Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y LR Wind Noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y LR is manufactured in Fremont Aug 30,2022. I logged service ticket with Tesla stating wind noise when vehicle attains speed of 55 mph and more. The service center at Tesla drove 2 miles and closed the ticket with notes that no significant wind noise is experienced during highway driving.

Obviously I'm not happy with the response, I want to challenge it asking how Tesla measures wind noise and what tests were performed to classify my vehicle does not require any fix?

Appreciate help and tips if someone have experienced this issue and how can I escalate to get appropriate response.

Reactions: kaizen099
My Model Y LR is manufactured in Fremont Aug 30,2022. I logged service ticket with Tesla stating wind noise when vehicle attains speed of 55 mph and more. The service center at Tesla drove 2 miles and closed the ticket with notes that no significant wind noise is experienced during highway driving.

Obviously I'm not happy with the response, I want to challenge it asking how Tesla measures wind noise and what tests were performed to classify my vehicle does not require any fix?

Appreciate help and tips if someone have experienced this issue and how can I escalate to get appropriate response.

There is virtually zero chance you are going to get tesla to address anything related to "wind noise" for one of their vehicles. I am not saying you dont hear it, I am saying there is no way (none, zip) that tesla is going to address anything about wind noise.

There is no escalation you will be able to make, either.

I dont work for tesla, so in effect I am just some random person on the net, but I will tell you that people have been talking about wind noise on tesla vehicles since way before I got my model 3 in 2018, and its one of those things they continue to talk about now. My wifes model Y is better than my model 3, but since there is no engine, there is more noise (and the cars in general exhibit more wind noise than some other cars in this category).

The tip I can give you (since you asked for tips) is to either let it go, or look through some of the many threads on wind noise and see if you want to try some of the home brew stuff people try. Tesla will not address this, and continuing to harp on it with them is only going to get you "branded" at your local service center.

Reactions: myky and Ciaopec
Upvote 0

I think it depends on what type of wind noise. Whistling they seem to care about...if this is just you notice more wind noise because there isn't an engine getting in the way, you're not getting anywhere with that. I'm sure you feel it is just more wind noise but in reverse, I'd ask how are you measuring that compared to another car?

Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
Probably should start my own thread but it is wind noise related, but do any of you get a breeze into the car from the drivers side window area when you have your left arm on the sill and a car passes you on the left? Happens to me every time with my 1 month old MYP.

Upvote 0
First, find where the wind noise is coming from i.e. front driver window, front passanger window or any of the back windows.

Once you have found out which window the noise is coming from.. whilst driving apply slight pressure to the window to see if the noise gets worse. And if it does get worse that means the seal is not right when the window closes and thats the culprit.

The reason i know this my Model x is in service and they gave me a model 3 as a loaner. I also own a model 3 and thrre is no wind noise whatsoever. But the loaner i have has wind noise from driver window and when i apply slight pressure to the window it gets worse and when i drive 100mph on the loaner there is madsive wind noise coming.

Once you have obtained this info you can challange Tesla.

I hope this helps. 😀

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and tm1v2
Upvote 0
Probably should start my own thread but it is wind noise related, but do any of you get a breeze into the car from the drivers side window area when you have your left arm on the sill and a car passes you on the left? Happens to me every time with my 1 month old MYP.
Yes I’ve been feeling that breeze too in my new 22 LR especially when a truck passes me…But I have no idea where this comes from. I never had that with my 2018 Model 3. The window is completely closed and the seal looks good…Really weird.

Upvote 0
First, find where the wind noise is coming from i.e. front driver window, front passanger window or any of the back windows.

Once you have found out which window the noise is coming from.. whilst driving apply slight pressure to the window to see if the noise gets worse. And if it does get worse that means the seal is not right when the window closes and thats the culprit.

The reason i know this my Model x is in service and they gave me a model 3 as a loaner. I also own a model 3 and thrre is no wind noise whatsoever. But the loaner i have has wind noise from driver window and when i apply slight pressure to the window it gets worse and when i drive 100mph on the loaner there is madsive wind noise coming.

Once you have obtained this info you can challange Tesla.

I hope this helps. 😀
Thanks. I can't figure where the noise is coming from, feel it's entire cabin. It's very obvious when car is driven 55 mph and above. I'm not sure how to compare wind noise and challenge Tesla as they don't seem to acknowledge customer complaints

Upvote 0
I had the same concern when I took delivery in March this year. Mobile service rep came out, drove my car around for a few miles (I went with him), and he said it was fine/normal.

I ended up installing a wind noise reduction kit from RPM Tesla. I didn't think this made a dramatic difference when I installed it, but I will say now that I've had the car for a little more than 6 months wind noise doesn't bother me at all.

Kit maybe helped a little bit, but mostly I think I just got used to it so I don't. Notice it anymore.

My advice would be to get the kit if you want, but more importantly, focus on all the great things about the car, and let this issue just fade away.. in the wind...

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
I had the same concern when I took delivery in March this year. Mobile service rep came out, drove my car around for a few miles (I went with him), and he said it was fine/normal.

I ended up installing a wind noise reduction kit from RPM Tesla. I didn't think this made a dramatic difference when I installed it, but I will say now that I've had the car for a little more than 6 months wind noise doesn't bother me at all.

Kit maybe helped a little bit, but mostly I think I just got used to it so I don't. Notice it anymore.

My advice would be to get the kit if you want, but more importantly, focus on all the great things about the car, and let this issue just fade away.. in the wind...
The problem with Tesla is that everything is pretty normal to them.

They are trying to say that each of there car are built differently like the jaguar e type classic. But all e types were made by hand and all tesla are made by machines.

Tesla just dont want to own there mistake and be liable for repairing the issues.

Upvote 0
Yes I’ve been feeling that breeze too in my new 22 LR especially when a truck passes me…But I have no idea where this comes from. I never had that with my 2018 Model 3. The window is completely closed and the seal looks good…Really weird.
I literally thought I was the only one that had this exact issue... I feel cool air between the top of the door from and B pillar.

I've had the Fremont Service Center diagnose the air intrusion four times. First, they test drove and could not duplicate. Second, they adjusted the door inward and it helped a little bit leading me to the window/door seals. Third, they adjusted the main body seals and it worsened. Fourth, they adjusted the window seals and issue persists.

The passenger door doesn't have this issue. So I took a closer look at the driver door seals first and discovered that it's installed more left compared to the passenger door. Based on the differences, I believe when the door is closed, the seals don't make tight enough contact to seal the body from air intruding especially when cars pass by.

I have a fifth appointment Friday and will ask for the service manager. I will firmly request that the window and door seals be replaced and installed closer inward towards the main body seals. If it's similar to the passenger door, this should be the fix.

Reactions: Georgesb2
Upvote 0
I have felt this before - didnt know what to attribute it too. Having said that. I’m 99% sure I havent felt it since adding the second set of seals to the vehicle (frunk doors, trunk) in an effort to reduce tire/road noise.

Upvote 0
@ajexpert Pay close attention to where the top of the windshield meets the roof glass. Any chance the loud wind noise is coming from up there?

I know you said you can't tell where it's coming from, but I wonder if maybe it is from there, possibly across the whole width of the roof.

Have you been driven around by anyone else yet so you can listen carefully from different positions without having to focus on driving safely?

Upvote 0
6E6656BF-2DA5-42BC-8040-EFFF4397E51A.jpeg

Welp, it looks like I may have found the culprit! I took a closer look at the passenger window to find that it’s not closing completely creating a gap between the seal and appliqué.

My Y was just at the Service Center yesterday for a window regulator replacement. I asked if they would also look at the window and of course they didn’t.

I have a Mobile Service appointment for next Friday, hopefully it’s just a window adjustment.

• Informative
Reactions: EasyPal and tm1v2
Upvote 0
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes.
In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most. In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

Best of luck,

Let us know of your progress....

Upvote 0