Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Performance - Dallas to Austin Roadtrip*

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to this community, new to Tesla and new to EVs. I took delivery of my Tesla Model Y Performance a couple weeks ago and have put ~260 miles on it. I'll be stretching its legs for the first time tomorrow taking it from Dallas to Austin. I searched quite a few posts, but couldn't get the answer to my exact question:

Is Dallas to Austin on one 100% charge (with no stop in Waco) possible? I see pretty much everyone stops in Waco. Maybe its worth it for peace of mind.

My Trip: 197 miles, destination has charging
Temp: 100 degrees
Speed: 80-85 mph traffic permitting

Since I haven't really driven more than 60 miles in a day, I am not sure how this speed will affect it.

In my head, with a stated range of 303 miles, it feels like 100+ miles of buffer should be enough to counter speed, wind, temp, etc. variances, but after reading posts here I am much less confident. The Tesla trip planner says I should stop for 15 minutes in Waco. ABRP says I can make it (with 12%), I put in speed, temp, etc.

I will feel it out as Waco nears and determine if a stop is needed.

I am a big fan of road trips and am usually the type to brute force my way to my destination, I know that will need to change. BUT, I am looking forward to using autopilot on these trips. I have a ~670 mile trip in a couple months, so this is a test of sorts.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Will follow up with any newfound data after the trip.

*term used lightly

Reactions: Art84 and nate704
My Trip: 197 miles, destination has charging
Temp: 100 degrees
Speed: 80-85 mph traffic permitting

Since I haven't really driven more than 60 miles in a day, I am not sure how this speed will affect it.

In my head, with a stated range of 303 miles, it feels like 100+ miles of buffer should be enough to counter speed, wind, temp, etc. variances, but after reading posts here I am much less confident. The Tesla trip planner says I should stop for 15 minutes in Waco. ABRP says I can make it (with 12%), I put in speed, temp, etc.
The trip menu shows you average energy use on the last trip, since last charge, and lifetime. That can give you some info to work with.

If you put the address in the Tesla Nav, what does it say? (say at 80%). Also, what is the charging situation at your destination? I did a road trip to my sister in LA and got to her at 13%, expecting to use a SC a mile away. It turned out to be closed, so it was a bit more awkward, esp as I didn't bring my mobile charger. I'd rather arrive at a (not my home) destination with 30%, unless there will be L2 charging there. The Tesla Nav doesn't try to do this.

As for range- that 303 is for going a heck of a lot slower than 85. What trips all of us up is thinking that going 75 or 85 is just a bit less efficient. That's true in a gas car, one that is already wasting 70% of its energy as waste. This masks the efficiency loss in the higher speed. But as the EV does not have the problem, we experience the full magnitude of the hit.

Ultimately you're coming back, so you're going to take that charging hit regardless. (unless, again, you have charging right at the destination). So it doesn't matter if you stop on the way there, or do it on the way back.

Reactions: Jayohee and Wilber
Your range will plummet if you go 80-85. I seem to get the advertised range (or close enough) going 40 in traffic. I get about 3/4 of the range at freeway speeds. make sure you plug in the supercharger as a destination so that your car conditions the battery before you get there!

Reactions: Suns_PSD
The trip menu shows you average energy use on the last trip, since last charge, and lifetime. That can give you some info to work with.

If you put the address in the Tesla Nav, what does it say? (say at 80%). Also, what is the charging situation at your destination? I did a road trip to my sister in LA and got to her at 13%, expecting to use a SC a mile away. It turned out to be closed, so it was a bit more awkward, esp as I didn't bring my mobile charger. I'd rather arrive at a (not my home) destination with 30%, unless there will be L2 charging there. The Tesla Nav doesn't try to do this.

As for range- that 303 is for going a heck of a lot slower than 85. What trips all of us up is thinking that going 75 or 85 is just a bit less efficient. That's true in a gas car, one that is already wasting 70% of its energy as waste. This masks the efficiency loss in the higher speed. But as the EV does not have the problem, we experience the full magnitude of the hit.

Ultimately you're coming back, so you're going to take that charging hit regardless. (unless, again, you have charging right at the destination). So it doesn't matter if you stop on the way there, or do it on the way back.
Supper helpful to look at this on the in car nav. vs. the Tesla Trip planner and ABRP. And a helpful way to think about energy efficiency. I've been an ICE guy my whole life and can get there and back going 85 on one tank, albeit that's $100+ these days.

It initially puts the charging stop in there, but you can select to remove the stop (as I am sure you were already aware). This then throws a yellow caution up saying to remain below 75 mph to reach destination.

This right here tells me I am going to need to stop.

Also, I am sure you are aware it puts up your estimated SoC (learned this term today) for arriving at both locations. Super helpful again. That shows 42% in Waco (I am at 90% right now, will charge it to 100% overnight) and 19% at my destination in Austin.

Since its the first time my MY will be away from home, and it seems like the stop is inevitable, I'll probably give it some extra time on the super charger for that additional peace of mind. There is a charger at the destination (which is why, I was hoping it could do it in one straight shot), and I keep the mobile charger in the car for any worst case scenarios.

Looking forward to learning more about my car on the trip. Thanks for the input.

Did the Tesla tell you to go to the closed super charger or were you just planning on using it? I feel like it should be aware of that fact. Also do they close (or just down for maintenance)? I would like to think I could charge anytime I need, since payment is automated... I have yet to use a super charger or any charging outside my home.

First piece of advice is to not believe you will have 303 miles of range. That number is inaccurate.
For a Model Y Performance you should expect 260-270 miles of range from a 100% charge IF you drive 65MPH.
Since you are going 80-85MPH I would realistically say you'll get 150-180 miles of range.

Where abouts are you coming from in the Dallas area? I’ve done North Austin to Alvarado. I left with 100% and got there with about 35% left.

However if you are coming from somewhere further up north like McKinney or Allen you might be pushing it.

Though no way you’ll make it going 85. I pretty much stick to 70 on road trips.

I'm in Dallas too. I would suggest stopping to get at least a little charge until you get used to electric cars and judging if you think you'll make it. Since you're new to your MYP and EVs, it's better to be safe than sorry. You'll learn over time how speed, elevation, winds, and temp can have a huge effect on range. I typically figure out the % I want to have at my destination and then adjust my driving based on the energy graph on the screen during the trip. It will keep adjusting your estimated arrival % as you drive and it's been pretty accurate for me. Long distance traveling is super easy for me now because I know my Model 3. As soon as I get my MYP in a couple months (fingers crossed), I'll have to learn that car.

Also...if you're not already part of our local Tesla Facebook group for North Texas, come join us! We help each other all the time. If you need the link, let me know and I'll message it to you.

First piece of advice is to not believe you will have 303 miles of range. That number is inaccurate.
For a Model Y Performance you should expect 260-270 miles of range from a 100% charge IF you drive 65MPH.
Since you are going 80-85MPH I would realistically say you'll get 150-180 miles of range.
I owned a 2018 M3LR for several years with 310 miles of rated range. 180 miles at 80mph was a stretch. A 15 min stop in Waco will give you needed cushion.

Since its the first time my MY will be away from home, and it seems like the stop is inevitable, I'll probably give it some extra time on the super charger for that additional peace of mind. There is a charger at the destination (which is why, I was hoping it could do it in one straight shot), and I keep the mobile charger in the car for any worst case scenarios.
It doesn't have to be a long stop. If you have high confidence in your ability to charge at the destination, doing a 10 minute charge may give you the cushion. Charging speed at the L3s is front loaded anyway.

Thank you for the advice.

Friday (201 miles) - Charged it up to 100%, started the drive, the car said we needed 15 minutes in Waco. As we got into the trip it changed, and said we would arrive with 11% or 12% with no need to stop. I was going 80-85 on autopilot whenever their wasn't traffic, but being Friday afternoon/early evening there was a decent bit. After getting closer, it looked like arriving wouldn't be a problem, but decided to be cautious on trip one and stopped at the Round Rock SC for 15 minutes (arrived there with ~15%, punched it here and there since I knew I was going to 'fill it up').

I did not charge at the destination in Austin and drove a bit on Saturday (14 miles).

Sunday (204 miles) - left with about 40% charge and stopped at the Round Rock SC and took it up to 90%. Auto pilot pretty much the whole way 80-85, a little more spirited at the end when I knew I had plenty of charge. Arrived home with 16%.

PS: A lot of people talk about AC settings. I naturally run hot, so its always set to low and 4-6 speed depending. After reading posts here it did better than I expected from a range perspective. Auto pilot is a fantastic invention. Charging was much more convenient than I expected. The Energy/Consumption page is great and was pretty accurate.

Thank you for the advice.

Friday (201 miles) - Charged it up to 100%, started the drive, the car said we needed 15 minutes in Waco. As we got into the trip it changed, and said we would arrive with 11% or 12% with no need to stop. I was going 80-85 on autopilot whenever their wasn't traffic, but being Friday afternoon/early evening there was a decent bit. After getting closer, it looked like arriving wouldn't be a problem, but decided to be cautious on trip one and stopped at the Round Rock SC for 15 minutes (arrived there with ~15%, punched it here and there since I knew I was going to 'fill it up').

I did not charge at the destination in Austin and drove a bit on Saturday (14 miles).

Sunday (204 miles) - left with about 40% charge and stopped at the Round Rock SC and took it up to 90%. Auto pilot pretty much the whole way 80-85, a little more spirited at the end when I knew I had plenty of charge. Arrived home with 16%.

PS: A lot of people talk about AC settings. I naturally run hot, so its always set to low and 4-6 speed depending. After reading posts here it did better than I expected from a range perspective. Auto pilot is a fantastic invention. Charging was much more convenient than I expected. The Energy/Consumption page is great and was pretty accurate.
Good to know - how much did it cost you to charge for those 15 mins at the SC from 40 to 90%. Have yet to use a SC as I have free charging at my complex but plan on driving to Austin from Houston in October so will take advantage of SC then

Good to know - how much did it cost you to charge for those 15 mins at the SC from 40 to 90%. Have yet to use a SC as I have free charging at my complex but plan on driving to Austin from Houston in October so will take advantage of SC then

$16.32 for the 40% to 90% for the return trip.

$13.60 when I put some in on the way down.

That's $0.34/kwh vs. $0.17/kwh that I pay at home.

Reactions: Triplem086