Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:

I had mobile service out today to install my homelink. Usb c with no data was news to him. He opened up the console and found the standard usb c hub behind the ports. Per him, it is the same usb hub he's seen in other MYLR that he has worked on in the past that have data functionality. The wiring harness is attached in typical fashion. Per him, either software crippled the data or the cable that goes from the usb A in the glovebox is power only.

Called Support

Nice but couldn't really help. Acknowledged that having this functionality removed seems like a bad idea and using the usb a port in glovebox is awkward, but there is a portion of the sales agreement that essentially says (and I'm paraphrasing) "we may change things and you are simply out of luck." Thought the situation was bad, they would be mad themselves, but too bad so sad the end. Advised me to call my salesman. Emailed salesman. He emails back sorry not my problem, email support. Emailed support -- no response. Called service at local Tesla dealer. Very nice. Acknowledged functionality was removed aroud November 1 and there is no retrofit available. Stated that it is not the same hub as before. Hmm. Usb C data function remains for MX and MS. Sent me the holiday update again to see if it would push Sonic to me. Received update, reinstalled. No Sonic.

Bought a usb a hub. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ejected sentry usb thumb drive (Tesla issued). Placed sentry drive into hub. Placed a usb drive with music in hub. Placed a game controller with usb controller. Results: Sentry mode works fine. Usb appears in the entertainment section and sorts music by genre, artist, etc. Plays on mini player. Playback skips, but it may be the thumb drive. Will try with this to see if it works better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the game controller with standard usb plug works! This is despite not displaying any text in the game description that it is supported. Wasn't able to test two player mode but one player works. Tried most of the games and there is functionality. Mind you leaving the glovebox open with a hub and the cords dangling is inelegant.

So there you have it. It seems underhanded and rather silly to remove the center console usb data capability but we essentially have no recourse. Nor is sonic apparently available despite documentation that indicated otherwise.

Our best hope would be that a third party company begins selling a retrofit kit that allow the USB c ports in the console to be connected to the usb a port in the glovebox. Another approach could be attaching a wireless dongle to hub and to controller so the glovebox could be left closed. In the event anyone tries this or comes up with another solution I think we would all appreciate an update.

Update:

I had mobile service out today to install my homelink. Usb c with no data was news to him. He opened up the console and found the standard usb c hub behind the ports. Per him, it is the same usb hub he's seen in other MYLR that he has worked on in the past that have data functionality. The wiring harness is attached in typical fashion. Per him, either software crippled the data or the cable that goes from the usb A in the glovebox is power only.

Called Support

Nice but couldn't really help. Acknowledged that having this functionality removed seems like a bad idea and using the usb a port in glovebox is awkward, but there is a portion of the sales agreement that essentially says (and I'm paraphrasing) "we may change things and you are simply out of luck." Thought the situation was bad, they would be mad themselves, but too bad so sad the end. Advised me to call my salesman. Emailed salesman. He emails back sorry not my problem, email support. Emailed support -- no response. Called service at local Tesla dealer. Very nice. Acknowledged functionality was removed aroud November 1 and there is no retrofit available. Stated that it is not the same hub as before. Hmm. Usb C data function remains for MX and MS. Sent me the holiday update again to see if it would push Sonic to me. Received update, reinstalled. No Sonic.

Bought a usb a hub. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ejected sentry usb thumb drive (Tesla issued). Placed sentry drive into hub. Placed a usb drive with music in hub. Placed a game controller with usb controller. Results: Sentry mode works fine. Usb appears in the entertainment section and sorts music by genre, artist, etc. Plays on mini player. Playback skips, but it may be the thumb drive. Will try with this to see if it works better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the game controller with standard usb plug works! This is despite not displaying any text in the game description that it is supported. Wasn't able to test two player mode but one player works. Tried most of the games and there is functionality. Mind you leaving the glovebox open with a hub and the cords dangling is inelegant.

So there you have it. It seems underhanded and rather silly to remove the center console usb data capability but we essentially have no recourse. Nor is sonic apparently available despite documentation that indicated otherwise.

Our best hope would be that a third party company begins selling a retrofit kit that allow the USB c ports in the console to be connected to the usb a port in the glovebox. Another approach could be attaching a wireless dongle to hub and to controller so the glovebox could be left closed. In the event anyone tries this or comes up with another solution I think we would all appreciate an update.
Your write-up perfectly summarizes my findings as well. I opted for a 4-port USB 3.1 hub with USB-A ports. I have two 8bitdo wireless controllers and two 8bitdo Bluetooth to USB-A adapters. That gives plenty of space for two controllers, sentry/dash storage (microSD via USB-A adapter), and one available port just in case. The glovebox stays closed when gaming. Of course the good controller-only games are missing so it’s a failed $150 experiment right now…

Update:

Called Support

I'm seeing a variable on the car config for a hub that does not support data. As far as I can tell it seems like it's a hardware limitation,
Code:
{"accessId":133,"codeKey":"frontUsbHubType","content":{"enums":[{"codeKey":"USB_2","description":"USB2 hub","value":0},{"codeKey":"USB_NO_DATA","description":"USB power only hub with no data","value":4}]},"description":"Type of front console USB hub installed","products":["Lychee","Model3","ModelY","Tamarind"]}]

Update:

I have a 2022 MYLR that was born after November 1st. Had the same difficulties with usb c ports in console. No sonic On holiday update. Here is my tale…

Called Support

I'm not at all happy that my 2022 Model Y delivered on 12/6 has no data ports in the center console. They are power only. OK, I've been had. But I still love my Tesla which is why they get away with this crap! But at least they could offer a $100 or less upgrade to provide data ports in the center console! I didn't think I needed them until I discovered light show! Now to change programs I have to unlock the glove box to change out the USB drive. I also can't use game controllers, music drives, etc. without going to the glove box which has a PIN lock and a passenger I have to reach over!

If Tesla is going to remove a significant feature at least they should provide a way to add it back! Hopefully some 3rd party will find a way to bring data back to the console.

think my car have the same issue, built late November and it didn't get Sonic update. I tried the controller and it works on the USB-A glovebox, but don't have a USB-C adapter to test.

So Tesla updated the software to push new games out to only OLD models and not to vehicles built after Nov 2021? this makes no sense

Seems to be a known issue...guess its better than missing ports.

There needs to be more communication on this. New owners are unaware, wasting time trying to diagnose why the ports aren't working as they should. Not packaging the Sonic game on 2022 Y and 3 just shines a spotlight on the issue.

Did anyone who took delivery recently find a free USB drive in the glovebox? I did!
Tesla has been providing a 128GB USB thumb drive with new Model 3, Model Y since sometime Q3 or Q4 2020. The Tesla USB thimb drive is nice swag but you would be better served by replacing the Tesla USB with either a SSD drive such as a Samsung T7 or a USB reader with microSD card. If you use a microSD card make sure it is an Endurance type microSD card as these are designed for high volume read/write operations. Samsung Pro Endurance (128GB) or Sandisk (High Endurance 128GB or 256GB, Max Endurance 256GB for exceptional long life for use with video/surveillance applications.) Sandisk MobileMate USB reader works well.

Reactions: flstcgranucci
With Android, could you share out a drive/folder that contains music files and then via a USB data connection, mount that in the Tesla to play music? Curious if that would work. If so, that would be nice feature and usage for data enabled USB ports.