Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Performance rear drive unit noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

NaperY

OD 1/8: MYLR5 - Changed 4/14: MYP
Mar 5, 2022
Naperville
Took Delivery in April this year, about 6000 miles in we've suddenly started experiencing a whirring noise from the rear. it seems to change pitch upon speed. It is different from the "whine" noise folks have been attributing to the ground cable, but I'm totally stumped what it could be.

We're currently on vacation in Canada (planned to head home to Chicago area next weekend) and a little nervous about the 500 mile trip.

Any advice is obviously much appreciated!!

What makes you say / think it's the rear drive unit and not something else?

The other fairly common fix is the penthouse seal but that is a high pitched electrical noise, whereas this is quite a low pitch noise, and sounds more mechanical or friction based.

Have you checked nothing is rubbing under the car, and that all the wheels are torqued properly, nothing sticking out of any tyres etc? Could just be me but my immediate thought is that this sounds like rubber against plastic somewhere under the car.

Failing any of the above all you can really do is get an SC appointment.

P.S. if you get your camera crew to put the phone out of the window, at low-mid speeds is it still audible?

Last edited:
What makes you say / think it's the rear drive unit and not a wheel bearing or tyre?

The other fairly common fix is the penthouse seal but this is quite a low pitch noise, and sounds more mechanical to me than electrical.
Oh I’m not sure it is drive unit, it’s just coming from that area. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly where the noise is emitting from aside the rear. Ran my hands around the tires and they seem to be without Imperfections; lots of tread and pressure is holding…no flat spots.
After driving 40 miles neither the break, hub nor cv feels warm on either side.
Mostly concerned about our road trip home, to where I have an appointment scheduled for next week.

What makes you say / think it's the rear drive unit and not something else?

The other fairly common fix is the penthouse seal but that is a high pitched electrical noise, whereas this is quite a low pitch noise, and sounds more mechanical or friction based.

Have you checked nothing is rubbing under the car, and that all the wheels are torqued properly, nothing sticking out of any tyres etc? Could just be me but my immediate thought is that this sounds like rubber against plastic somewhere under the car.

Failing any of the above all you can really do is get an SC appointment.

P.S. if you get your camera crew to put the phone out of the window, at low-mid speeds is it still audible?
We’re gunna do a drive by today when the rain lets up and see if I can hear the noise then

Took Delivery in April this year, about 6000 miles in we've suddenly started experiencing a whirring noise from the rear. it seems to change pitch upon speed. It is different from the "whine" noise folks have been attributing to the ground cable, but I'm totally stumped what it could be.

We're currently on vacation in Canada (planned to head home to Chicago area next weekend) and a little nervous about the 500 mile trip.

Any advice is obviously much appreciated!!

Check tire wear. My non Tesla sounded similar. I got new tires - gone.

Reactions: NaperY
Thanks to all for suggestions so far!

Was able to lift the car at a local garage (I bought the rubber feet for the proper lift points) and spinning the wheels up to 30/40mph the noise is very obviously in driver's side rear.

When the car is in neutral turning the wheel by hand, there is a ripple resistance to that wheel as it turns, felt with my hand on the brake rotor cover on the back side of the wheel. Non of the other wheels feel that way.

There is no play in the wheel, feels solid up and down and front to back, but the sound is not encouraging.

I called and left a message with tesla service as i want to follow their suggestion, and if we can drive home with this.

My thinking exactly. It’s been 2 days since I’ve opened a service ticket and left a voicemail yesterday with service, and no response. We have to head back to Chicago Friday so not sure how we’re going to resolve this…
Have you tried calling the road side assist number instead of general service? They may be able to expedite and confirm if they think it’s safe to drive it or not.

After 5 days of sporadic texts with service, we were able to contact someone in upper management who was able very quickly and kindly send up a loaner, towed our vehicle to Toronto area, and towed it back after the repair. Suspicions were right- was rear wheel bearing. Both were replaced and sound was gone!

Reactions: OmegaMan
I’m starting to hear this noise now on my Model Y. My service is scheduled for March 7, which is the earliest I could get it. Should I be concerned about driving it until then? Do I need to limit my driving? Thank you!
I wouldn’t do any real travel on a bad wheel bearing, not even if the service centre says “our cars be driven with bad wheel bearings” (what they told me)
I’d keep on them to get you seen sooner.