Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding the link (Console Data Transmission Module) provided in previous post, it is considered high-risk by cybersecurity companies like Palo Alto Networks. I would highly recommend not entering your credit card information on that site. When I verified it at Palo Alto Networks URL filtering - Test A Site it said:
  • Category: Unknown
  • Description: Unknown The website has not yet been categorized, so it does not exist in the URL filtering database on the firewall or in the URL cloud database. When deciding on what action to take for traffic categorized as unknown, be aware that setting the action to block may be very disruptive to users because there could be a lot of valid sites that are not in the URL database yet. If you do want a very strict policy, you could block this category, so websites that do not exist in the URL database cannot be accessed.
  • Category: High Risk
  • Description: Sites that were previously confirmed to be malicious but have displayed benign activity for at least 30 days. Bulletproof ISP-hosted sites and sites with an IP address from an ASN that is known to allow malicious content. Sites that are associated with confirmed malicious activity (for example, they share the same domain). Unknown sites are considered high risk until PAN-DB completes a site analysis and categorization of the site.

• Informative
Reactions: WhiteWi
Regarding the link (Console Data Transmission Module) provided in previous post, it is considered high-risk by cybersecurity companies like Palo Alto Networks. I would highly recommend not entering your credit card information on that site. When I verified it at Palo Alto Networks URL filtering - Test A Site it said:
  • Description: Unknown The website has not yet been categorized, so it does not exist in the URL filtering database on the firewall or in the URL cloud database. When deciding on what action to take for traffic categorized as unknown, be aware that setting the action to block may be very disruptive to users because there could be a lot of valid sites that are not in the URL database yet. If you do want a very strict policy, you could block this category, so websites that do not exist in the URL database cannot be accessed.
  • Description: Sites that were previously confirmed to be malicious but have displayed benign activity for at least 30 days. Bulletproof ISP-hosted sites and sites with an IP address from an ASN that is known to allow malicious content. Sites that are associated with confirmed malicious activity (for example, they share the same domain). Unknown sites are considered high risk until PAN-DB completes a site analysis and categorization of the site.
So the suspicion could be about the tparts.us domain OR the provider with that ASN correct? Would submitting that domain for categorization - to Business and Economy for example, result in Palo Alto checking it out and increasing general confidence? I don't have any experience with Palo Alto.

So the suspicion could be about the tparts.us domain OR the provider with that ASN correct? Would submitting that domain for categorization - to Business and Economy for example, result in Palo Alto checking it out and increasing general confidence? I don't have any experience with Palo Alto.
Fortinet has tparts.us in the business category. in2survive What do you think?

For those of you frustrated by the lack of data capability in your model 3 or Y, a solution has arrived.

Using a link found in this thread, I was alerted about a replacement data module on Ali express. I corresponded with the company in China, and although they were able to demonstrate it’s successful implementation on a MIC model Y, they could not assure me it would work in a Fremont assembled American made unit. Seemed too risky for me to fork over $160 for the experiment.

I next corresponded with Abstract Ocean, a well-regarded American third party after market Tesla reseller. I was able to reach the CEO, Pete, who took an interest in the product, ordered it from one of his suppliers in China, and tested it on his data enabled Tesla. It worked. He then reached out to me, sent me the parts and asked me to install it in my neutered 2022 Model Y. I am happy to report it works successfully and there was an orphaned and functioning data cable in my console.

View attachment 761569
Here is the module
View attachment 761570
This is the successful opening of the console using the supplied tool.View attachment 761581here is the orphaned cable.View attachment 761582

new module installed
View attachment 761589
Old and new module side by side. Note addition of data port.

View attachment 761590
Here are the two cables plugged in before I reattached it to the console panel wall.

I was able to pop the console wall back in place and it is undetectable.

usb music works. Wireless gaming with a dongle or wired gaming works.

here is a link to purchase from Abstract Ocean. Send your thanks to Pete for making this happen! He is sourcing modules from China and has established a waiting list. Not sure about price yet, but he guesses it will be in the $130 range, although he’s going to start by discounting them for less to the early ordering customers.

USB-C Upgrade Module

Be aware that Tesla could inactivate this cable via software if they wish. Also, this doesn’t restore Sonic or Cuphead. That appears to be VIN enabled. We need to figure out how to get this enabled too. Someone please figure this out.

I’m somewhat good with my hands, so not easily intimidated. However, I would rate this install as slightly harder than easy, but less than difficult. As long as you are patient, you can do this.
Awesome research! Thank you.
And I’m a big patron of Abstract Ocean, last three Tesla’s I’ve outfitted mostly with their accessories.

I was asking about doing just that a page or so back. Now, can you record sentry data and also have a music USB drive in there and use both simultaneously?
Yes, I have used high endurance micro SD for dashcam/sentry, two usb for two game controller, and tesla usb flash for music. The only issue is using either micro SD or SD, not both, most USBA hub has such problem due to single card reader.

Yes, I have used high endurance micro SD for dashcam/sentry, two usb for two game controller, and tesla usb flash for music. The only issue is using either micro SD or SD, not both, most USBA hub has such problem due to single card reader.
I have a couple different USB hubs that I use with my mac, but they get very hot. I would be concern about having them in the glove compartment connected all the time. Have you noticed any issues with the unit you posted?

I’m on the caution side, so I wouldn’t click on it. But considering what other users mentioned about not being able to pay, trying several methods, etc. does raise some red flags. Having said that, it is classified as “high-risk”, not malware or phishing.
In summary: I don’t know for sure.
I ordered it no problem payed with Google pay. I'm assuming the people that were having problems just got there too late and they ran out of inventory.

I have a couple different USB hubs that I use with my mac, but they get very hot. I would be concern about having them in the glove compartment connected all the time. Have you noticed any issues with the unit you posted?

Hot probably means inefficient and you should try to avoid using them. Then again, in the Tesla you will not be pushing a ton of data over that USB connection like you might on your main computer, so it all depends on the use case. How hot does it get just sitting there, no data being pushed through it and only a single USB drive connected to it? That is an important benchmark and in that scenario it should be very cool, perhaps a tiny bit warm to the touch, but definitely not hot.

You are connecting to a single USB A style connector and that has to power the USB hub and whatever else you are plugging into that USB hub, so be careful and budget your power. I do not know the details of that glovebox connection, USB 2 or 3, which matters in how much power it can supply. USB 2 is 500mA max and USB 3 is 900mA. Not sure Tesla specs this info, try Googling for it or seeing if somebody on TMC has already reported it.

If the USB hub you end up using is getting hot, then you are wasting some of that power in the form of heat, which means there is even less is left over for the actual drives, etc. That is one reason to use the micro SD cards for drives versus other types of drives like SSD.

Using an unpowered USB hub to share the lone connection should not be a problem if you use a good one and budget power usage. Trying to draw more power than what a single USB connection can provide is the most common problem. I suspect this is part of the reason behind why Tesla said not to use a hub on that connection, what might happen if you overload that connection. I have blown out the 5V supply on USB ports in a laptop before, ended up having to connect an externally powered USB hub to continue to use those USB ports. That would be a PITA should it happen in your Tesla, trying to source power for a USB hub so you had a USB pipe for sentry storage, etc.

Reactions: tm1v2