Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y LR Wind Noise.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model Y LR is manufactured in Fremont Aug 30,2022. I logged service ticket with Tesla stating wind noise when vehicle attains speed of 55 mph and more. The service center at Tesla drove 2 miles and closed the ticket with notes that no significant wind noise is experienced during highway driving.

Obviously I'm not happy with the response, I want to challenge it asking how Tesla measures wind noise and what tests were performed to classify my vehicle does not require any fix?

Appreciate help and tips if someone have experienced this issue and how can I escalate to get appropriate response.

Reactions: kaizen099
My Model Y LR is manufactured in Fremont Aug 30,2022. I logged service ticket with Tesla stating wind noise when vehicle attains speed of 55 mph and more. The service center at Tesla drove 2 miles and closed the ticket with notes that no significant wind noise is experienced during highway driving.

Obviously I'm not happy with the response, I want to challenge it asking how Tesla measures wind noise and what tests were performed to classify my vehicle does not require any fix?

Appreciate help and tips if someone have experienced this issue and how can I escalate to get appropriate response.

Upvote 0
What solutions?
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes. *This was on the 2022 Model 3 P. But should be similar across models.

In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

Very important, I cannot emphasize enough, spend the time to isolate the source(s) of the most annoying noise source.
Without locating the source, we are just flailing in the wind, so to speak.

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.
While you are at it, inspect all the rubber seals. And while you are at it, look at the doors and lids fitment closely. Any looseness or unevenness will cause problems.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most!
In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.
There are some YouTube videos but it's simple really.

2a) Added after reading other's posts. In a dark setting have an assistant shine a very strong flashlight into the car at every place that you are able to see any cracks from the interior, while sitting in the interior. I've read of gaps between glass and body. Try to find any gaps, no matter how small.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

You may or may not need to do all of the following. Any one or any combination might reduce noise enough:

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

7) Added after reading other posts. Make certain the frunk lid is shutting fully, level and tightly.

Road noise can possibly be reduced this way but generally road noise is an entirely different problem to solve.

Best of luck,

Let us know of your progress....

Upvote 0
I was able to significantly reduce wind noise by a series of changes. *This was on the 2022 Model 3 P. But should be similar across models.

In my case, the majority of the wind noise was from the top of both front side windows, at the top.

Very important, I cannot emphasize enough, spend the time to isolate the source(s) of the most annoying noise source.
Without locating the source, we are just flailing in the wind, so to speak.

1) Make certain the rubber seal that is inserted into the roof line, is fully inserted. Mine was dropping down at times in spots.
While you are at it, inspect all the rubber seals. And while you are at it, look at the doors and lids fitment closely. Any looseness or unevenness will cause problems.

2) Try to isolate where the noise comes from the most!
In my case it was the top rear corner of both windows. You can isolate by several methods. Get an assistant. With a hair drier blow air (no need for heat) on the window, moving from one end to the other. Sit inside and listen. Other methods include temporary tape and drive.
There are some YouTube videos but it's simple really.

2a) Added after reading other's posts. In a dark setting have an assistant shine a very strong flashlight into the car at every place that you are able to see any cracks from the interior, while sitting in the interior. I've read of gaps between glass and body. Try to find any gaps, no matter how small.

3) If the noise the top of the window, carefully inspect the rubber seal that the window should seat against. If the rubber is bent or otherwise pushed in, you may need to replace. But prior to that, simply move the rubber seal where it seats with a finger to get it restored to stock position.

You may or may not need to do all of the following. Any one or any combination might reduce noise enough:

4) Adjust the window so it's tighter at top, assuming that's where the problem is determined to be.

5) Adjust the door to shut a mill or two tighter overall.

6) Insert a soft rubber spacer to "push" the rubber towards the window.

7) Added after reading other posts. Make certain the frunk lid is shutting fully, level and tightly.

Road noise can possibly be reduced this way but generally road noise is an entirely different problem to solve.

Best of luck,

Let us know of your progress....
I wish you had a video or pictures of all of these processes haha

Upvote 0
I wish you had a video or pictures of all of these processes haha
There are a number of very good videos on parts of the process. I hope to make a complete video overview one day. I'll try to get on it for you. It would be on my channel YouTube George Borrelli, where I already posted several helpful videos on other subjects.
There's a great video on how to adjust the windows tighter.

Upvote 0
View attachment 874071
Welp, it looks like I may have found the culprit! I took a closer look at the passenger window to find that it’s not closing completely creating a gap between the seal and appliqué.

My Y was just at the Service Center yesterday for a window regulator replacement. I asked if they would also look at the window and of course they didn’t.

I have a Mobile Service appointment for next Friday, hopefully it’s just a window adjustment.
Update: Mobile Service adjusted the window three times to get the alignment as even as possible. When the interior door panel is off, it’s only 2 screws that hold the window in place and loosened to be manually moved. They don’t any measure tools and it’s all eyeballed. The service technician was nice to let me look at the results and accept or decline.

This unfortunately did not resolve the excessive wind noise from the windshield to B pillar area. I was driving 70mph and today there was extra wind which resulted in the air static noise as before.

13EBDB21-6C76-4E7C-B231-F142E69A3DA7.jpeg

Tesla replaced the windshield a few weeks ago due to a crack and I believe that’s when the wind noise started. There’s a rubber seal gap and wondering if this could be it? A part of me is confused since the noise only happens when driving 65+mph on windier days, it’s not all the time.

Upvote 0
Tesla replaced my Model Y's roof glass. Roof and hatch are flush now, The waved wind noise (air buffeting) is gone. However, there is this excessive wind noise above 25 mph. There is also a rubber seal gap on the roof glass. @EvilStryke I noticed your message in 2022 Tesla Model Y cabin noise. Thanks. I have a Mobile Service Appointment next Monday, will see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_E2040.JPG
    IMG_E2040.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Upvote 0
In addition to all the changes I've already mentioned and changes others have posted, I also found a wrinkle or fold in the rubber seal. Closely examine the rubber seal that goes all the way around the roof line and B pillar, which the window sets against to make the seal.
I actually had to pull it down some to see there was a fold.
I've reduced the wind noise but not eliminated.

Upvote 0
In addition to all the changes I've already mentioned and changes others have posted, I also found a wrinkle or fold in the rubber seal. Closely examine the rubber seal that goes all the way around the roof line and B pillar, which the window sets against to make the seal.
I actually had to pull it down some to see there was a fold.
I've reduced the wind noise but not eliminated.
Can you take a pic of it and share please?

Reactions: Georgesb2
Upvote 0
Can you take a pic of it and share please?
You remind me that I need to make a video about all things related to wind noise. I wanted to wait until I fully resolved and fully understood everything possible. I have a YouTube channel under my name, George Borrelli.
I haven't taken pictures or posted yet.
Meanwhile I have posted other videos about how to adjust the windows, etc.

Upvote 0
Update: Mobile Service adjusted the window three times to get the alignment as even as possible. When the interior door panel is off, it’s only 2 screws that hold the window in place and loosened to be manually moved. They don’t any measure tools and it’s all eyeballed. The service technician was nice to let me look at the results and accept or decline.

This unfortunately did not resolve the excessive wind noise from the windshield to B pillar area. I was driving 70mph and today there was extra wind which resulted in the air static noise as before.

View attachment 876022
Tesla replaced the windshield a few weeks ago due to a crack and I believe that’s when the wind noise started. There’s a rubber seal gap and wondering if this could be it? A part of me is confused since the noise only happens when driving 65+mph on windier days, it’s not all the time.
@EvilStryke, what did Tesla SC say about the "rubber seal gap" on your windshield?

My Mobile Service appointment (to replace liftgate LH support strut) was pushed to next Monday. I will ask the service person about the rubber seal gap on my roof glass.

Upvote 0
@EvilStryke, what did Tesla SC say about the "rubber seal gap" on your windshield?

My Mobile Service appointment (to replace liftgate LH support strut) was pushed to next Monday. I will ask the service person about the rubber seal gap on my roof glass.
I was told that the tiny rubber seal gap on the roof glass will not cause leak or wind noise.

My wind noise is most likely caused by the front RH window, which totally sticks out comparing to the B-Pillar.

Another Service Appoint is needed.

Attachments

• Front RH Windows.jpg
    Front RH Windows.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 0

View attachment 876022

I have the same issue: right front area noise that starts at about 70mph. If I'm near a semi or other large vehicle, the turbulence can make the noise disappear. Once I'm out of the truck's turbulence it's back. The noise isn't loud, but it is incredibly annoying. It just drills into my right ear.

Upvote 0
I had similar issue model 3
I did all the taping and foam on these chats no help. Took to Tesla and they actually fixed it. Here’s what they wrote:

Performed a test drive and confirmed wind noise is present. Inspected area and performed adjustments to seals/ glass. Found A-pillar applique bowed and performed a smoke test. Found leak going past glass run seal. Removed and replaced seal with applique and performed additional test drive to confirm wind noise no longer present.

Upvote 0