Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Rear Ended and not drivable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022 Model Y Rear Ended and not drivable
After rear ended immediately getting accident message on the screen and disabled ( not drivable) and not able to access through app. Other person car rear ended when I stopped the car at red light signal and It got towed .
It seems like only damage to trunk and rear bumper ( lights) why the vehicle is disabled? Is it major? Or totaled ?

Please suggest me best place to repaire ( Bay Area ,SFO)

Last edited by a moderator:
that's about as minor as it can be. Looks on the surface like it incredibly missed everything but the hatch and they will likely just replace it.......no body work, sensors, panels....lucky!! The undrivable warning is likely just a precaution set off by the impact sensors. Don't know how your insurance works down there but my insurance budgeted 74k to fix mine and said they will go as high as they need. Yours if definitely not a write off. 10k damage

that's about as minor as it can be. Looks on the surface like it incredibly missed everything but the hatch and they will likely just replace it.......no body work, sensors, panels....lucky!! The undrivable warning is likely just a precaution set off by the impact sensors. Don't know how your insurance works down there but my insurance budgeted 74k to fix mine and said they will go as high as they need. Yours if definitely not a write off. 10k damage
Thanks. I had Tesla insurance . I called Tesla service center . They are not taking any collusion vehicle and I called almost all Tesla approved body shops in Bay Area. Around 3-4 most waiting time for non drivable vehicles. Other ford car is totaled ( air bags and heavy damage)
Rear ended very hard …not sure how much damage inside.

Thanks. I had Tesla insurance . I called Tesla service center . They are not taking any collusion vehicle and I called almost all Tesla approved body shops in Bay Area. Around 3-4 most waiting time for non drivable vehicles. Other ford car is totaled ( air bags and heavy damage)
Rear ended very hard …not sure how much damage inside.
3-4 months waiting time in Tesla certified body shops for non drivable vehicles.
Any suggestions for other alternatives

Ugh, that sucks. Always sucks to see these collisions.

From the pictures it looks only slightly worse than when I got rear-ended last year. Mine popped up some error messages but didn't say "not drivable" and I was able to drive it just fine afterwards while waiting for my body shop appointment. Mine wasn't too hard of an impact, but the other car's airbag deployed and had a lot more damage than mine. Perhaps either your pyro fuse blew like mentioned above, or something else inside got damaged.

By the way, is the 3~4 month wait time just to get the car into the body shop? Or is that the estimated completion time? I think I waited 2 months to get the car into the body shop and it stayed there for 1.5 months. Damage was around $6,500 for mine to replace liftgate, bumper, and some bar beneath the bumper. Body shop guy told me it would have at least doubled if there was damage to the floor in the trunk area.

Ugh, that sucks. Always sucks to see these collisions.

From the pictures it looks only slightly worse than when I got rear-ended last year. Mine popped up some error messages but didn't say "not drivable" and I was able to drive it just fine afterwards while waiting for my body shop appointment. Mine wasn't too hard of an impact, but the other car's airbag deployed and had a lot more damage than mine. Perhaps either your pyro fuse blew like mentioned above, or something else inside got damaged.

By the way, is the 3~4 month wait time just to get the car into the body shop? Or is that the estimated completion time? I think I waited 2 months to get the car into the body shop and it stayed there for 1.5 months. Damage was around $6,500 for mine to replace liftgate, bumper, and some bar beneath the bumper. Body shop guy told me it would have at least doubled if there was damage to the floor in the trunk area.
Thanks for reply..
3-4 months estimated completion time
Around 50-60 Tesla cars ahead .. so they will look into the car after that ( around 2-3 months) then ,they will order the parts (3 weeks ).max 1 month If it is drivable .

The car towed to near by Tesla service center after the accident. I thought they would make it drivable at least. (May be pyro fuse blew to isolate the HV battery in an accident.)Unfortunately , Tesla service center not accepting accident cars.

It seems like damage to lift gate ( need to replace) and bumper lights. No other damage from outside. But vehicle is disabled ( not able to access through app and keys ) completely locked. Not able to open the door and close the mirrors. )

Is there anyway to get the accident recording ?
I stopped at red signal. Other person is police man ( he rear ended around 70miles speed ) his ford car is totaled.
I’m sure sentry mode is enabled. This is my new vehicle ( 2 months old) Tesla insurance team just asked me about footage.

It seems like damage to lift gate ( need to replace) and bumper lights. No other damage from outside. But vehicle is disabled ( not able to access through app and keys ) completely locked. Not able to open the door and close the mirrors. )

Is there anyway to get the accident recording ?
I stopped at red signal. Other person is police man ( he rear ended around 70miles speed ) his ford car is totaled.
I’m sure sentry mode is enabled. This is my new vehicle ( 2 months old) Tesla insurance team just asked me about footage.
just take out the memory stick in the glovebox