Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry. Tesla support explicitly told me that it’s not supported or recommended. If your screen is crashing, cpu overload, stop using your hub.
I suppose the next level of workaround is to partition a drive into three: sentry (TeslaCam), Music, and Boombox. Then unmount to use gaming device.

pretty pathetic.
You don't need a hub to play music or boombox...just partition the extant drive.

What the US manual states is not to use a powered USB device such as a powered hub in the front console of the Tesla Model Y. This may interfere with the tire pressure monitoring system. I have been using a basic non-powered USB hub for months with no issue.
FYI what the on-line manual actually says is "Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player, Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc." I think that covers powered and non-powered hubs! I am REAL frustrated with this down grade of connectivity. I wish there was a valid reason other than mfg. cost or supply shortages! I doubt that there is.
BTW - I know a non-powered hub will work but I have to unplug the Sentry USB and plug it back in to get it to recognize the other USB on the hub.

Reactions: rbcopod
I want to try this
But am not sure if there is an orphaned data cable in the console waiting for this opportunity.

Interested in your thoughts stopcrazypp.
The problem is even this hub provides data, you still don't get the games require controller. It flagged at the mothership.

FYI what the on-line manual actually says is "Do not connect multiple devices using a USB hub. This can prevent connected devices from charging or from being recognized by Media Player, Sentry Mode, Dashcam, etc." I think that covers powered and non-powered hubs! I am REAL frustrated with this down grade of connectivity. I wish there was a valid reason other than mfg. cost or supply shortages! I doubt that there is.
BTW - I know a non-powered hub will work but I have to unplug the Sentry USB and plug it back in to get it to recognize the other USB on the hub.
The manual has been revised. The 2020 Model Y Owner's Manual did not have this caveat.

I just sold my Oct 2020 Performance Model Y in Nov 2021 (made a $2800 profit), turned around and bought the exact same Model Y again, same color and everything. Took delivery in last week. And in the process the car has about a dozen small improvements added in the last year, center console, side mirrors, including a bit more range etc.

I can also confirm the USB-C (no data) port issue now.

BUT... Let me dare to test and comfirm this Hub issue rbcopod mentioned above.
I just plugged in tonight this hub I've been using since our 2018 Model 3, which I highly recommend for the older Teslas.

We'll see how it goes over the next week or so. 🤞
If it fails, I'll partition the drive.

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 452
Reactions: SWIPE and tm1v2
Update:

I had mobile service out today to install my homelink. Usb c with no data was news to him. He opened up the console and found the standard usb c hub behind the ports. Per him, it is the same usb hub he's seen in other MYLR that he has worked on in the past that have data functionality. The wiring harness is attached in typical fashion. Per him, either software crippled the data or the cable that goes from the usb A in the glovebox is power only.

Called Support

Nice but couldn't really help. Acknowledged that having this functionality removed seems like a bad idea and using the usb a port in glovebox is awkward, but there is a portion of the sales agreement that essentially says (and I'm paraphrasing) "we may change things and you are simply out of luck." Thought the situation was bad, they would be mad themselves, but too bad so sad the end. Advised me to call my salesman. Emailed salesman. He emails back sorry not my problem, email support. Emailed support -- no response. Called service at local Tesla dealer. Very nice. Acknowledged functionality was removed aroud November 1 and there is no retrofit available. Stated that it is not the same hub as before. Hmm. Usb C data function remains for MX and MS. Sent me the holiday update again to see if it would push Sonic to me. Received update, reinstalled. No Sonic.

Bought a usb a hub. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FH7XJCD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ejected sentry usb thumb drive (Tesla issued). Placed sentry drive into hub. Placed a usb drive with music in hub. Placed a game controller with usb controller. Results: Sentry mode works fine. Usb appears in the entertainment section and sorts music by genre, artist, etc. Plays on mini player. Playback skips, but it may be the thumb drive. Will try with this to see if it works better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B984HJ5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the game controller with standard usb plug works! This is despite not displaying any text in the game description that it is supported. Wasn't able to test two player mode but one player works. Tried most of the games and there is functionality. Mind you leaving the glovebox open with a hub and the cords dangling is inelegant.

So there you have it. It seems underhanded and rather silly to remove the center console usb data capability but we essentially have no recourse. Nor is sonic apparently available despite documentation that indicated otherwise.

Our best hope would be that a third party company begins selling a retrofit kit that allow the USB c ports in the console to be connected to the usb a port in the glovebox. Another approach could be attaching a wireless dongle to hub and to controller so the glovebox could be left closed. In the event anyone tries this or comes up with another solution I think we would all appreciate an update.
Thanks for sharing but Tesla is turning into a car that keeps on sucking money on accessories. The ICE car sucked money on gas and maintenance by comparison. Assured to take away data capability!!

One more update… I just bought the homelink, received and scheduled an install appointment. Since my car didn’t come with the front center console hub I scheduled that too as part of this appointment.

The service center reached out today saying the car is NOT compatible with Huns that support “data” on those ports.

I called him/her out in the chat that it’s BS excuse and that they need to be transparent about it. That I’m happy to wait vs. getting fed lies or misinformation.

This is the second time Tesla employees have misinformed and lied. The first was at car pickup when I asked the SA helping with delivery of the car came with front USB ports installed and the answer was a confident yes!!!!!

I attribute all these employee behaviors to lack of training on communication and how to respond to customer questions when they don’t have an answer. I believe what Tesla is failing to realize is that the buyer of their cars are not illiterate and have mental faculty that can think!!! They are educated and informed!!!!!!

Hate to be treated like dumb fks on top of shelling out large sums of money!!

Maybe a better brand USB hub would work?

Amazon sells some ridiculously sketchy devices sometimes (probably has some serious power draw fluctuations)

I've got a Sept 21 M3LR and haven't test the gaming capabilities yet but probably fine -- however I also need to chime in that the chip shortage is insane and Tesla is doing it's best to manage it, if you feel that you got swindled or got the bait n switch then please sell your car immediately, you can turn a profit at the same time.

Reactions: SCW-Greg
I have this issue too. I really don’t care about USB for music because I just stream from my phone. I just want controller support.

In the end, I imagine Tesla will enable USB controllers and call it a day. I wish they’d offer retrofitting after the fact, but it almost seems like they’re deliberately not acknowledging the issue. I expect nothing to happen at this point. Very disappointing.

Maybe a better brand USB hub would work?

Amazon sells some ridiculously sketchy devices sometimes (probably has some serious power draw fluctuations)

I've got a Sept 21 M3LR and haven't test the gaming capabilities yet but probably fine -- however I also need to chime in that the chip shortage is insane and Tesla is doing it's best to manage it, if you feel that you got swindled or got the bait n switch then please sell your car immediately, you can turn a profit at the same time.
I think this might be the issue (hub quality). I got to thinking after making my post last night... I've been using this hub for the last 3 years, music, Dash Cam, and occasionally with a controller for gaming -- all on one port. Never had an issue. If anything today's MCU should be a better more powerful/efficient version than our previous 2018 Model 3. So for me, time will tell if Tesla is cutting corners in this area.

I don't know; maybe if the data chip update could be easily removed in case of issues. Tesla would almost deny any warranty claims if any factory component is damaged.
I am asking for your help, Jcanoe , or advice from any others on the forum...

I have a '22 MYLR with the neutered center console ports.

To remedy this and have usb music, sentry and gaming I tried the following:

unpowered USB 4 port hub
BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black)
attached to USB A port with:
1. Tesla issued usb thumb drive for sentry
2. micro sd drive with music
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card/TF Card Reader Adapter
3. empty.
4. empty.

This crashed the cpu 6 minutes black screen while driving. Restarted with brake pedal plus both buttons on steering wheel x 20 seconds.

Next try...

USB A port with micro sd drive partitioned to TeslaCam and Music
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card/TF Card Reader Adapter
This worked except the Tesla Cam unmounts when I am away and needs to be removed and reinserted to become functional. Doesn't save any sentry events.

Next try...

USB hub with on/off power to each port
USB 3.0 Hub Splitter - USB Extender 4 Port USB Ultra Slim Data Hub with Individual Power Switch and LED
3. Power off
4. Power off
Once again, this worked except the Tesla Cam unmounts when I am away and needs to be removed and reinserted to become functional. Doesn't save any sentry events.

I bought this
wireless-gamepad from Abstract Ocean and it works great wirelessly from USB a hub directly or through either usb hub. Obviously still no Sonic or Cuphead but it works super well with no lag and with glovebox closed.

Can anyone suggest a way to have the sentry cam remain operational using a hub? or Anyone with a suggestion of another permutation I can try? Anyone got this working?

Thanks

I don't have any experience with the Rocket card reader. I use the Sandisk MobileMate reader with the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card (formatted as FAT32 in my 2020 LRMY.)

I have been using the MobileMate reader with the Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance card with no issues for 18 months. It has been six months since I add the BYEASY unpowered USB hub and a USB thumb drive (also formatted as FAT32) for MP3 music. These are connected to the USB data port beneath the wireless charging pad (my 2020 LRMY has the original console and there is no USB port inside the glove box.)

What happens if you just use the Rocket card reader and the Pro Endurance card (only 1 partition). Does the USB data drive with the /TeslaCam folder remain mounted after you park?

With the Atolla hub connected to my Windows laptop I can mount/remount a USB device by turning on the switch for that port.

Last edited:
The manual has been revised. The 2020 Model Y Owner's Manual did not have this caveat.
Yes, but the 2020's had data ports in the center console. For 2022 they deleted all console data ports AND they added the instruction not to use a HUB in the ONLY port they did provide!
I am asking for your help, Jcanoe , or advice from any others on the forum...

I have a '22 MYLR with the neutered center console ports.

To remedy this and have usb music, sentry and gaming I tried the following:

unpowered USB 4 port hub
BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black)
attached to USB A port with:
3. empty.
4. empty.

This crashed the cpu 6 minutes black screen while driving. Restarted with brake pedal plus both buttons on steering wheel x 20 seconds.

Next try...

USB A port with micro sd drive partitioned to TeslaCam and Music
This worked except the Tesla Cam unmounts when I am away and needs to be removed and reinserted to become functional. Doesn't save any sentry events.

Next try...

USB hub with on/off power to each port
USB 3.0 Hub Splitter - USB Extender 4 Port USB Ultra Slim Data Hub with Individual Power Switch and LED
3. Power off
4. Power off
Once again, this worked except the Tesla Cam unmounts when I am away and needs to be removed and reinserted to become functional. Doesn't save any sentry events.

I bought this
wireless-gamepad from Abstract Ocean and it works great wirelessly from USB a hub directly or through either usb hub. Obviously still no Sonic or Cuphead but it works super well with no lag and with glovebox closed.

Can anyone suggest a way to have the sentry cam remain operational using a hub? or Anyone with a suggestion of another permutation I can try? Anyone got this working?

Thanks
I have given up. Tesla has either intentionally or by software DEFECT prevented us from safely using more than one USB user device in their new cars. Maybe it is a system limitation or a diabolical plot but if you want to use USB music, you can't safely have Sentry or Dashcam because only one devise or partition can be handled by the singular access port at any time. Want to use a USB controller? Unplug everything else. It's simple, but it is so 1990's.

I don't have any experience with the Rocket card reader. I use the Sandisk MobileMate reader with the Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB microSD card (formatted as FAT32 in my 2020 LRMY.)

I have been using the MobileMate reader with the Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance card with no issues for 18 months. It has been six months since I add the BYEASY unpowered USB hub and a USB thumb drive (also formatted as FAT32) for MP3 music. These are connected to the USB data port beneath the wireless charging pad (my 2020 LRMY has the original console and there is no USB port inside the glove box.)

What happens if you just use the Rocket card reader and the Pro Endurance card (only 1 partition). Does the USB data drive with the /TeslaCam folder remain mounted after you park?

With the Atolla hub connected to my Windows laptop I can mount/remount a USB device by turning on the switch for that port.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Using either hub with the rocket/Samsung music and the Tesla usb sentry, when I come back to the parked vehicle the sentry has to be unmounted and needs either needs to be removed and placed back in or hub port switched off and on. No issues with sentry usb by itself.

Of note, the Tesla usb drive came formatted as exfat. Not sure if that matters.

Any other Ideas?

I'm using @jcanoe's solution of MobileMate reader with the Samsung 128GB Pro Endurance card in my November-build 2022 MYLR. However, I have partitioned the card into two drives: TeslaCam/Sentry Mode and Music. It's been working fine for me for the past 6 weeks.

In the meantime, I'm still waiting for my non-data USB-C center console ports to be installed. Mobile Service has slipped the date twice because the part hasn't arrived. Currently sitting at 1 Feb. If I'm not mistaken, Fremont seems to have plenty of these to go in cars they're building right now. Why couldn't they divert a few to waiting customers? Oh, that's right...they already have my money :rolleyes:

"Service after the sale is important for customer satisfaction/retention!" said no one at Tesla, ever.