Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y LR (non performance)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All! New to the form here so Iam sorry if this was asked before but I can’t find any related posts.

I have a 2022 Model Y long rage (non performance) and it’s coming up to 1 year of ownership. Overall ia very happy but Iam just still trying to understand the sudden changes in charging over the year.

When I first got it, it would charge to 80% all the time and give and average of 420km (a bit less in the winter like 417km)

Few patches and system upgrades later I noticed it rarely charges to 80% (78-79%) sometimes jumps past and does 81%

But I noticed even when it hits 79% the range now is like 380km. I called Tesla and they did battery tests and said it’s all good and it’s all “normal” to see this..
Are they pulling my leg? Or is this a battery issue ?

The under/over charge session variation is fairly common. The Tesla Model Y's battery management system (BMS) cannot always accurately determine the precise state of charge (SOC) of the battery as there are many variables including temperature. You can help by leaving Sentry mode and Summon standby (if equipped with Full Self Driving) off when parked at home so that the Tesla vehicle enters sleep mode and does always not remain awake in standby mode. When in sleep mode the Tesla Model Y BMS will periodically measure the open cell voltage (OCV) of the cells within the battery pack. (This can take several hours, you will not be aware that the Tesla Model Y BMS is measuring the OCV.) The OCV is one important measure that the BMS uses to determine the relative SOC of the battery.

Exercise the battery periodically; charge above (>95%) and then drive until the battery SOC is below <20% (This will likely take a number of days of normal driving.) Then charge again to >95% and repeat several times. The Tesla Model Y's BMS will accrue more data points with which to determine SOC of the battery.

Upvote 0