Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the info. I got this working today. Initially, I hadn't shaved enough of the material and the connectors were not fully seated but after going back and assuring they were fully seated, all works! The only issue I am experiencing is that, when using as a dashcam, I get a warning saying to plug it into the glovebox port for higher speed. Not a big deal as that's normally how I plan to use it, and just use the console ports for music and games. However, out of curiosity, are you able to get full speed dashcam from the center console?
This isn’t possible since the connectors are USB2 whereas the glovebox port is 3.0. I use it for lower speed applications like controllers and music data.

• Informative
Reactions: GlmnAlyAirCar
I'm in San Diego this weekend so I thought I would try my luck at another SC. Walked in and they brought me back into the service bay to the parts dept. Very different from the other SC I went to. Told the parts service rep the part I wanted (1755200-00-B), he didn't have it but had another version. It looked just like the one I wanted. 2 USB-C, power connector and mini USB for data (this is the one in the photo below). I asked if I could buy it and he tried to process it but it wouldn't let him because it was only for Model S and I have a Model 3. He said if I knew anyone with a Model S he could use their VIN to buy it on. Unfortunately I don't. He then looked up on the computer few other hubs but each of them looked different and must have been older versions. 1 had 2x USB-A ports and different style power connector, another had 1 USB-C and 1 USB-A. Very odd.

I ended up not buying anything. I'm going to try my luck at another SC in Los Angeles where I live. He did mention he could order 1755200-00-B for me but it would take 2 weeks.
Rarely do the SC have this part in stock. Procedure is request to order the part via the app. I think i used the “other” type of service request and typed a message asked for the part number I wanted (1755200-00-B). Tesla will let you know when it arrives. I ordered mine in this manner and picked it up at Burbank, California SC after about 2 weeks. Did this about 6 months ago. Still have not used it, just keeping it as backup in case my TParts usb-c data module breaks ever. Since my 2022 was early build (12/2021), it had a data cable which was Plugged in to mcu.

Rarely do the SC have this part in stock. Procedure is request to order the part via the app. I think i used the “other” type of service request and typed a message asked for the part number I wanted (1755200-00-B). Tesla will let you know when it arrives. I ordered mine in this manner and picked it up at Burbank, California SC after about 2 weeks. Did this about 6 months ago. Still have not used it, just keeping it as backup in case my TParts usb-c data module breaks ever. Since my 2022 was early build (12/2021), it had a data cable which was Plugged in to mcu.
That’s what I attempted to do. I put in an “other” service request and they said it’s not an over the counter part.

That’s what I attempted to do. I put in an “other” service request and they said it’s not an over the counter part.
You might have to go the third party route. I've been using a T-Parts data usb module since about 2/2022 , no issues. I play games, I listen to usb based music. It powered my Tesla Android Raspberry Pi system & played music simultaneously. What is nice about third party route is that they give you a pry tool and now looks like it includes a data cable according to the picture. Abstract Ocean has a similar product.

Reactions: howardnj
I ran into the same problem with my local service center, so I attempted another SC. In the meantime, I found someone online here who had a spare and bought it off him. Shortly after, the other SC (West Chester, PA) came back with a quote for the part and I bought the spare off him in case I had problems with the first.

Long story short, I installed the original one, which works great, and now I have a second one, brand new. I'd be willing to let it go if you're interested.

I ran into the same problem with my local service center, so I attempted another SC. In the meantime, I found someone online here who had a spare and bought it off him. Shortly after, the other SC (West Chester, PA) came back with a quote for the part and I bought the spare off him in case I had problems with the first.

Long story short, I installed the original one, which works great, and now I have a second one, brand new. I'd be willing to let it go if you're interested.
Yes, I will message you. Thanks!

So, this might be a little off-topic, but now I am hooking up a game controller (in this case an x-box controller) to test out my newly established data connection. However, I am discovering that there are no games on my arcade that use a gaming controller. On my prior 2021 Model Y, there were several, including Sonic.

While I know sonic has been pulled, I’m sure there must be other games that can use a controller. However I don’t seem to have any in my 2023 Y.

Any thoughts?

So, this might be a little off-topic, but now I am hooking up a game controller (in this case an x-box controller) to test out my newly established data connection. However, I am discovering that there are no games on my arcade that use a gaming controller. On my prior 2021 Model Y, there were several, including Sonic.

While I know sonic has been pulled, I’m sure there must be other games that can use a controller. However I don’t seem to have any in my 2023 Y.

Any thoughts?
Try cuphead, the racing game ( I play against my kids using two controllers), the airplane game (I play simultaneously with my kids using two controllers. I have 2022 model Y & TParts usb-c data module.

Try cuphead, the racing game ( I play against my kids using two controllers), the airplane game (I play simultaneously with my kids using two controllers. I have 2022 model Y & TParts usb-c data module.
Apparently I am a complete moron. I didn’t bother to check that the micro-USB cable I used to connect the x-box controller was power-only. I got the correct cable and now all works fine.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Data Retrofit Complete! It still works on an F546 MY.

Parts:
$34 - Data Module: 1755200-00-B
$15 - Data Cable (18 Inches or So, Data Box -> Lower Center Console): 1100827-00-C
$8.95 - 6ft CablesOnline USB 2.0 Mini-B 5-Pin to Mini-B 5-Pin Male/Male Cable, USB2-5506 (Replaces 1521277-00-A, Lower Console -> MCU cable).
$57.95 - Total

Doing this route adds the benefit of using an OEM module and is quite a bit cheaper than 3rd party solutions but comes with some cons that you need to decide if they are worth the savings. You need to trim the sheathing on the USB connectors; they won't fit into the USCAR connectors out of the box.

View attachment 856533

I did some extensive research but could not find an appropriate cable that would be plug-and-play, so this cable was the best situation. I did find a Molex-created USCAR mini USB male-to-male connector. IF you are willing to splice this cable to extend it to about 5 feet, it may work! I don't know if these are the appropriate connectors as it appears they can be the correct type of connectors, just mirrored in the incorrect way.

One benefit of using this cable over a USB gender changer is limiting the possibility of a connector becoming unplugged while driving.

You also do not get a trim remover for the center console, so getting the center console trim piece with the databox off is a bit more challenging. You can find different tools to get this piece out; I used a thin pry tool to get the trim remover that came with an old dashcam to get this piece off. You will also need a Torx 20 bit to remove the databox from this piece.

View attachment 856550

Installation was easy, I could route the OEM USCAR cable reasonably easily, but I couldn't find an easy way to use the included clips on the cable to route it the intended OEM route. You may be able to accomplish this by removing the center console, but unfortunately, I am feeling lazy lol.

View attachment 856535View attachment 856537

Routing the male-to-male USB cable was easy. It's pretty spacious down there!

Forward Console
View attachment 856538

Footwell
View attachment 856539

Connector area towards MCU in the footwell
View attachment 856541

Final Product
View attachment 856547
View attachment 856548
View attachment 856549

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to help!
Hello and thanks for this information. I'm going to be swapping g out a Gen 1 center console for the Gen 2 and understand that I'll lose the Data on the new console. My question is, did you order all parts from Tesla direct? I found that module on Amazon, but if it's the same price or cheaper, might as well go the the source.

Also, since the data con action on the old Y used to go to the console, do you think I need to go back to the dash or connect where the original one is underneath? (Granted I understand if you don't know this one).

Thank you again and thanks in advance for your response.

Hello and thanks for this information. I'm going to be swapping g out a Gen 1 center console for the Gen 2 and understand that I'll lose the Data on the new console. My question is, did you order all parts from Tesla direct? I found that module on Amazon, but if it's the same price or cheaper, might as well go the the source.

Also, since the data con action on the old Y used to go to the console, do you think I need to go back to the dash or connect where the original one is underneath? (Granted I understand if you don't know this one).

Thank you again and thanks in advance for your response.
I'm fairly sure that you can grab the old cabling from your Gen 1 console and use it in Gen 2. You'll need to get the upgrade center module, assuming you're getting the console from tesla direct and not from another parted-out car (a parted-out car may have a data-equipped module, best to check). If so, I'd go that route for ease of installation, as the USB should be the same spec between the two. The Gen 2 center console still uses USB 2 over Mini-B. The only part I did not order directly from Tesla was the 5-foot male-to-male USB cable (which your car currently has afaik) since it is part of a J-Harness which is bundled directly from the supplier and not a part you can specifically get from Tesla.

Reactions: Poncherelly
I'm fairly sure that you can grab the old cabling from your Gen 1 console and use it in Gen 2. You'll need to get the upgrade center module, assuming you're getting the console from tesla direct and not from another parted-out car (a parted-out car may have a data-equipped module, best to check). If so, I'd go that route for ease of installation, as the USB should be the same spec between the two. The Gen 2 center console still uses USB 2 over Mini-B. The only part I did not order directly from Tesla was the 5-foot male-to-male USB cable (which your car currently has afaik) since it is part of a J-Harness which is bundled directly from the supplier and not a part you can specifically get from Tesla.
Thanks for the reply. I'm getting quotes from Tesla for the part numbers you mentioned. Once they confirm the delivery times, I'll place an order for the 2.0 console, the data module and the data cable. Once all arrive, I'll see what I'm missing if anything and if needed, order additional parts.

Reading your reply, I'm thinking I might not need the data cable though as my 1.0 console has it ... I wonder if they'd take back unopened parts.

Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
I'm trying to install a data module off aliexpress and the instructions say to remove this cable from the MCU and replace with their cable going to the center console data module - anyone have any idea what I'm disconnecting as it's not being reconnected anywhere?
Screenshot_20230527-081744_Video Player~2.jpg

Gen 2 installed with ease and I used the gen 1 cable as expected. Love this replacement.

• Love
Reactions: WhiteOnWhiteMY
I'm trying to install a data module off aliexpress and the instructions say to remove this cable from the MCU and replace with their cable going to the center console data module - anyone have any idea what I'm disconnecting as it's not being reconnected anywhere?
View attachment 941517
My guess would be it's disconnecting the USB found in the glove box. But I think you have a newer car than mine and can't verify this.

View attachment 941517
You plug in the data cable where you have your finger, remove the side panel on the passenger side of the center console, and feed the data cable into the center console and plug the other end of the data cable from the MCU into the data module.

Attachments

• Tesla Data Module Cable IMG_9225.JPG
    Tesla Data Module Cable IMG_9225.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 52
  • Tesla Data Module MCU IMG_9226.JPG
    Tesla Data Module MCU IMG_9226.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 60
  • Tesla Data Module IMG_9224.JPG
    Tesla Data Module IMG_9224.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
My guess would be it's disconnecting the USB found in the glove box. But I think you have a newer car than mine and can't verify this.

Thanks, that's what I'm worried about, guess I'll have to test and see. 🤷‍♂️

You plug in the data cable where you have your finger, remove the side panel on the passenger side of the center console, and feed the data cable into the center console and plug the other end of the data cable from the MCU into the data module.

Not my finger but a finger from the instruction video, but thanks. :)

My issue isn't plugging in the new cable and routing it to the center console, it's the old cable that's already plugged into the MCU port and understanding what I'm disconnecting when I take it out. The original center console wiring harness does not have the data cable for the USB ports, only power, so the original cable is not going there. I tried to contact the seller on aliexpress but either they don't know what the original cable is for or the language barrier is too big, they just keep telling me to disconnect the cable. 👀

Guess I'll disconnect it from the MCU and if it's not the glovebox USB socket the fun times of trying to find out what I've disconnected will start.

Thanks, that's what I'm worried about, guess I'll have to test and see. 🤷‍♂️

Not my finger but a finger from the instruction video, but thanks. :)

My issue isn't plugging in the new cable and routing it to the center console, it's the old cable that's already plugged into the MCU port and understanding what I'm disconnecting when I take it out. The original center console wiring harness does not have the data cable for the USB ports, only power, so the original cable is not going there. I tried to contact the seller on aliexpress but either they don't know what the original cable is for or the language barrier is too big, they just keep telling me to disconnect the cable. 👀

Guess I'll disconnect it from the MCU and if it's not the glovebox USB socket the fun times of trying to find out what I've disconnected will start.
The glovebox usb is USB 3 and is an incompatible connector afaik. There shouldn’t be any cord in the spot you are connecting. When was your car produced? I’d honestly lean closer to garbage instructions than anything else.

The glovebox usb is USB 3 and is an incompatible connector afaik. There shouldn’t be any cord in the spot you are connecting. When was your car produced? I’d honestly lean closer to garbage instructions than anything else.

Unfortunately there is a cable already plugged into the socket, if there wasn't I would have just plugged the new cable in when I first tried the install with no separate instructions. :) In hindsight I should have disconnected it and checked the glovebox USB function then and there.

Produced 2023 in Berlin.