Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y "Outer Portion" Tire Wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, hope everyone is doing well. Has anyone experienced this type of tire wear on their 2022 Model Y LR. I have attached 2 pictures. I have 8,000 miles on the Model Y. You can see that the outer portion of the tire seems to be wearing faster than the inner portion. Did I wait too long to perform the first tire rotation, is this an alignment issue or possibly a tire defect? Thank you.

Model Y Tire Picture 1.jpg
Model Y Tire Picture 2.jpg

If the out-side tread is wearing faster than the center of the tire tread this could be due to underinflation (low tire pressure.). Tesla recommends 42 PSI when measured cold for the tires on the Tesla Model Y (19", 20" and 21" size tires.) If you set the tire pressure too low this can cause cupping where the center of the tread does not make good contact with the road. Conversely over inflation (too much tire pressure) can cause the center portion of the tire tread to wear faster than the outer portions. A few pounds + or - should not matter. Is this only on one tire or both front or both rear tires or on all 4 tires? The best way to judge even or uneven tire wear is with a tread depth gauge (under $10). When shopping for a tread depth gauge be sure the gauge reads in 32nds of an inch (as well as mm) as the 32nd/inch is the standard in the US when discussing tread depth and tread wear.

Looks like a toe-in alignment issue to me. Many cars come with out of spec alignment from the factory, I know mine did. Measure tread depth across the tire. Is it just on one tire?

Looks like a toe-in alignment issue to me. Many cars come with out of spec alignment from the factory, I know mine did. Measure tread depth across the tire. Is it just on one tire?
Hi, I have to check, so "toe in" would be when tires are pointing in toward each other? Like this? // \\

Reactions: Pianewman
Hi everyone, we are going to have the tires checked out at a Goodyear tire center, just in case it's an issue with the tires. The tires must be inspected by a Goodyear tire center. Do these Goodyear tire centers have those "tire pucks" or should I have some delivered overnight? Is it something I should worry about? Thanks.

Hi everyone, we are going to have the tires checked out at a Goodyear tire center, just in case it's an issue with the tires. The tires must be inspected by a Goodyear tire center. Do these Goodyear tire centers have those "tire pucks" or should I have some delivered overnight? Is it something I should worry about? Thanks.
Unless the tires are being rotated or replaced the tire center will not need to raise the vehicle on the lift.

Hi, thanks, if they end up replacing the tires should I overnight some pucks via Amazon? We are going tomorrow afternoon, should I reschedule the visit until I receive the pucks or am I worrying too much? Thanks.
Tesla Service does not use lift pucks, I doubt the Goodyear Tire center does either. A hydraulic floor lift has built-in pads at the ends of each of the four moveable lift arms. You might speak to the Service Manager, let then know your concern that the Tesla vehicle must only be lifted using the proper lift points. In all probability they are familiar, by now, with how to lift a Tesla vehicle.

Reactions: kaizen099
Do you mean both outer edges are wearing faster that the center? Or the edge facing to the outside of the car is wearing faster than the inside edge? if the former, it could be under inflation. If the latter, it could be toe in, in which case I’d find a shop to check the alignment. Ideally a shop other than Tesla.

Do you mean both outer edges are wearing faster that the center? Or the edge facing to the outside of the car is wearing faster than the inside edge? if the former, it could be under inflation. If the latter, it could be toe in, in which case I’d find a shop to check the alignment. Ideally a shop other than Tesla.
Hi, yes, the outer part is wearing faster than the inner parts. So, it's the opposite of inside wear. When we initially took it to Tesla SC They said the car didn't need an alignment, but I think it does. They said we had to take the car to a Goodyear tire center for a warranty claim. I attached 2 additional pictures with a redline to show the difference, there are 2 larger pictures above. The car has 8k miles. Thanks.

Attachments

• Model Y Tire Picture 1.jpg
    Model Y Tire Picture 1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Model Y Tire Picture 2.jpg
    Model Y Tire Picture 2.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 70
So, these tires were on the rear of the vehicle first, THEN rotated? Or you haven't done the rotation yet?

8k is excessive wear for front tires, but if they were on the rear, it makes more sense. If these have exclusively been on the front of the vehicle, yes, you need an alignment.

In any case, I see more wear on the inside (inboard, closest to the middle of the vehicle), but just barely. I think you're confusing outside and inside wear, the tread is more shallow on the inside. You can see it is more shallow based on the wear bars in the tread. These don't seem to be wearing unevenly at all, especially since they were on the rear. But those tires are essentially shot, you need new ones. Hydroplaning will be a problem with these if driven through deep water at highway speed.

There is nothing wrong with your tires... No reason to go to a "Goodyear" tire center for this. You have a Tesla and it wears out tires quickly. The tread isn't choppy or cupped, it's just camber wear from (likely) being on the rear of the vehicle. There's a lot of costly suggestions in this thread that won't make any meaningful difference - even Tesla refused your money. :)

Last edited:
So, these tires were on the rear of the vehicle first, THEN rotated? Or you haven't done the rotation yet?

8k is excessive wear for front tires, but if they were on the rear, it makes more sense. If these have exclusively been on the front of the vehicle, yes, you need an alignment.

In any case, I see more wear on the inside (inboard, closest to the middle of the vehicle), but just barely. I think you're confusing outside and inside wear, the tread is more shallow on the inside. You can see it is more shallow based on the wear bars in the tread. These don't seem to be wearing unevenly at all, especially since they were on the rear. But those tires are essentially shot, you need new ones. Hydroplaning will be a problem with these if driven through deep water at highway speed.

There is nothing wrong with your tires... No reason to go to a "Goodyear" tire center for this. You have a Tesla and it wears out tires quickly. The tread isn't choppy or cupped, it's just camber wear from (likely) being on the rear of the vehicle. There's a lot of costly suggestions in this thread that won't make any meaningful difference - even Tesla refused your money. :)
Agreed. Further more fully turning the wheel as shown in the photos will camber the wheels as shown. Appears over inflated and even wear with some hard acceleration imo

Hi, thanks, they removed the tires and balanced them and placed them back in same location. My Mom stated she felt vibration when driving, but Tesla service center stated they didn't need to be rotated and vehicle didn't need alignment. Thanks for all the information, I appreciate it.

The tire wear looks even to me. The inside groove and outside groove appears to be the same depth. Not sure what you mean by excessive wear. The geometry of the tire may be not look square because you have turned the wheel at an angle and bearing load, so it has a significant negative camber. You need to measure it when it is pointed straight or is off the ground.

Looked at your pic again. Maybe just the angle of the pic but it appears that the center rib is worn more than the inside or outside. If that’s the case then it would be overinflated.
Either way, only 8,000 miles?

Attachments

• 1673B948-88DD-4DC2-BB92-6508943C034B.jpeg
    1673B948-88DD-4DC2-BB92-6508943C034B.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 63