Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Might be a stupid question, but here goes nothing.
Instead of buying the TPARTS Data Module, could I get a USB B Mini female to USB A female then run a male to female USB A cable to the bottom of the console? All I want to do is play music from USB. Or does the Tesla USB B mini supply zero power at all? Making it not possible.
Just keen to save a few bucks if I can make it work.
.View attachment 811953
The short answer is "NO". Current model Ys come with USB power-only capability. The TParts module adds the data channel needed for playing music.

Sort of a side question not related to data ports or Tparts, but Tesla USB-C related. Does anyone know the wattage output of Tesla's power-only USB-c's? I'm asking since I want to avoid overcharging an iPhone above its 20-watt charging spec.

The short answer is "NO". Current model Ys come with USB power-only capability. The TParts module adds the data channel needed for playing music.
Thanks for the response. I get the TParts modules adds data to the two usb c ports.
But without the module the car has the USB B Mini data cable already sitting in the car unused. My thoughts is to tap into that separately and leave the current none data module in. So in theory there's be three ports, 2 c's power only and & 1 usb data.
Just need to know if the the usb b mini cable in the car requires power for the data to work or if it's bus powered from the MCU3.

• Helpful
Reactions: CdnElec
Thanks for the response. I get the TParts modules adds data to the two usb c ports.
But without the module the car has the USB B Mini data cable already sitting in the car unused. My thoughts is to tap into that separately and leave the current none data module in. So in theory there's be three ports, 2 c's power only and & 1 usb data.
Just need to know if the the usb b mini cable in the car requires power for the data to work or if it's bus powered from the MCU3.
The device connected to the data port would need to be self powered but in theory yes it should work.

Sort of a side question not related to data ports or Tparts, but Tesla USB-C related. Does anyone know the wattage output of Tesla's power-only USB-c's? I'm asking since I want to avoid overcharging an iPhone above its 20-watt charging spec.
@Bikeman You don't have to worry about that. The way it works is the charger/host tells the device which voltage levels it supports, and max amperage, then the device (your phone) tells the charger which voltage level it wants, and your phone will draw only up to the allowed amperage.

Of course anything can be buggy or broken, but if there was a major issue with the Tesla USB-C port outputting a different voltage than asked for by the default, you can bet we'd be seeing reports of issues here. That would be a very horrible and unusual bug for a USB-C / USB PD power supply.

The most common USB-C power issues involve connecting high powered devices to low-powered chargers, not the other way around. There's also occasionally buggy charger/host ports that will present live 5V on a USB-C receptacle, which they shouldn't (unlike USB-A), but an iPhone would handle that just fine anyways. (Danger would be if you connected that buggy port to 5V live on the other side, e.g. USB-A port or captive USB-C charger cable.)

Reactions: E90alex
@Bikeman You don't have to worry about that. The way it works is the charger/host tells the device which voltage levels it supports, and max amperage, then the device (your phone) tells the charger which voltage level it wants, and your phone will draw only up to the allowed amperage.

Of course anything can be buggy or broken, but if there was a major issue with the Tesla USB-C port outputting a different voltage than asked for by the default, you can bet we'd be seeing reports of issues here. That would be a very horrible and unusual bug for a USB-C / USB PD power supply.

The most common USB-C power issues involve connecting high powered devices to low-powered chargers, not the other way around. There's also occasionally buggy charger/host ports that will present live 5V on a USB-C receptacle, which they shouldn't (unlike USB-A), but an iPhone would handle that just fine anyways. (Danger would be if you connected that buggy port to 5V live on the other side, e.g. USB-A port or captive USB-C charger cable.)

Thank you for the detailed response. Always good to know that I'll have a couple charging options, at least, for our two iPhone13's. In the past I have bought a 20w output cigarette lighter plug to usb-c/lightning cable to keep it similar to the iPhone's spec of 20w 120v block home charger.

The device connected to the data port would need to be self powered but in theory yes it should work.
Opened up the panel to take a closer look. The USB Mini B, does draw power from the MCU3. Probably the same amount most USB 2.0 devices deliver. Plugged in an old PS3 Controller to check to see if it will start to charge and it does.
Next I found and old USB Mini B card reader and formatted an old SD to try out. It detects the device, however something is not letting it read. Going to try a different SD Card and report back.

Attachments

• 20220605_123048.jpeg
    20220605_123048.jpeg
    256.4 KB · Views: 243
  • 20220605_121522.jpeg
    20220605_121522.jpeg
    391 KB · Views: 185
  • 20220605_122450.jpeg
    20220605_122450.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 164
  • 20220605_122013.jpeg
    20220605_122013.jpeg
    313.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 20220605_122457.jpeg
    20220605_122457.jpeg
    194 KB · Views: 171
  • 20220605_123318.jpeg
    20220605_123318.jpeg
    670 KB · Views: 186
Opened up the panel to take a closer look. The USB Mini B, does draw power from the MCU3. Probably the same amount most USB 2.0 devices deliver. Plugged in an old PS3 Controller to check to see if it will start to charge and it does.
Next I found and old USB Mini B card reader and formatted an old SD to try out. It detects the device, however something is not letting it read. Going to try a different SD Card and report back.
IT WORKS!!! Was an issue with my reader. Put in a micro SD card and it works.
Anyone wanting to play music and doesn't want to spend $$$ on the module can restore music from USB/SD really easily and cheaply.
Next I'm going to extend the Factory USB MINI B cable to the bottom the console.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4 and CdnElec
IT WORKS!!! Was an issue with my reader. Put in a micro SD card and it works.
Anyone wanting to play music and doesn't want to spend $$$ on the module can restore music from USB/SD really easily and cheaply.
Next I'm going to extend the Factory USB MINI B cable to the bottom the console.

Great find. Now where did I put all my old USB mini cables?

Reactions: JimInAllen
Just got my 2022 June build M3P. Does not have Data support and no Sonic game.
Yea, all model y and 3 built after 11/2021 only have data port in glovebox. You need an aftermarket item to get data & power usb-c in front center compartment. Google TParts usb data module if interested. I have it and it works great.
Yup, no sonic game for cars built after that time too.

Yea, all model y and 3 built after 11/2021 only have data port in glovebox. You need an aftermarket item to get data & power usb-c in front center compartment. Google TParts usb data module if interested. I have it and it works great.
Wow! thx for the info. How lame! you would think they would enable data over bluetooth...?

I hope soon or later they are going to put back USB with data ports there

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Hi all,

Recently, we've been receiving customers' feedbacks saying the data module won't restore their data function at the console USB ports. We have found out that it is due to Tesla cut another data cable in the console area that connects the data module to the Tesla computer for all the Tesla Model3/Y delivered after 6/15/2022 (From customers feedback, might not be precise).

For this issue, we’ve manufactured that missing data cable to address the issue, and the shipment is on the way to our U.S warehouse.

For customers who got Tesla Model 3/Y delivery recently and purchased our console data transmission module, we’d like to offer two options for you,
  1. We will generate a return label for you to return the product and once we receive the return item, the full refund of the product will be issued to your original payment account.
  2. We will ship the missing data cable to your address and provide necessary installation instruction once we have the missing cable arrived our warehouse, and you can totally restore the data transmission function on your Tesla.
You may DM us or send email to [email protected] if you need further assistance.

Best,

TPARTS