Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y stops responding to all keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife was out running errands yesterday and called me. She said the car won't start. Occasionally the Model Y won't connect to her phone and she thought this was just another one of those times. She used her Tesla keycard - which has never failed us. Although she could get into the car, the car would not recognize the keycard and allow her to drive off.

After a few minutes of repeated attempts, the car did eventually recognize the card and allowed her to drive home.

Once home in the garage I tried our keyfob on the car (we bought a keyfob for the Y after some issues with my wife's phone), and the keyfob was completely non-responsive. We could not unlock the car, pop the trunk nothing. I changed the battery in the fob to a fresh one - still nothing. Again, this is the first time the keyfob has not worked for us.

I also tried to use my phone and my keycard with the car and could confirm that neither one of them worked. I even rebooted the MCU with no success. After repeated attempts to get the car to start with the keycard, it finally recognized it and allowed me to drive.

This is stressful and has us not trusting the car. I'm at a loss here as to what's going on or how to prevent this in the future. Any ideas? Our car is a 2022 MYP with 8k miles.

Same/similar happened to me yesterday. I dropped off my son to his school (in person) and came back to the car. I pulled the handle........nothing. no unlocking. tried all doors and nothing. I opened up the Tesla app and it shows it is locked. I had to unlock it with the phone unlock icon.

Same/similar happened to me yesterday. I dropped off my son to his school (in person) and came back to the car. I pulled the handle........nothing. no unlocking. tried all doors and nothing. I opened up the Tesla app and it shows it is locked. I had to unlock it with the phone unlock icon.

Occasionally we'll have issues with the phone not connecting to the car properly. It's an inconvenience, but we are still able to drive off once we get inside the car. My issue was yesterday is that while in the car, none of our keys were recognized and we were not able to drive.

Occasionally we'll have issues with the phone not connecting to the car properly. It's an inconvenience, but we are still able to drive off once we get inside the car. My issue was yesterday is that while in the car, none of our keys were recognized and we were not able to drive.
When it happened, did you check your app to see the car is still showing under your account? I wonder if it has something to do with their server and just connectivity so therefore it doesn't know which car is connected to your account. Since the fix seems to be to wait it out, it could just be that.

I would still create a service ticket so they can check your account and system.

Just happened to me the other day on 2022.40.2. Updated to 2022.44.2 now, not sure if that fixed it or if it was a one time fluke.. Nothing worked except the "Door popper" feature in the app, or the unlock icon in the app. Kind of scary, my son was in the back seat and I couldn't get in... I knew it would eventually let me in though. I've had another Tesla do this before years ago.

I had something similar happen to my wife (on 2022.40.8), but I do think that was more easily explained (but still good to document the issue).

She ran off to do some errands, and on her way to her first top the car complained about not having a key detected, and it would not start after it was turned off. I got an alert that the doors were unlocked (which is the only way I knew something was wrong). Sure enough her phone could do nothing (but she didn't try anything other than turning off/on bluetooth). She used her key card so no problem (yet didn't complain to me at all, so I was happily surprised by that.)

When she got home I tried to launch the app on her phone and right away it started to do an app update. So I guess the App just happened to kick off an update as she was pulling away from the house WiFi. Update got cancelled and phone key went dead. If she had tried to launch the app I'm sure it would have self resolved as well. Strange that this could happen though. What are the odds.

Same thing happened to us today. My husband went to the grocery store, and called me saying the car wouldn't go into drive without the card, which he didn't have, although it unlocked for him. I tried sending him remote access from the Tesla app, but he got the message that his phone was already approved for the car?

He restarted the app to no avail, so I had to drive out to him to get the car home. Very strange.

My phone failed to respond as a key 3 times this weekend; each time I rebooted my phone and the issue was resolved, so I thought it was problem with my phone not the vehicle. My phone’s (Samsung S22 Ultra) firmware updated some time last week.

If the batteries are not the issue, it is possible that there is a problem with the keyless entry system itself, in which case the vehicle may need to be taken to a Tesla service center for further diagnosis and repair. In the meantime, it may be possible to unlock and start the vehicle using the keypad on the driver's door.

Turns out one of our keycards is completely nonfunctional now... The other one works fine (???)

The keyfob was completely nonfunctional - none of the buttons worked or did anything. I removed it from the car, then readded it. Now it works, but went nonfunctional again within 24 hours. (again, what? The battery is fine)

My wife took my son to school this morning and wasn't able to open the rear doors to get him out of the car. She had to crawl through the back seat to open up the door manually. Also... the trunk would not open at all.

This car is possessed. I've scheduled a mobile service appointment for next Monday. Hopefully they can get this mess straight.

Just to bring some closure to this issue... we had 4 things going on.
1. The keycard had unpaired itself from the vehicle for no apparent reason. The technician repaired it and all is fine.
2. Our keyfob had completely gone bad. Dead. This was replaced free of charge and works fine now.
3. Driver unlock mode had gotten activated for my wife's profile. This explains not being able to open doors after parking.
4. General flakiness with my wife's phone. It's an older phone, so no huge surprise here.

So with 3 of the 4 issues sorted, we are back to a well-behaving vehicle with no real issues.

• Informative
Reactions: KerryOH
Our 2020 MY is sitting dead in our driveway. I was able to open it and sit in the driver's seat, but the car was dark and did not respond to any input. I could hear a faint "clunk, clunk, clunk" sound from the frunk area. After losing the door, it locked itself, but the driver's door window is still slightly low, as if in the door seal protection position. It's not responding to either of our two phones, our two key cards, or our fob. First time for this one!