

di nox
Still way more efficient and provide longer rangers than all others. I am sure I can get very close to the advertised range by doing the following:

1. Empty all junks from the car
2. Inflate tires to 45 psi
3. No AC/Heater use
4. Drive alone
5. Drive no faster than 60 mph
6. Charge it to 100%
7. Accelerate very very slowly

But, I don't drive like this. my MYP is meant to be driven FAST. I accelerate very fast, and drive faster than others. Also, always try to piss off those V8 muscle cars and smoke them and laugh about it. =)
By driving like this, I can get around 200 miles out of 80% charge.

Still way more efficient and provide longer rangers than all others. I am sure I can get very close to the advertised range by doing the following:

3. No AC/Heater use
4. Drive alone
6. Charge it to 100%

But, I don't drive like this. my MYP is meant to be driven FAST. I accelerate very fast, and drive faster than others. Also, always try to piss off those V8 muscle cars and smoke them and laugh about it. =)

I agree with most of that, but super slow acceleration does not appear to be required for high efficiency - just make sure you plan your speeds so you use pure-regen to slow down, never get into the brakes. The motors are 90+% efficient so speeding up and slowing down on the motors is quite good - your losses are out the tires and by air resistance, hence the conservative highway speeds being critical if you want max range.

Reactions: nate704
Just got delivery of my 2022 Model Y - all of 100 miles of some freeway but largely city street driving in SF Bay Area. Some initial impressions of the car and the purchase experience.

View attachment 765472
  1. Ordered in 9/2021. Over subsequent months got delivery estimates ranging from 12/2021 to 5/2022. Ultimately delivered mid 1/2022 with 3 days notice two weeks after 5/2022 estimate. As an exec with high volume Mfg experience, I regard this as incompetent for a quality manufacturer.
  2. Delivery was simple ... Tesla folks nice ...no education on car. I can figure out vehicle as a computer scientist, might not for other folks. Discovering I had to pay $50k+ cash in a couple of days was ... annoying.
  3. Love the driving experience. Fast. The acceleration!!! Crisp handling. Comfy seats. Great forward visibility. Horrible rear visibility. The UI largely good IMO. The basic car feels more than good.
  4. Build quality seems very good. No defects found so far.
  5. Sound system a delight.
  6. Basic navigation experience pretty good ... though it could not find the exact directions to my nearest SuperCharger. Had to spend a few blocks driving around to find it - off by ~ .5km.
  7. Charging experience with garage charger quite good.
  8. Did not buy FSD but did get a subscription to see what it can do.
  9. The FSD preview experience on city streets is scary. Does pretty well on recognizing cars/trucks in my lane and adjacent lanes in same direction (though far from perfect on exact position more than a few 10s of feet away). Pretty good (90%+) on recognizing lane boundaries (except in intersections) and adjacent bike lanes. Not so good on oncoming vehicles (0%). Horrible on recognizing pedestrians (5%), bicyclist in adjacent bike lanes (DOES recognize bike lanes) (5%), poor at recognizing cross walks (50%), poor at recognizing pedestrians that might enter traffic (0%), totally ignores open doors on parked cars (0%), totally ignores small objects like dogs (0%), REALLY good at recognizing garage container and orange traffic cones (100%?), and traffic lights (100%). No way this is safe to drive in anything close to "autonomous" mode IMO on city streets. Good news is that there is massive opportunity for improvement. At this point I will NOT enable steering control. Braking control not good enough to trust all by itself IMO.
  10. Still evaluating Summon and Self-Parking. First test in my condo garage failed.

“Tesla Model Y grey (2)” by Damian B Oh is licensed under CC BY-ND 4.0.
Congrats and welcome!

3. No AC/Heater use
4. Drive alone
6. Charge it to 100%

Ditto!

My steering is rock-solid, straight and not sensitive at all on the highway. I've had plenty of BMWs that tram and are require a huge amount of driver feedback to remain going straight.

I also switched to Vredstein Quatrac Pros, and had a 4-wheel alignment and steering centered when new. Steering wheel was off-centered at delivery, and handling felt a bit off. Drove like a completely different car after the alignment. 20K+ on the tires after the alignment and they look like they are new. I have an 9xxx build, June 2020.

3. No AC/Heater use
4. Drive alone
6. Charge it to 100%

Just today on my way home from work, at 25% SOC my energy monitor was projecting 90 miles of range. It's a mix of city and freeway driving with traffic. My guess is that sustained driving at 80 mph on the open freeway would sap the range, but this is true of any EV.

Attachments

• PXL_20220928_013059874.jpg
    PXL_20220928_013059874.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 53