Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or when they ran out of USB cables and sent employees to buy all of the cables available at the local Fry's Electronics. ;)
That claim was found to be unverifiable, and more digging found he made a narrower claim on 2013, so this likely was talking about the early days of Model S production, when Tesla was very much operating in startup mode (same deal with the industrial grade screens instead of automotive grade).

We probed Elon Musk's claim he bought every USB cable in the Bay Area

That claim was found to be unverifiable, and more digging found he made a narrower claim on 2013, so this likely was talking about the early days of Model S production, when Tesla was very much operating in startup mode (same deal with the industrial grade screens instead of automotive grade).

We probed Elon Musk's claim he bought every USB cable in the Bay Area
Seems legit. And I would not be surprised in the slightest if my January 2013 build Model S has USB cables from Fry's.

I doubt this is true, but I'm going to try it...

1643920117131.png

My neighbor's MY Long range has the same issue. He's Tesla was delivered on Jan 28 2022 and the center console USB ports don't support any data transmission function, the only port supports data transmission function is the port at glove box.

He recovered the data transmission function by applying a kinda data transmission module in his center console, basically he replaced the OEM one with a product made by a tesla accessories manufacturer TPARTS.

Here's the link for anyone want to recover the data functions.

Hope this help!

My neighbor's MY Long range has the same issue. He's Tesla was delivered on Jan 28 2022 and the center console USB ports don't support any data transmission function, the only port supports data transmission function is the port at glove box.

He recovered the data transmission function by applying a kinda data transmission module in his center console, basically he replaced the OEM one with a product made by a tesla accessories manufacturer TPARTS.

Hope this help!
Well I just ordered it ill let everyone know after it comes in. I'm sure it will be a while though

Reactions: tm1v2

Hope this help!
Thank you for this link. Much cheaper than the Abstract Ocean or Alibaba options.

I'm still holding out hope that Tesla will discover a solution. When the Frunk hooks on the Model 3 were removed, I raced out and foolishly purchased ebay hooks for $80. They were plentiful and cheap a few months later - learned my lesson.

The fact that the controller games have been withheld leads me to believe that something is in the works.

Reactions: WhiteWi
I'm still holding out hope that Tesla will discover a solution. When the Frunk hooks on the Model 3 were removed, I raced out and foolishly purchased ebay hooks for $80. They were plentiful and cheap a few months later - learned my lesson.

The fact that the controller games have been withheld leads me to believe that something is in the works.
I guess it depends on how long the supply chain issues will drag out. From Elon's talk and the delaying of the Cybertruck, it looks like Tesla is not optimistic about this year.

However, given there seems to be plenty of demand for it, the third party vendors seems to be picking up the ball in terms of offering alternative options, so I presume the prices of those may go down after a few months (or at least local warehouses may carry them, so you may save on shipping).

Couldn't a USB hub be placed in the glovebox and then cables run (somehow?) out and into the console area for data use, such as a music thumb drive? Don't know if sentry memory and USB data can be used simultaneously. Possible? Asking for a friend.

I'm almost certain they interpreted this to mean you are one of the people that had completely missing center console USB-C ports and completely missed the obvious reference to data.
Yep, you were right. I ended up texting the SA after my appointment request was approved, just to make sure that they understood what I was asking for. A very understanding SA called me back and confirmed that there is no current information about a retrofit for this removed feature. He has been surprised at the outrage of new owners not getting Sonic and Cuphead in their cars :D (in his day, cars were just for getting you from point A to point B). He did mention that they are getting A LOT of negative feedback on this issue and that the folks at Tesla do browse the forums and the Tesla community's commentary about their cars, so maybe someone will stumble upon these threads and we'll get some sort of solution. Maybe.

In the meantime, I think I am going to order the data transmission module from Tparts. It won't get me the missing games, but at least I'll have the functionality in a convenient location.

Hope this help!
I've tried several times and cannot place an order with Tparts today. Either my CC is declined (for no valid reason), I've tried to change my payment method too many times (due to the previous error), my postal code doesn't match, my name isn't spelled correctly (how do they even know?), or just 'error'. Tried clearing cookies and history, tried as a guest instead of logging in...anyone else having this issue?

I've tried several times and cannot place an order with Tparts today. Either my CC is declined (for no valid reason), I've tried to change my payment method too many times (due to the previous error), my postal code doesn't match, my name isn't spelled correctly (how do they even know?), or just 'error'. Tried clearing cookies and history, tried as a guest instead of logging in...anyone else having this issue?
I paid via PayPal and didn’t have any errors at the time. Did you try with PayPal?
I see the Intel version is on backorder now…