Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi @TPARTS,

Can you post the instructions for installing the new cable (that is needed for deliveries after 06/15/22)? I can't seem to find them on your website.

Thanks!
Hi,

We just received the cable and working on the instruction video now. The instruction video will be ready next week and all the cable will be shipped next week as well.

Hope this answered your questions.

TPARTS

Some people reported issues using usb-c hub with TParts data module. Here is a success story. I used a premium 5 in 1 Anker usb-c hub without issues. I plugged it in. Inserted a Xbox controller (wired powerA brand)in one usb-a and a flash drive in the other usb-a. In my second usb-c port I plugged in another powerA xbox controller using a usb-a to usb-c converter. I played the racing game in two player mode. Attached are photos with model # of usb-c hub.
Hi, Did u used this in the GloveBox or in the center console. can you please let me know. Is there any specific model i need to look for. can u share the model if you have?

Any usb-c bridge used with computers will work. I do not use a large clunky Anker usb-c bridge anymore. These days I plug two powerA game controllers in to the usb-c center console ports (TParts replacement module). The controllers are usb-a so I attach a High-Speed USB C Male to USB 3.0 Female Adapter to each of my usb-c ports. My music usb stick is usb-a too so leaving the adapters connected to my usb-c ports work great for me. I have the T-Parts usb-c data module which adds data & power to my 2022 Model Y’s center console usb-c ports. Important, Without the TParts replacement usb-c module your center console usb-c ports won’t have data ability at all so the above advice wouldn’t work.
In this post you can see the images of the Anker uncle-c bridge I used and one image clearly shows exact model number.

Attachments

• B6908EEE-B6C7-4BAF-90C7-4CD272DD18A9.jpeg
    B6908EEE-B6C7-4BAF-90C7-4CD272DD18A9.jpeg
    166.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Informative
Reactions: charlesoris
Hi all,

We‘ve uploaded a short data cable instruction video to our YouTube Chanel, you may find it here, https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYpc5uzRkcUmJgpr7v0BolA

We will update it with a HD version soon to our Chanel.

For those members, who bought TPARTS Console Data Module, need a data cable to restore the data transmission function, please DM us with your order number or send email to [email protected], we will ship the data cable within this week.

Thank you for your patience and feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

TPARTS

Hello everyone:

I went to @TPARTS earlier today and Chris helped me with the data module installation.

It turned out that there used to be two sections of USB cable that goes from the data module to the main computer. Well, apparently my car (and I assume all that were built after it) doesn’t have either portion. Not only did Tesla took out the portion from the side of the center console to the main computer, it now has taken out the section from the data model to the side of the center console. Luckily the new included data cable from @TPARTS was long enough to be connected between the data module and the main computer. Problem solved.

And I really appreciate Chris’ help and professionalism from today. Highly recommendInt @TPARTS if you need Tesla accessories.

Last edited:
I have a 2022 Model 3 with the center USB-C consoles charge-only. If I get this TPARTs module, it'll allow me data for the center console (USB flash drive loaded with music) and I can keep using the glove box USB-A port for sentry mode?

I just wanted to be sure that the Tesla firmware is allowing for multiple USB data ports to work. Also any advantage of doing this vs. getting a USB-A hub connected to the glove box?

I have a 2022 Model 3 with the center USB-C consoles charge-only. If I get this TPARTs module, it'll allow me data for the center console (USB flash drive loaded with music) and I can keep using the glove box USB-A port for sentry mode?

I just wanted to be sure that the Tesla firmware is allowing for multiple USB data ports to work. Also any advantage of doing this vs. getting a USB-A hub connected to the glove box?
I have had the TParts module for a few months. I can use both usb-c and usb-a simultaneously. No issues. I plugged my game controllers in usb-c and had dashcam in glove box. I am currently ringing 2022.20.6 .

I want to give a shout out to @TPARTS for sending out the data cable needed for the data module to work in my MYP. I ordered the module before delivery. Low and behold, team Tesla found another pointless cost cutting component to remove from vehicles delivered after 6/15/22. The TParts team sent me the required cable, the tools needed and a video tutorial to install it. I will install the data cable this weekend and will be sure to share my experience installing it. The customer service has been excellent and it should be mentioned. So, thank you TPARTS for standing by your products.

Low and behold, team Tesla found another pointless cost cutting component to remove from vehicles delivered after 6/15/22.
It isn't pointless. The cables costs money, installation of it costs time/money, and it adds weight to the car that isn't necessary. (Sandy Munro says that they push engineers to try to remove 1 gram per day, removing that cable that no longer does anything is way more than 1 gram.)

It isn't pointless. The cables costs money, installation of it costs time/money, and it adds weight to the car that isn't necessary. (Sandy Munro says that they push engineers to try to remove 1 gram per day, removing that cable that no longer does anything is way more than 1 gram.)
First, Tesla removed data capability in the center console, citing a lack of chips, but one can still buy an after-market module to connect to the data cable from MCU.
Now, they removed the data cable itself forcing owners to go through additional hoops to restore essential functionality.

Now, they removed the data cable itself forcing owners to go through additional hoops to restore essential functionality.
"Essential functionality"? o_O I'm not sure how you think it is essential, maybe it is for you, but it certainly isn't for most people. (Or there would be a huge uproar about it being missing.) The only thing it could really be used for while driving is USB music, which I doubt many people use. (Unless I am missing some big use for it.)

It certainly isn't essential for me, I would likely never use it if it was there. (Maybe I would buy and hook up a gaming controller to try the games out once or twice, but probably not more than that. And rumor is the Bluetooth controller support is coming "soon", which I would prefer anyhow.)

• Disagree
Reactions: positiv
"Essential functionality"? o_O I'm not sure how you think it is essential, maybe it is for you, but it certainly isn't for most people. (Or there would be a huge uproar about it being missing.) The only thing it could really be used for while driving is USB music, which I doubt many people use. (Unless I am missing some big use for it.)

It certainly isn't essential for me, I would likely never use it if it was there. (Maybe I would buy and hook up a gaming controller to try the games out once or twice, but probably not more than that. And rumor is the Bluetooth controller support is coming "soon", which I would prefer anyhow.)
Anybody else see the irony in that post by a user with the handle of MP3Mike? 🎵