Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to read the manual - online version using my browser on my PC - and the page that would cover this comes up BLANK. I wonder if they took it down because it is not correct for recent and new 2022 Model Y, as has been discussed here.
Still there, on page 20:

USB Ports

Model Y has two USB ports located in the front
compartment of the center console. These ports can be
used to:
• Connect and charge USB devices.
• Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see
Playing Media from Devices on page 137).
• Save videos when using features such as Sentry
Mode or Dashcam (see Dashcam and Sentry Mode on
page 144).

NOTE: If your Model Y is equipped with a USB port
located in the glove box (described below), it is
recommended that you use the glovebox USB to save
Sentry Mode or Dashcam videos because power
consumption is minimized and the location is more
secure.

Both ports are USB-C compatible.

Open the front compartment of the center console. The
front USB ports are located on the rear wall of the
compartment.

Two additional USB ports are located in the rear of the
center console (on vehicles manufactured since
approximately June 2020, these ports are USB-C). These
ports charge USB-connected devices but do not
communicate with the vehicle.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

I opened one as well. Sorry but this doesn’t make any sense. There should be a fix for this. Or at least be way clear once you receive you car. You having to turn off sentry every time you need to plug a Controler or a USB stick sucks.

Reactions: ClaytonW
I opened one as well. Sorry but this doesn’t make any sense. There should be a fix for this. Or at least be way clear once you receive you car. You having to turn off sentry every time you need to plug a Controler or a USB stick sucks.
A basic 4-port USB hub, such as this one, will extend the utility of the USB port located in the glove box.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/

Reactions: Kenn014
looks like new 2022 Y (and I'm assuming 3 from other posts) have the usb c ports in the center console as power only -- no data. Therefore they are not available for gaming or music. A usb hub in the glovebox is the remedy, although awkward for gaming. I have a mobile service appt tomorrow to hopefully address. If it a supply chain issue and can be restored then a hassle but not terrible. If this is the new normal it is not OK.

Reactions: Kenn014
Might be time to check junkyards for totaled M3/MY and salvage the missing USB parts???
looks like new 2022 Y (and I'm assuming 3 from other posts) have the usb c ports in the center console as power only -- no data. Therefore they are not available for gaming or music. A usb hub in the glovebox is the remedy, although awkward for gaming. I have a mobile service appt tomorrow to hopefully address. If it a supply chain issue and can be restored then a hassle but not terrible. If this is the new normal it is not OK.
I just finished arguing with my service Center in the app…they say that the USB ports being power only is accurate and you have to use the glovebox USB port for data. If wireless controllers worked properly to connect via Bluetooth, this would be passably acceptable…but having to stuff a music drive, a controller dongle, a USB hub and a dash cam USB stick in the glove box is not a viable solution. It’s nuts that they can pull this crap on consumers. In my case, the games that require a gamepad aren’t even installed! No Sonic or Cuphead or anything, just Sky Force, Atari games and touch screen games. Can you tell I’m peeved here…

I just finished arguing with my service Center in the app…they say that the USB ports being power only is accurate and you have to use the glovebox USB port for data. If wireless controllers worked properly to connect via Bluetooth, this would be passably acceptable…but having to stuff a music drive, a controller dongle, a USB hub and a dash cam USB stick in the glove box is not a viable solution. It’s nuts that they can pull this crap on consumers. In my case, the games that require a gamepad aren’t even installed! No Sonic or Cuphead or anything, just Sky Force, Atari games and touch screen games. Can you tell I’m peeved here…
so, to play games...the sentry USB stick must be removed to connect the controller and, the glovebox must remain open while gaming. Although possible, this cant be the solution....Something is missing here....oversight?? myabe 2022 cars were suppose to come with wireless controller but supply chain constraints???

Do you need to connect to the USB-A if you want to play music through your phone as well? I know we can connect the phones using Bluetooth but I want to know my limitations if my wife connects her phone in my car.

I'm assuming yes if everyone is saying the USB-C do not communicate with the infotainment screen.

See my Post #29.
Using a usb hub inside the glove box isn’t a very elegant solution. It’s a workaround…but filling the glove box with dongles, adapters and thumb drives is absurd when there’s 4 unused (mostly useless) USB ports elsewhere in the car. Why even bother with those other ports? Is there a large population of people charging 2 phones and 4 other things at the same time, that doesn’t need data in any of those ports?

Just a silly cost-cutting and/or supply chain issue. I’d be fine with it if they said they’ll retrofit proper USB ports when parts are available. Deciding to not install any data-capable USB ports into cars people ordered 6 months ago expecting proper USB ports is not a good or fair business practice. “Surprise! No data ports for you!”

A USB hub is a work around. The 2018 to 2020 Model 3, early Model Y only have 1 USB-A data port and people managed. You can use a hub now while waiting to see if Tesla will address the issue.

It makes no sense to routinely turn off Dashcam and Sentry mode to remove the USB thumb drive just to plug in a music storage device or a game controller.

This is a reply I received from Tesla: "I wanted to let you know that we reviewed your concern. As of November 18th of this year we no longer install the USB C ports that allow data in the front of the vehicle. They are only intended to charge a device. At this time we will be canceling your appointment since there are no repairs for us to perform."
A USB hub in a glovebox is not a permanent solution. It's just a temporary fix :-(

This is a reply I received from Tesla: "I wanted to let you know that we reviewed your concern. As of November 18th of this year we no longer install the USB C ports that allow data in the front of the vehicle. They are only intended to charge a device. At this time we will be canceling your appointment since there are no repairs for us to perform."
A USB hub in a glovebox is not a permanent solution. It's just a temporary fix :-(
Time to twitter to Elon “Did you really take away usb c data ports in the 2022 MYLR? Will this be corrected?”

Reactions: K1Woods