Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Essential functionality"? o_O I'm not sure how you think it is essential, maybe it is for you, but it certainly isn't for most people. (Or there would be a huge uproar about it being missing.) The only thing it could really be used for while driving is USB music, which I doubt many people use. (Unless I am missing some big use for it.)

It certainly isn't essential for me, I would likely never use it if it was there. (Maybe I would buy and hook up a gaming controller to try the games out once or twice, but probably not more than that. And rumor is the Bluetooth controller support is coming "soon", which I would prefer anyhow.)
Yea USB based music is highly desirable for those of us who do not like audio getting compressed again when it is streamed via Bluetooth (read about Bluetooth audio). For my most favorite tunes I don’t even put mp3 audio on my usb device. I use lossless flac audio format. With a sound system as awesome as the model Y’s, I think my usb based flac audio music sounds better than Bluetooth streamed audio.
The tesla manuals say not to use a bridge in the blue box although many red port to this or use a hack not mentioned my tesla and dual partition a usb device plugged in to glovebox’s usb-a port.
There are so many dissatisfied people that TParts saw an economic opportunity to fill the gap Tesla created by selling a replacement module.

"Essential functionality"? o_O I'm not sure how you think it is essential, maybe it is for you, but it certainly isn't for most people. (Or there would be a huge uproar about it being missing.) The only thing it could really be used for while driving is USB music, which I doubt many people use. (Unless I am missing some big use for it.)

It certainly isn't essential for me, I would likely never use it if it was there. (Maybe I would buy and hook up a gaming controller to try the games out once or twice, but probably not more than that. And rumor is the Bluetooth controller support is coming "soon", which I would prefer anyhow.)
When I wrote essential, I meant to me. I don't speak for others since there is no way to tell what is essential and what is not to each owner. You may have a different perspective.
I just completed a 3K Mile trip, as the only driver, and having over 20GB worth of music in FLAC format was essential!

When I wrote essential, I meant to me. I don't speak for others since there is no way to tell what is essential and what is not to each owner. You may have a different perspective.
I just completed a 3K Mile trip, as the only driver, and having over 20GB worth of music in FLAC format was essential!
True, it's essential for some people, but actually I think for USB music there are easy solutions like a hub in the glovebox, formatting the Usb device to have two partitions, or just getting a dual slot card reader (I have one currently). I actually don't like the center console usb positions that much, because due to how they put them, it impacts storage space and seems too easy to damage (especially with something like a usb stick) so not a good place to connect a device semi-permanently. I have data on mine from factory, but other than testing them out, I don't use them for data (only for occasional charging of devices).

The controller issue is the bigger one that is harder to work around (may need to find a wireless one or have a cable sticking out from glovebox) and it also means some games are currently not available for those without data.

True, it's essential for some people, but actually I think for USB music there are easy solutions like a hub in the glovebox, formatting the Usb device to have two partitions, or just getting a dual slot card reader (I have one currently). I actually don't like the center console usb positions that much, because due to how they put them, it impacts storage space and seems too easy to damage (especially with something like a usb stick) so not a good place to connect a device semi-permanently. I have data on mine from factory, but other than testing them out, I don't use them for data (only for occasional charging of devices).

The controller issue is the bigger one that is harder to work around (may need to find a wireless one or have a cable sticking out from glovebox) and it also means some games are currently not available for those without data.
You are right that the glovebox drive can be partitioned for DashCam and Music, or connect two separate USB devices via USN Hub. And, I totally forgot to mention the USB Controller issue.
I wanted to separate data traffic to/from MCU via two USB data channels rather than just the one in the glove box.
As far as the center console storage, one can use a 90-degree USB-C cable to plug in a USB SSD drive and use double-sided tape to affix it to the USB panel.

You are right that the glovebox drive can be partitioned for DashCam and Music, or connect two separate USB devices via USN Hub. And, I totally forgot to mention the USB Controller issue.
I wanted to separate data traffic to/from MCU via two USB data channels rather than just the one in the glove box.
As far as the center console storage, one can use a 90-degree USB-C cable to plug in a USB SSD drive and use double-sided tape to affix it to the USB panel.
I actually bought these 90 degree adapters, but they still stick out enough I don't feel comfortable leaving them permanently attached. So for now I only plug in the cable as necessary.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CDGHQWF/?th=1

Reactions: charlesoris
I got my console data module today and installed it in about 1/2 hour. The USB cable is just long enough to extend from the center console, along the right side of the console and under the passenger side dash to the USB computer. Now to get a drive large enough to load all my flac files on.
Concur. On my MYP built 7/2022, the connection at 11:52 of the video above is not even there. I just had to run the cable from the new module as you stated.

I installed the TParts today on my early 2022 Model 3 and attempted to test it with an Xbox controller that works via the glovebox USB but doesn't seem to work from the center console (with SkyForce). I do get power to the USB if I connect my iPhone to it (though I haven't actually tried any data transfers/reading other than the test with the game controller.) From reading the thread, game support for the remaining games should work, is that correct?

I installed the TParts today on my early 2022 Model 3 and attempted to test it with an Xbox controller that works via the glovebox USB but doesn't seem to work from the center console (with SkyForce). I do get power to the USB if I connect my iPhone to it (though I haven't actually tried any data transfers/reading other than the test with the game controller.) From reading the thread, game support for the remaining games should work, is that correct?
Yup. Sky force works for me using game controllers via tparts’s module.

All, I installed the TParts module yesterday and it works with my xbox controller for Stardew Valley. I bought the model 3 in February and it has never had cuphead or Sonic or any other the other games that require a controller. Is there anything I can do to have these games show up?

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Hi,

Here's a very comprehensive explanation and instruction video made with one of our amazing customers on how to install the Data Module and the data cable on your Tesla Model 3/Y.

Hope this will help on your installation.

TPARTS

The grey USB connector cable that most videos show taped to the power cable is completely MISSING on my late July / 22 built MYP. Not sure what to do at this point and the micro USB extension provided by tparts is not long enough (and not sure how to route it through the console to reach the data transmission module.

The grey USB connector cable that most videos show taped to the power cable is completely MISSING on my late July / 22 built MYP. Not sure what to do at this point and the micro USB extension provided by tparts is not long enough (and not sure how to route it through the console to reach the data transmission module.

My car is the same and mine is a late June 2022 build. However, the cable is long enough. I had Chris from @TPARTS help me with threading it through the side of the center console.

Reactions: TESPLUS
My model Y is a July 2022 model and although I don't have the data module, I do have the cable running from the MCU all the way to behind the USB C ports - Was surprised to find it as most comments suggest they stopped using the cable in June..... Mine is UK Spec, LHD, China built so not sure if that's why..

Chris from @TPARTS said (if I remember it correctly) those built in China had this issue earlier in 2022 but the cable has since been added back. That tells me after this whole supply chain disruption is resolved the module with data capability might just magically re-appear even for the U.S. built units.

Just installed my Tparts USB module and hub. Now I can game with Xbox cloud.

I still wish we can get sonic... I guess another 2 weeks.

Tparts USB module
Tparts USB Hub
Mayflash Magic Mini
Xbox X controller

PXL_20220819_184824966.MP.jpg
PXL_20220819_184956700.MP.jpg

Just installed my Tparts USB module and hub. Now I can game with Xbox cloud.

I still wish we can get sonic... I guess another 2 weeks.

Tparts USB module
Tparts USB Hub
Mayflash Magic Mini
Xbox X controller

View attachment 842810

I think you should replace the A and B buttons with a 3 and an S button, and have the whole lineup represented. ;)

I wanted to share that I was able to obtain the Tesla OEM factory USB data port part that was mentioned up thread (p/n 1755200-00-B). Took about a week to obtain from Tesla when the service center ordered from Fremont. I was surprised when it was only $34 plus tax. I currently have it installed with the Tparts USB hub and haven't had any issues yet. Late May 2022 build, still had the factory wiring in place.

My intention of this post is not to undercut Tparts or AO or any other supplier by any means (I own a number of items from Tparts and love them!) but just to mention an alternative for those that might be interested in the factory OEM replacement. I have no idea what the availability may be on this item since it is not the current part listed in the parts catalog but when I gave them the p/n, they pulled it up and said it was orderable. YMMV but here are some pics of that part for those that may be interested.

Attachments

• 20220708_193249.jpg
    20220708_193249.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 154
  • 20220708_193256.jpg
    20220708_193256.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 144