Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed 2022.28.2 which restores sonic and cuphead to those of us that never had it. Can confirm that my controller worked when plugged into the center console despite the release notes stating it needed to be plugged into the glovebox USB. Of course this is after the hardware upgrade to the center console as described in this thread.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the cable from the MCU to the connector behind the trim piece in the passenger footwell? Since newer model y's are missing this cable (and the subsequent cable actually inside the center console), I need to find both of these cables. I know the one inside the console is 1100827-00-C and I can find that relatively easily on eBay, but the cable from the MCU to the center console appears to be a part of the J Harness, however, I assume since it's omitted, it's not a necessarily a singular part I can get. I see its part number is 1521277-00-A but nothing appears on EPC, so I assume I cannot order this directly.
1663617776736.png

Does anyone know if there is a way to get the cable from the MCU to the connector behind the trim piece in the passenger footwell? Since newer model y's are missing this cable (and the subsequent cable actually inside the center console), I need to find both of these cables. I know the one inside the console is 1100827-00-C and I can find that relatively easily on eBay, but the cable from the MCU to the center console appears to be a part of the J Harness, however, I assume since it's omitted, it's not a necessarily a singular part I can get. I see its part number is 1521277-00-A but nothing appears on EPC, so I assume I cannot order this directly.View attachment 854353
Check out t parts. I think they have all the pieces needed to complete the circuit.

they will send you both cables i believe
Speaking to them regarding this, I know of a few people who ordered and only got the shorter cable run and needed an additional, will follow up for those lucky people who have no data cabling whatsoever 🙃

I thought I saw very recently in another thread (I’ll have to look later) that a person in Australia made their own cabling with success.

Push comes to shove, I'll do that. Anyone know what connectors I need to pull that off?

I made that cable.

It's just two male Mini USB connectors. If you have two long enough cables even something like this would work and doesn't require soldering: Cable Matters 2-Pack USB 3.0 Coupler USB Female to Female Adapter Gender Changer : Amazon.com.au: Computers

You will have to shave off some plastic from the connectors housing to fit inside the two ports, but you'd be fine
Awesome, I was trying to wrap my head around which of the two cables did the gender change. Still waiting to hear back from TParts to find out what cables they include, bit this seems particularly easy

Updating my previous post. I kind of got impatient waiting for a reply. I decided when I was dropping my Y off today for some delivery imperfections to be serviced to see if I could get the part from the Parts department. I was able to order both the Data box and half of the cable from Tesla directly. I asked about the section of the cable that used to be a part of the J Harness but they do not have it in the system. I was able to get both the data and cable for $49 in total. I will only need to supply the cable from the lower console to the MCU at this point.

Also adding, service helper was great, he is also putting my 1st party Tesla Wheel Lock kit on for free as part of the service visit.

1663791182968.png

1663791399101.png

Update: Ordering this cable - https://www.amazon.com/CablesOnline-Mini-B-5-Pin-Cable-USB2-5506/dp/B019M3NM1O. I will report how this goes, estimated delivery about a week after order.

Last edited:
Another update; I heard back from TParts. If you buy the TParts data box, they will provide a cable that will replace the equivalent of both OEM Factory wires. So rest assured, if you have both cables missing and order the databox, TParts includes the entire harness, and you will not need to purchase any additional wires. I decided to go down the OEM route, but if it's worth it to you for the extra cost or your local SC won't sell you the parts, TParts will allow you to do the retrofit as needed.

I wanted to share that I was able to obtain the Tesla OEM factory USB data port part that was mentioned up thread (p/n 1755200-00-B). Took about a week to obtain from Tesla when the service center ordered from Fremont. I was surprised when it was only $34 plus tax. I currently have it installed with the Tparts USB hub and haven't had any issues yet. Late May 2022 build, still had the factory wiring in place.

My intention of this post is not to undercut Tparts or AO or any other supplier by any means (I own a number of items from Tparts and love them!) but just to mention an alternative for those that might be interested in the factory OEM replacement. I have no idea what the availability may be on this item since it is not the current part listed in the parts catalog but when I gave them the p/n, they pulled it up and said it was orderable. YMMV but here are some pics of that part for those that may be interested.

I wish I would have sent this. I paid $90 for my abstract ocean module. Oh well.

However, I still can not get usb Audio source to show up after the installation when I plug in my iPhone.

I wish I would have sent this. I paid $90 for my abstract ocean module. Oh well.

However, I still can not get usb Audio source to show up after the installation when I plug in my iPhone.
I don’t think reading music from iPhone connected to tesla via usb was ever supported. My volt had it via a special iPod mode but I recall that stopped working in more recent iOS updates.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Although I have the TParts usb module, I decided having a spare might be a good idea.I am in California,USA. I just picked up a tesla oem usb module ( part # 1755200-00-B ) which supports data & power. Ordered via tesla app like previous poster mentioned. No questions at all except at pickup time they asked if I wanted it installed. I said no. Part was about $36 usd & not sure what they would charge for install but it is so easy best to do it yourself. Took 2 weeks to arrive.
How do you order this part from the Tesla app?

How do you order this part from the Tesla app?
You might want to get the TParts data module if your Model Y was made after March 2022 since vehicle might be missing some cables which TParts will supply & Tesla might not & you will have to make your own data cable as outlined in a message before this posting.
However if you want the part from Tesla, in Tesla mobile phone app I opened a service request...service type "other"...clicked on"something else"...a text box appears and I typed that I wanted to order the part #. A few days later I was asked to approve the invoice and then they informed me whenI could come and pick it up. If you live to far away from a SC, perhaps mention this and give them the shipping address. Perhaps they will ship it to you....or not. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I'd say by the number of people getting the retrofits as seen in this and a few other threads, that a fair amount of people do indeed value having usb-c ports which support data. Just mentioning this in the event someone from Tesla reads this so future Model Y/3 might get data capable ports from factory again.

I was showing a pal my model y last night as he is on the fence between model Y and another EV and he mentioned this was a bit of a negative as he doesn't want to mess about in the glovebox. He was somewhat relieved to know a retrofit was possible.

Reactions: Bikeman