Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

Recently, we've been receiving customers' feedbacks saying the data module won't restore their data function at the console USB ports. We have found out that it is due to Tesla cut another data cable in the console area that connects the data module to the Tesla computer for all the Tesla Model3/Y delivered after 6/15/2022 (From customers feedback, might not be precise).

For this issue, we’ve manufactured that missing data cable to address the issue, and the shipment is on the way to our U.S warehouse.

For customers who got Tesla Model 3/Y delivery recently and purchased our console data transmission module, we’d like to offer two options for you,
  1. We will generate a return label for you to return the product and once we receive the return item, the full refund of the product will be issued to your original payment account.
  2. We will ship the missing data cable to your address and provide necessary installation instruction once we have the missing cable arrived our warehouse, and you can totally restore the data transmission function on your Tesla.
You may DM us or send email to [email protected] if you need further assistance.

Best,

TPARTS
What if we took delivery in 5/12/2022 are we good with the standard module?

What if we took delivery in 5/12/2022 are we good with the standard module?
Look and see if your car has a data cable. If cable exists you can use the TParts data module as is. I have the TParts data/power usb module, works great & love having the ability to have center USB ports which can play music or use game controllers (tesla, bring this feature back please). Watch TParts video to see how to remove cover

Currently, only Tesla Model 3/Y delivered in June have this issue from our customers' feedbacks, you may order the data module to test it out, and you may return it if it doesn't work.

Hope this answers your questions.

TPARTS

Will orders placed going forward will the additional cable be included, or will the module no longer restore data? Your post says cables on the way, but the way I read the note on the website I shouldn't order it. My VIN matched on June 19th, so am likely after the date when tesla started cutting the cable out.

"For Tesla delivered after 6/15/2022, due to Tesla cut another cable at center console, the data module will not be able to restore the data transmission function."

Chiming in here with a question. I just got the TParts module in, and verified that there is no power going to the micro USB line in my newer delivered M3LR (Picked up on 6/21, build date of 6/8).

I traced the micro USB line out to the passenger side console panel and it just ends. I think this is where TParts is talking about an additional cable is needed but I cant figure out if that is true or if so where the cable would plug into. I tried looking at the service manual and its a bit confusing as they don't show the entire wiring diagram in the context you would think they would (its an exploded view with cables just hovering around the console, so that doesn't help show where things plug in). Also the service manual just talks about replacing the module that TParts just sent, so that is the easy part. The hard part seems to be tracing down where this additional cable is needed.

Does anyone have any insight?

Here is a picture of the cable on the side of the console for reference:
DFE3F607-625A-437F-9A27-29890BF7B7D2.jpeg

Will orders placed going forward will the additional cable be included, or will the module no longer restore data? Your post says cables on the way, but the way I read the note on the website I shouldn't order it. My VIN matched on June 19th, so am likely after the date when tesla started cutting the cable out.

"For Tesla delivered after 6/15/2022, due to Tesla cut another cable at center console, the data module will not be able to restore the data transmission function."
Hi,

For your questions, the orders placed going forward will include the additional cable once the cable arrived our California warehouse. Currently, for all the orders placed without the missing cable, please DM us or send email to [email protected], we will provide the missing cable and necessary instruction to help you restore the data transmission function.

Hope this answered your questions.

TPARTS

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Chiming in here with a question. I just got the TParts module in, and verified that there is no power going to the micro USB line in my newer delivered M3LR (Picked up on 6/21, build date of 6/8).

I traced the micro USB line out to the passenger side console panel and it just ends. I think this is where TParts is talking about an additional cable is needed but I cant figure out if that is true or if so where the cable would plug into. I tried looking at the service manual and its a bit confusing as they don't show the entire wiring diagram in the context you would think they would (its an exploded view with cables just hovering around the console, so that doesn't help show where things plug in). Also the service manual just talks about replacing the module that TParts just sent, so that is the easy part. The hard part seems to be tracing down where this additional cable is needed.

Does anyone have any insight?

Here is a picture of the cable on the side of the console for reference:
View attachment 824475
Hi,

You are correct, Tesla cut the second piece located inside of the passenger side console area, and we have made that missing cable.

Currently, the shipment is on the way to our U.S. warehouse and for people who ordered our data module going forward, we will include the cable in your order. For customers who already had the data module and tested not work, we will provide the missing cable shortly with necessary installation instruction after we receive it.

Hope this answered your questions and feel free letting us know you need more assistance.

TPARTS

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Hi,

You are correct, Tesla cut the second piece located inside of the passenger side console area, and we have made that missing cable.

Currently, the shipment is on the way to our U.S. warehouse and for people who ordered our data module going forward, we will include the cable in your order. For customers who already had the data module and tested not work, we will provide the missing cable shortly with necessary installation instruction after we receive it.

Hope this answered your questions and feel free letting us know you need more assistance.

TPARTS
Is this going to be plug and play or is it going to require stripping wires/etc..?

I have been wanting to make this upgrade but have been hesitant because of the difficulty of removing the trim inside of the console. Would using a tool like these make it easier https://a.co/d/5vzdXzA?

Also abstract ocean has them back in stock is it the same exact part? https://abstractocean.com/products/usb-c-upgrade-module?utm_source=instock&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Back%20in%20Stock%3A%20Email%20%231%20%28Mafyyk%29&_kx=NTx5xZKCec1j_2q9QXDGlzNe_toPo4uyzrq8ESLJh7g%3D.JUNHEy
I am not certain that is needed. The silver piece in the picture is the tool that takes it out. It is a little difficult but once you get it its not bad.
The abstract ocean one appears to be a rebranded version. I personally went with the amazon listing one from TParts.

TParts has been amazing with communication on the issue with the cable not being there on the new cars and have one en-route to me right now. I have no worries once I receive and install the cable that things wont work.

Yes thank you. That's exactly what I was asking about.
I thought about using one drive and partitioning, but I wasn't sure if writing to the drive (dash cam) and reading from the same drive (music) at the same time would cause problems or not.

I have a 2021 build MYLR, and I have all the lovely data ports, thats a raw deal for new model year cars.
I have a 2022 MYLR. It was advertised as having 3 USB data ports when I ordered it, but when I got the car, it only had the glovebox data port. I was annoyed that they changed that, but honestly, it hasn't been a problem. My dashcam/sentry USB stick and my music SSD are connected to the glovebox port with a USB hub. If I had 2 more data ports in the center console, I really don't know what I'd use them for.

I have a 2022 MYLR. It was advertised as having 3 USB data ports when I ordered it, but when I got the car, it only had the glovebox data port. I was annoyed that they changed that, but honestly, it hasn't been a problem. My dashcam/sentry USB stick and my music SSD are connected to the glovebox port with a USB hub. If I had 2 more data ports in the center console, I really don't know what I'd use them for.
Video game controllers. My kids love pkaying the racing game against other family members and they like the airplane game (they still have not beaten the game).