Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on 24.2.7 with a '23 LR7 and I had retrofitted the oem module and a data cable and when I went to try and use my USB wireless game controllers today they were not recognized. I did not try a full reboot. I had to move my usb-c hub and add a usb-c_to_A adapter and then plug in my sentry USB to that in the glovebox.

Did anyone make a bug report or service request to Tesla about this issue?
Yea, my usb-c devices stopped working again. I had to use usb-a device via usb-c to usb-a adapter…however years ago if I did music playback via that setup, audio would skip too much for my tastes.

As for bug report & telling Tesla, our cars are not supposed to have data capable usb-c so we need to see if cars which are supposed to have the feature are affected.

On the good news, there is a chance our error logs are getting sent to Tesla and they fix it. In my alerts icon, I see an error about usb I/o error.

Coincidence, I got a led light strip for dash and it includes a glovebox usb hub so I use my USB-a stick in there now.

I have a Feb 2022 MYLR on 2024.2.7 which had the blue data cable disconnected but taped to the power cable.

I replaced the entire OEM panel that only had two USB-C power ports with the Carrkoopy panel from Amazon with two fast-charging USB-C ports (the 65W port charges my Surface Pro 7+) and 4 USB-A ports.

The USB-A ports have always worked with my music SD card and wireless dongle for my game controller. Sometimes I need to pull out the music drive and reinsert it after an update, but usually not.

I have a Feb 2022 MYLR on 2024.2.7 which had the blue data cable disconnected but taped to the power cable.

I replaced the entire OEM panel that only had two USB-C power ports with the Carrkoopy panel from Amazon with two fast-charging USB-C ports (the 65W port charges my Surface Pro 7+) and 4 USB-A ports.

The USB-A ports have always worked with my music SD card and wireless dongle for my game controller. Sometimes I need to pull out the music drive and reinsert it after an update, but usually not.
Try your usb-c ports for music playback etc if you have an extra usb-c storage device. My usb-c devices stopped working but if I use a usb-c to usb-a adapter so I can plug in a usb-a device in to the usb-c port, then it works.

If a gateway config update was the solution (today my usb-c stick is working after I reformatted it 3 times) to better stability when using usb-c devices in a retrofitted hardware 3 car built after 11/2021 , I’m pretty sure Tesla would only make the alteration if you had a Tesla OEM part. I have a Tesla OEM part that they installed so I’ll ask the service center via the Tesla app if there is a gateway config alteration needed.

If a gateway config update was the solution (today my usb-c stick is working after I reformatted it 3 times) to better stability when using usb-c devices in a retrofitted hardware 3 car built after 11/2021 , I’m pretty sure Tesla would only make the alteration if you had a Tesla OEM part. I have a Tesla OEM part that they installed so I’ll ask the service center via the Tesla app if there is a gateway config alteration needed.
Mobile service appointment made for next Tuesday. I asked if gateway configuration tweak is possible fix.Service center is 5 minutes away if I have to go in instead. Yeah my usb-c ports won’t detect a usb-c device again. Worked earlier in the day.

Try your usb-c ports for music playback etc if you have an extra usb-c storage device. My usb-c devices stopped working but if I use a usb-c to usb-a adapter so I can plug in a usb-a device in to the usb-c port, then it works.
I don’t have any USB-C storage devices, but I’m pretty sure that the 2 USB-C ports on the module I have are for charging only. The 4 USB-A ports are for data-only.

I don’t have any USB-C storage devices, but I’m pretty sure that the 2 USB-C ports on the module I have are for charging only. The 4 USB-A ports are for data-only.
Yea you have a different device than most of us. I have a Tesla OEM usb-c module which supports power and data. It has two usb-c ports which align with the original port positions in the car. tesla installed it in my car and it worked great for a long time until an updat in 3/2024. Most other people with retrofits have a clone of what I have sold by t-parts, abstract ocean, and other vendors.

Mobile service appointment made for next Tuesday. I asked if gateway configuration tweak is possible fix.Service center is 5 minutes away if I have to go in instead. Yeah my usb-c ports won’t detect a usb-c device again. Worked earlier in the day.
I cancelled the appointment. Tesla’s $320 estimate stated that they were going to replace the tesla OEM data/power capable usb-c module with the usb-c module which only supports power. Totally ignoring my message stating I had data capable module that they installed, same service center too. So there you have it.

I’m finding that my usb-c music stick is working if I have it plugged in before the car computer is rebooted and tends to be recognized for a few drives, maybe longer. Hopefully the occasional usb I/o alert I see in my screen will be detected and acted upon by software team.