Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y Rearended , Will it be totaled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to the community and have been reading comments on Model Y accidents.

My 2022 Model Y with around 13500 miles on it was rear ended and the damages seem bad. I have tesla insurance from Texas. After 48 hours of stressful conversations with Insurance & Roadside, I was able to get it to Tesla Collision.

If anyone with similar experiences can answer the below questions, I could probably sleep while waiting on the repair estimates.

1) From the pictures will the car be totaled?
2) Will i get market value or deprecated ,Will I receive the deprecated value from my purchase price or Market Value?

Because the new MY prices and delivery dates are huge.

Any experiences with Totled Model Y from Tesla insurance? Do they low ball?

D2AD5025-F219-46B0-B188-95F8A6A9D276.jpeg
AEE92F9B-573B-4477-9CDA-8983B93E2D2A.jpeg

The insurance company of the person who hit you will be covering this. Tesla insurance plays no role unless this was a hit and run and you couldn’t capture their license plate number.

Standard practice is that they’ll pay you the cost of obtaining a comparable vehicle. So if the market is super hot, you may get more than the price you’ll pay to take delivery of a new vehicle a year from today.

So the best case scenario for you is a total loss. If this happens, and you have another car, take the money, order a new Model Y, drive the other car, and switch back to Model Y when you eventually take delivery of it.

Upvote 0
Are you at fault or the other person has no insurance, Why you have to claim your own insurance? This looks pretty severe to me, the adjuster will tell you. I very much like to hear your Tesla insurance experience, they are very cheap but customer service probably similar to other Tesla division which concerns me.

Upvote 0
Are you at fault or the other person has no insurance, Why you have to claim your own insurance? This looks pretty severe to me, the adjuster will tell you. I very much like to hear your Tesla insurance experience, they are very cheap but customer service probably similar to other Tesla division which concerns me.
When your vehicle is hit from behind the other driver is almost always at fault for following too closely, etc.

Upvote 0
While it definitely is up to the insurance company and the estimates…that is a lot of damage. Related to the hassle, it just depends on the insurance, some will try to lowball, some seem really fair. A Model 3 on that forum recently went through the process and ended up with a fairly quick settlement for what he consider a very reasonable offer at current market value. You will just have to see how they act.

The standard…don’t settle the personal injury part ( hopefully you are fine…) until after they work out the car.

Upvote 0