Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been corresponding with a very reputable Tesla third party vendor who is procuring modules and will test to make sure functionality is restored.

Will let this thread know the results.
Anything on this yet? I’m still so pissed they pulled this crap. It’s probably a supply chain thing. Couldn’t get the right part so substituted with lesser functionality. Another rookie move by tesla. You can’t take away what was already considered standard without passing off a lot of people.

I love my MY…. That being said, I can’t wait to buy one of these from Toyota when they get their stuff together. It will be nice to get back to the quality and predictability provided by seasoned car manufactures. Tesla is fun and a leader…. A market forces for sure but this is no way to run a business.

Last edited:
Anything on this yet? I’m still so pissed they pulled this crap. It’s probably a supply chain thing. Couldn’t get the right part so substituted with lesser functionality. Another rookie move by tesla. You can’t take away what was already considered standard without passing off a lot of people.

I love my MY…. That being said, I can’t wait to buy one of these from Toyota when they get their stuff together. It will be nice to get back to the quality and predictability provided by seasoned car manufactures. Tesla is fun and a leader…. A market forces for sure but this is no way to run a business.
Where Tesla went wrong was not enough disclosure of the change (although that is par for the course how Tesla operates, sometimes for the better when they do upgrades silently). Note Tesla is not the only one removing USB functionality, some manufacturers have removed USB ports completely. Going with a "traditional" make does not necessarily save you from this under current conditions as everyone is under the same supply shortages.

Reactions: tm1v2
Has anyone considered swapping out the ASY, USB HUB - Part Number - 1656787-30-A or Gen3 (1755200-00-B)? I don't know if this is the new charge-only module or if this is the original version that provides data as well. I wonder if someone with an older MY can take a look at the part number on their vehicle and confirm which one we'd have to order. There has to be a module we can purchase for a retrofit.

There's a whole group retrofitting the missing lumbar support in the passenger side seat. There have to be older modules available if we're able to find the parts to retrofit the missing lumbar support. We'd just need a model number from someone that has a working set of USB C ports in the center console.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: SFNM Jack
So, I had a long chat with a guy from Aliexpress where the replacement part mentioned by @rbcopod. He assured me this will function exactly as the original data ports did in pre-musked model y with the intel atom chipset. Guaranteed me return w/o restocking fee but wouldn’t pay freight.

Right now, I’m hanging out waiting for @lagjazz to report back on his install experience. If we don’t get anything from him in the next week or so I’m going to be the next guinea pig….
I know I’m quoting my own post from another thread but thought I’d include this here as well….

Has anyone considered swapping out the ASY, USB HUB - Part Number - 1656787-30-A or Gen3 (1755200-00-B)? I don't know if this is the new charge-only module or if this is the original version that provides data as well. I wonder if someone with an older MY can take a look at the part number on their vehicle and confirm which one we'd have to order. There has to be a module we can purchase for a retrofit.

There's a whole group retrofitting the missing lumbar support in the passenger side seat. There have to be older modules available if we're able to find the parts to retrofit the missing lumbar support. We'd just need a model number from someone that has a working set of USB C ports in the center console.
Great idea…. Can anyone help here? I mean, if there is a problem with a 2021 MY that has data support in the center console the service center certainly ”can’t” replace it with a charge only hub, right? The spares gotta be out there…. Oh, I forget this is Tesla…. I guess they could. I might schedule a service appointment or at least go ping the service center in Nambe…. Again, great idea!

My car goes in for a Bra and some tinting tomorrow. When I get it back I’m gonna open the console and make sure I have the orphan cable. If I do I’ll place the order with Aliexpress ASAP. Whats the worst that can happen, I eat $150 bucks, right. It couldn’t possibly let the smoke out of something, right? 😮

Last edited:
Reactions: rbcopod
I am asking for your help, Jcanoe , or advice from any others on the forum...

I have a '22 MYLR with the neutered center console ports.

To remedy this and have usb music, sentry and gaming I tried the following:

unpowered USB 4 port hub
BYEASY USB Hub, 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub, Ultra Slim Portable Data Hub Applicable for iMac Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini/Pro, Surface Pro, Notebook PC, Laptop, USB Flash Drives, and Mobile HDD (Leather Black)
attached to USB A port with:
1. Tesla issued usb thumb drive for sentry
2. micro sd drive with music
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card/TF Card Reader Adapter
3. empty.
4. empty.

This crashed the cpu 6 minutes black screen while driving. Restarted with brake pedal plus both buttons on steering wheel x 20 seconds.

Next try...

USB A port with micro sd drive partitioned to TeslaCam and Music
Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card with Adapter (MB-MJ128GA/AM)
Rocketek Aluminum USB 3.0 Portable Memory Card Reader Adapter for Micro SD Card/TF Card Reader Adapter
This worked except the Tesla Cam unmounts when I am away and needs to be removed and reinserted to become functional. Doesn't save any sentry events.

Next try...

USB hub with on/off power to each port
USB 3.0 Hub Splitter - USB Extender 4 Port USB Ultra Slim Data Hub with Individual Power Switch and LED
1. Tesla issued usb thumb drive for sentry
2. micro sd drive with music
3. Power off
4. Power off
Once again, this worked except the Tesla Cam unmounts when I am away and needs to be removed and reinserted to become functional. Doesn't save any sentry events.

I bought this
wireless-gamepad from Abstract Ocean and it works great wirelessly from USB a hub directly or through either usb hub. Obviously still no Sonic or Cuphead but it works super well with no lag and with glovebox closed.

Can anyone suggest a way to have the sentry cam remain operational using a hub? or Anyone with a suggestion of another permutation I can try? Anyone got this working?

Thanks
See the 3 port hub I’m using (post on Jn 12th), I’m having no issues on my new Jan 7th Performance Model Y.

For the two sellers (probably same store) selling the Data Transmission Modules on Ali, there are now some (positive) reviews.
One of the reviewers said it was a Tesla OEM part and worked perfectly but when i communicated with the seller via messaging, they said it wasn't OEM and was "developed in China". He said Tesla updates won't disable or break the module since it's "not involved in the system".

Waiting to pick up my Model 3 in two days to confirm the USB ports are useless before i order this. Seller mentioned to order before the start of the lunar new year to minimize delays.

Anyone know what the cost of this part would be if we order it from Tesla Parts? I assume it's part #1522264-00-B (i think that's the data module from the Y that will work on the 3). I know, considering they aren't even installing the part in cars, it might not even be possible to order this part in.

For the two sellers (probably same store) selling the Data Transmission Modules on Ali, there are now some (positive) reviews.
One of the reviewers said it was a Tesla OEM part and worked perfectly but when i communicated with the seller via messaging, they said it wasn't OEM and was "developed in China". He said Tesla updates won't disable or break the module since it's "not involved in the system".

Waiting to pick up my Model 3 in two days to confirm the USB ports are useless before i order this. Seller mentioned to order before the start of the lunar new year to minimize delays.

Anyone know what the cost of this part would be if we order it from Tesla Parts? I assume it's part #1522264-00-B (i think that's the data module from the Y that will work on the 3). I know, considering they aren't even installing the part in cars, it might not even be possible to order this part in.
Thx for that. As soon as I get my car back from the PPF/tint install I’m going to open the console on my MY and make sure I have the orphan cable. Will probably order next week assuming nothing changes. I am a bit concerned about the price. The wife says that’s the cost of early adopter syndrome.

ASY, USB HUB, GEN3
1755200-00-B

There's a thread of folks who purchased the updated USB Hub and were able to get data working through the center console but Sonic and Cuphead never showed up.

I'll link the thread when I get to my desk.

Tesla won’t fix something that they consider normal. Plus if the installation of the new module somehow shorts out the electrical system it wont be covered. Having said that, I’ll probably do it myself if I can confirm the car’s software hasn’t been altered to prevent the cable from working.
Yep you were right they told me at my service appointment I am the first they ever heard of this problem not very helpful they had my car in shop all day then called me at 5pm to tell me it was ready but did nothing to my car oh Well they going to send a Mobil tech out next Friday to take a look

In case you’ve missed it, this is the hub I’m using without issue (so far)… on my Jan 7 2022 Model Y (Intel Atom processor, not AMD).
It’s what I’ve been using on my past 2018 Model 3 and 2020 Model Y cars.

Yes but Tesla says a hub is a No-No! Plus, I have to open the glove box (which is PIN protected), move all of the "crap" out of the way to access the hub to change the USB drive which is often not recognized without a lot of finagling. I would pay Tesla $100 to restore the data in the center console but the problem is that if they offered that they would catch all kind of crap from those that complain that it should have been there in the first place. Therefore it's either Tesla pays to change it or nothing. What would you pick if you were a Tesla manager?