Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model y odd charge results?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All! New to the form here so Iam sorry if this was asked before but I can’t find any related posts.

I have a 2022 Model Y long rage (non performance) and it’s coming up to 1 year of ownership. Overall ia very happy but Iam just still trying to understand the sudden changes in charging over the year.

When I first got it, it would charge to 80% all the time and give and average of 420km (a bit less in the winter like 417km)

Few patches and system upgrades later I noticed it rarely charges to 80% (78-79%) sometimes jumps past and does 81%

But I noticed even when it hits 79% the range now is like 380km. I called Tesla and they did battery tests and said it’s all good and it’s all “normal” to see this..
Are they pulling my leg? Or is this a battery issue ?

I am sorry if this was asked before but I can’t find any related posts.
Welcome.

Literally every third post in this forum section is some version of your question, so it’s pretty surprising you didn’t find anything related.

Cutting to the chase: it’s normal. State of charge is an estimate subject to fluctuation and batteries degrade over time.

Upvote 0
But I noticed even when it hits 79% the range now is like 380km. I called Tesla and they did battery tests and said it’s all good and it’s all “normal” to see this..
Welcome!

There are a number of YouTube videos about re-calibrating your battery by Kim Java and others. For some people, re-calibration "magically" restores some of their lost range. Basically, if you never charge to 100% or discharge close to 0% then the system can lose track of what the actual battery capacity is. Some degradation is normal but sometimes what seems like excess degradation is partly due to poor calibration.

Kyle Conner makes a lot of videos about EVs. He does not rely on the range reported by the vehicles. He tests range by charging to 100% and then driving at 70 mph until there is no charge left in the battery.

Upvote 0
Welcome!

There are a number of YouTube videos about re-calibrating your battery by Kim Java and others. For some people, re-calibration "magically" restores some of their lost range. Basically, if you never charge to 100% or discharge close to 0% then the system can lose track of what the actual battery capacity is. Some degradation is normal but sometimes what seems like excess degradation is partly due to poor calibration.

Kyle Conner makes a lot of videos about EVs. He does not rely on the range reported by the vehicles. He tests range by charging to 100% and then driving at 70 mph until there is no charge left in the battery.
Thanks I will check out these videos. I guess I’ll start viewing the % vs the range on the console

Upvote 0
It is the EPA range times the percentage of battery left.
Well, no, it isn't, which is why the rated miles value is more accurate than percentage. It is a measure of the energy the car is detecting, divided by a fixed efficiency constant.

Here's an example. Let's say (extreme example) the battery had terribly lost half of its capacity to hold energy. % is simply a fullness ratio. When it's holding all it can hold, that is 100%. So this terrible battery that's lost half of its capacity will still gladly display 100% to you, where you can't see that's a problem. But rated miles is the actual energy amount, so you would see that it's far less than it is supposed to be.

But most people get way too stressed out from seeing the little fluctuations in the estimated energy amount, and can't handle it, so it's better for them to switch to % so they don't have to see that.

Upvote 0
Well, no, it isn't, which is why the rated miles value is more accurate than percentage. It is a measure of the energy the car is detecting, divided by a fixed efficiency constant.

Here's an example. Let's say (extreme example) the battery had terribly lost half of its capacity to hold energy. % is simply a fullness ratio. When it's holding all it can hold, that is 100%. So this terrible battery that's lost half of its capacity will still gladly display 100% to you, where you can't see that's a problem. But rated miles is the actual energy amount, so you would see that it's far less than it is supposed to be.

But most people get way too stressed out from seeing the little fluctuations in the estimated energy amount, and can't handle it, so it's better for them to switch to % so they don't have to see that.
Realistically as long as I know the battery is healthy Iam good. That’s my biggest concern as Iam one to dig deep into reasons and hearing from Tesla that “the car uses complex algorithms to calculate … “ blah blah makes me feel it’s a brush off lol

I rather know the math !!

Upvote 0
Interesting. Do you agree the range shown near the battery icon is still a crude estimate compared to the range show in the energy consumption screen?

It's still puzzling why the UI provides two different range estimates. I just got back from a trip to the post office in my June 2021 LR Model Y. Here is what the car reported:

state of charge near battery icon48%
range near battery icon152 miles
range in energy app screen142 miles

The total range given near the battery icon is 317 (152 / .48) miles which is within rounding of the 316 mile EPA range. I got the EPA range from this article:

which says the range increased by 10 miles to 326 miles in October 2021.

My quick check is consistent with the range near the battery icon being the EPA range divided by the state of charge. But even if they use a correction factor, the result differs significantly from the much more accurate range given in the energy app screen so IMO the range near the battery icon is pretty worthless.

BTW: there are a number of threads here that use the range given in the energy app to calculate the total battery capacity. For example:

AFAIK, no one suggests using the range near the battery icon for this.

Upvote 0
Interesting. Do you agree the range shown near the battery icon is still a crude estimate compared to the range show in the energy consumption screen?

It's still puzzling why the UI provides two different range estimates. I just got back from a trip to the post office in my June 2021 LR Model Y. Here is what the car reported:
Ah, there is a very simple explanation for that, of why one shows 152, but the other shows 142. The one next to the battery icon is really a fuel gauge. It's not a driving estimate. So that one showing the rated miles is the energy divided by a FIXED efficiency CONSTANT, that's derived from the EPA testing. So that's going to deplete down gradually, like a fuel gauge, but the number is going to look a little optimistic.

The one in the energy app is trying to be a predictor or estimation of the real distance miles you will likely be able to go based on your recent driving history consumption. So that one will move around a lot more if you start getting a headwind or drive faster or turn on the heat or start going uphill, etc. etc. But because it is taking into account all of those realtime factors, it does tend to be a more accurate prediction of real driving distance.

But even if they use a correction factor, the result differs significantly from the much more accurate range given in the energy app screen so IMO the range near the battery icon is pretty worthless.
It's got a purpose for ballpark eyeballing stuff. My friend in Twin Falls is about 125 miles away. I don't know how many % away that is. Humans don't think of distances in terms of %. So having the % on there isn't too informative. But I can look at it, and if it says 130 rated miles, that's too close and not a good idea. If it says 220, sure, that's fine. Yes, of course pulling up and viewing the Energy app would give a more close approximation, but this lets you see it instantly at a glance (on your phone app even!) without having to pull up the energy app on the car's screen.

Reactions: McCain73
Upvote 0