Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to share that I was able to obtain the Tesla OEM factory USB data port part that was mentioned up thread (p/n 1755200-00-B). Took about a week to obtain from Tesla when the service center ordered from Fremont. I was surprised when it was only $34 plus tax. I currently have it installed with the Tparts USB hub and haven't had any issues yet. Late May 2022 build, still had the factory wiring in place.

My intention of this post is not to undercut Tparts or AO or any other supplier by any means (I own a number of items from Tparts and love them!) but just to mention an alternative for those that might be interested in the factory OEM replacement. I have no idea what the availability may be on this item since it is not the current part listed in the parts catalog but when I gave them the p/n, they pulled it up and said it was orderable. YMMV but here are some pics of that part for those that may be interested.
Interesting. When people tried in the past, tesla usually would not sell it to them because the part was listed as not belonging to their car’s intended configuration. Perhaps you got lucky or tesla is having a change of heart. Perhaps your car was built close to the 11/2021 cutoff and was listed as a build which could have the part. 🤷‍♂️

Interesting. When people tried in the past, tesla usually would not sell it to them because the part was listed as not belonging to their car’s intended configuration. Perhaps you got lucky or tesla is having a change of heart. Perhaps your car was built close to the 11/2021 cutoff and was listed as a build which could have the part. 🤷‍♂️
They check for it, but as long as it is not a restricted part, if you insist and say you are aware of a given part not matching your config, they are supposed to sell to you. It could be possible however that when there were shortages it was marked as a restricted part (to keep stock for repairs).

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Sorry may have been overlooked but late May 2022 build.

I ordered and installed the TPARTS USB-C upgrade module for my Model Y 3/22 production version. As others had noted, I do see that the connectors are somewhat more inset than the version that came with the car.

Anyway, I just installed it and now I learned the hard way that while it will power my XBox One controller, none of the games actually work with it. I am pretty sure others were mentioning this in the thread, but the mentions were not registering with me.

EVEN Starforce does not utilize the XBox controller, even though I made sure it was plugged in and powered up even before running Skyforce (for the first time ever). And of course I do not have Cuphead or Sonic installed.

(Only now do I realize what other posters saying “works with Skyforce, no Sonic installed” actually meant…)

This is a big bummer, as I am coming from a MY19 Model 3, and the controller easily worked with most of the games (Cuphead, Starforce, Stardew Valley, etc.).

Now I realize that there was literally no point to me ever doing this install, as the software is now crippled (and even games missing!). I have my sentry, music, boom box, etc, all on a T5 SSD in the govebox, and all I was trying to restore was the ability to plug in and use a gaming controller. I had no idea how much feature removal Tesla had done versus my Model 3. (I guess I shouldn’t get too upset, as this is nothing compared to the removal of the front-facing radar that my Model 3 had…)

I ordered and installed the TPARTS USB-C upgrade module for my Model Y 3/22 production version. As others had noted, I do see that the connectors are somewhat more inset than the version that came with the car.

Anyway, I just installed it and now I learned the hard way that while it will power my XBox One controller, none of the games actually work with it. I am pretty sure others were mentioning this in the thread, but the mentions were not registering with me.

EVEN Starforce does not utilize the XBox controller, even though I made sure it was plugged in and powered up even before running Skyforce (for the first time ever). And of course I do not have Cuphead or Sonic installed.

(Only now do I realize what other posters saying “works with Skyforce, no Sonic installed” actually meant…)

This is a big bummer, as I am coming from a MY19 Model 3, and the controller easily worked with most of the games (Cuphead, Starforce, Stardew Valley, etc.).

Now I realize that there was literally no point to me ever doing this install, as the software is now crippled (and even games missing!). I have my sentry, music, boom box, etc, all on a T5 SSD in the govebox, and all I was trying to restore was the ability to plug in and use a gaming controller. I had no idea how much feature removal Tesla had done versus my Model 3. (I guess I shouldn’t get too upset, as this is nothing compared to the removal of the front-facing radar that my Model 3 had…)
I have no issues with a "PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller" which costs around $29. Works on all games and works especially well on Skyforce & the racing game. Perhaps buy one or two of those. I do not notice the usb connectors being more inset and have no issues using them with my game controllers, usb-a to usb-c adapters, usb-c storage stick.
All Model Y (& I assume Model 3) cars made after 11/2021 lack cup head, sonic the hedgehog adding usb data ports will not reveal the games magically.

Regarding Skyforce: You need to play the intro first onscreen and get to the main startup screen before using the controller. the Racing Game uses the controller right off the bat.

Cuphead and Sonic is a huge miss. I hope they say something about the BT connection during the September AI Day.

Reactions: bsd107
Got my module and cable from Tparts, and followed the video up stream, but I don't have the intermediate piece stuck to the center console frame that than connects to the plug under the dash, so I need a cable long enough to be snaked into the center console and connect into the module then the plug under the passenger knee area. The tparts cable is long enough if I don't dress the cable behind the paneling, but can just baring make the connection between the under dash plug and their module if I cut across the corner. I'll leave it for now, but need to find a longer one to do it right (tparts is 3 ft maybe... need a 4 footer).

@TPARTS Do you know how long the provided cable is off hand, if not I'll uninstall it and measure.

Attachments

• 20220822_185035.jpg
    20220822_185035.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 226
Just installed my Tparts USB module and hub. Now I can game with Xbox cloud.

I still wish we can get sonic... I guess another 2 weeks.

Tparts USB module
Tparts USB Hub
Mayflash Magic Mini
Xbox X controller

View attachment 842810View attachment 842811
how did you get full screen like that? my browser doesnt fill the screen all the way. it still shows the car on the left even after hitting the full screen button.

I wanted to share that I was able to obtain the Tesla OEM factory USB data port part that was mentioned up thread (p/n 1755200-00-B). Took about a week to obtain from Tesla when the service center ordered from Fremont. I was surprised when it was only $34 plus tax. I currently have it installed with the Tparts USB hub and haven't had any issues yet. Late May 2022 build, still had the factory wiring in place.

My intention of this post is not to undercut Tparts or AO or any other supplier by any means (I own a number of items from Tparts and love them!) but just to mention an alternative for those that might be interested in the factory OEM replacement. I have no idea what the availability may be on this item since it is not the current part listed in the parts catalog but when I gave them the p/n, they pulled it up and said it was orderable. YMMV but here are some pics of that part for those that may be interested.

Weird.. I’ve just tried sourcing this part and Tesla UK say it’s restricted and won’t allow me to order it. Annoying as hell

• Informative
Reactions: positiv and tm1v2
Just wanted to advise that in Australia I was also able to order the official part from Tesla. Thanks to those that suggested it. Nothing against Tparts, seems like a great part maker. But was going to cost over $100AUD to get the part from them. Tesla sold me the official part for $53AUD. Was an easy swap over in my June 2022 shanghai Y. Also our cars come with the usb data cable installed, so didn’t have to do that. Centre console USB ports now working perfectly for data.
3C405B45-881B-4620-8BC8-A15E5C568774.jpeg

Wanted to add this thread for reference. My BD 31/7 MiC Aussie Spec Model Y has the USB cable only half way, i.e. it is wrapped up inside the tape behind the data module, which then terminates on the right side trim (passenger side in LHD cars, driver side in RHD cars). Shown in this video here:
So this is different to the one of @dwhes , which still had the full cable installed.

Tesla sold me the USB data module for AUD 53 and I made my own USB cable to connect the data port on the computer. Works well.

Although I have the TParts usb module, I decided having a spare might be a good idea.I am in California,USA. I just picked up a tesla oem usb module ( part # 1755200-00-B ) which supports data & power. Ordered via tesla app like previous poster mentioned. No questions at all except at pickup time they asked if I wanted it installed. I said no. Part was about $36 usd & not sure what they would charge for install but it is so easy best to do it yourself. Took 2 weeks to arrive.

Last edited:
For those installing the OEM Tesla part, how are you removing the panel it attaches to? I know TParts includes a tool for removing that panel...do you have a similar tool or are you improvising in some way?