Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eventually, the newest bluetooth versions will offer lossless music and higher bandwidth, which will allow phones to be used instead of USB drives. Also, the (Tesla) wireless game controllers are due to maybe possibly be available some day eventually (when STEAM arrives?), which may make all this extra cabling and modules mute. But I am amazed how all the Tesla communities are all together solving today's issues with what customers want. Games and music. Pretty simple, isn't it? Sad that Tesla saves nickles and dimes but can't see the cars as we use them. You guys here all ROCK with your perserverance and ingenuity solving what shouldn't even need to be solved.

You might want to get the TParts data module if your Model Y was made after March 2022 since vehicle might be missing some cables which TParts will supply & Tesla might not & you will have to make your own data cable as outlined in a message before this posting.
However if you want the part from Tesla, in Tesla mobile phone app I opened a service request...service type "other"...clicked on"something else"...a text box appears and I typed that I wanted to order the part #. A few days later I was asked to approve the invoice and then they informed me whenI could come and pick it up. If you live to far away from a SC, perhaps mention this and give them the shipping address. Perhaps they will ship it to you....or not. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for the info And recommendation

I took Delivery on 6/4 . I went the Tparts route and ordered their gaming package with the wireless conrollers Just got it today. I lucked out that all I needed was to swap out that one USB unit, with their included tool I was up and running in 5 minutes. So far so good... everything working well
Ordered the same as above but I think it only came with one controller. Will see when it shows up.

Data Retrofit Complete! It still works on an F546 MY.

Parts:
$34 - Data Module: 1755200-00-B
$15 - Data Cable (18 Inches or So, Data Box -> Lower Center Console): 1100827-00-C
$8.95 - 6ft CablesOnline USB 2.0 Mini-B 5-Pin to Mini-B 5-Pin Male/Male Cable, USB2-5506 (Replaces 1521277-00-A, Lower Console -> MCU cable).
$57.95 - Total

Doing this route adds the benefit of using an OEM module and is quite a bit cheaper than 3rd party solutions but comes with some cons that you need to decide if they are worth the savings. You need to trim the sheathing on the USB connectors; they won't fit into the USCAR connectors out of the box.

1664050521100.png

I did some extensive research but could not find an appropriate cable that would be plug-and-play, so this cable was the best situation. I did find a Molex-created USCAR mini USB male-to-male connector. IF you are willing to splice this cable to extend it to about 5 feet, it may work! I don't know if these are the appropriate connectors as it appears they can be the correct type of connectors, just mirrored in the incorrect way.

One benefit of using this cable over a USB gender changer is limiting the possibility of a connector becoming unplugged while driving.

You also do not get a trim remover for the center console, so getting the center console trim piece with the databox off is a bit more challenging. You can find different tools to get this piece out; I used a thin pry tool to get the trim remover that came with an old dashcam to get this piece off. You will also need a Torx 20 bit to remove the databox from this piece.

1664051959769.png

Installation was easy, I could route the OEM USCAR cable reasonably easily, but I couldn't find an easy way to use the included clips on the cable to route it the intended OEM route. You may be able to accomplish this by removing the center console, but unfortunately, I am feeling lazy lol.

1664050820771.png
1664050893718.png

Routing the male-to-male USB cable was easy. It's pretty spacious down there!

Forward Console
1664050975401.png

Footwell
1664051057198.png

Connector area towards MCU in the footwell
1664051263245.png

Final Product
1664051438356.png

1664051466447.png

1664051787427.png

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to help!

Data Retrofit Complete! It still works on an F546 MY.

Parts:
$34 - Data Module: 1755200-00-B
$15 - Data Cable (18 Inches or So, Data Box -> Lower Center Console): 1100827-00-C
$8.95 - 6ft CablesOnline USB 2.0 Mini-B 5-Pin to Mini-B 5-Pin Male/Male Cable, USB2-5506 (Replaces 1521277-00-A, Lower Console -> MCU cable).
$57.95 - Total

Doing this route adds the benefit of using an OEM module and is quite a bit cheaper than 3rd party solutions but comes with some cons that you need to decide if they are worth the savings. You need to trim the sheathing on the USB connectors; they won't fit into the USCAR connectors out of the box.

View attachment 856533

I did some extensive research but could not find an appropriate cable that would be plug-and-play, so this cable was the best situation. I did find a Molex-created USCAR mini USB male-to-male connector. IF you are willing to splice this cable to extend it to about 5 feet, it may work! I don't know if these are the appropriate connectors as it appears they can be the correct type of connectors, just mirrored in the incorrect way.

One benefit of using this cable over a USB gender changer is limiting the possibility of a connector becoming unplugged while driving.

You also do not get a trim remover for the center console, so getting the center console trim piece with the databox off is a bit more challenging. You can find different tools to get this piece out; I used a thin pry tool to get the trim remover that came with an old dashcam to get this piece off. You will also need a Torx 20 bit to remove the databox from this piece.

View attachment 856550

Installation was easy, I could route the OEM USCAR cable reasonably easily, but I couldn't find an easy way to use the included clips on the cable to route it the intended OEM route. You may be able to accomplish this by removing the center console, but unfortunately, I am feeling lazy lol.

View attachment 856535View attachment 856537

Routing the male-to-male USB cable was easy. It's pretty spacious down there!

Forward Console
View attachment 856538

Footwell
View attachment 856539

Connector area towards MCU in the footwell
View attachment 856541

Final Product
View attachment 856547
View attachment 856548
View attachment 856549

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, I'd be happy to help!
You need to complete it with a wireless dongle.

Does your wired powerA controller work with Sonic in the car? If so can you link to the exact listing you bought?
I do not have tesla update 2022.28.X so I do not yet have sonic or cuphead in my car. I’ll reply when I get the update.

This is the powerA controller I bought.

I did order the part over the counter from Tesla Service and it was sold to me with no issues. Total came to 52 CAD with tax in Ontario, Canada. Process is rather easy to do the swap. Next time I have service work, I might ask to see if they can update the configuration, but since the missing games were added back with 2022.28.X, I don't think it would do much more than just change the on-screen message when no controller is connected.

IMO totally worth the time. Mine is a early February build so I did not need to get the cable itself, already was there taped with the other one.

Will new Tesla's play Apple Lossless audio files? I originally partitioned my Samsung T5 for TESLACAM and my iTunes library 450+ CD's copied as Lossless and they would not play. So I'm playing them via BT now.
No Apple Lossless audio format support when playing back via usb. I’ve never heard credible sources mention supporting apple’s format. Convert them to flac lossless audio format. I use that in my Tesla. I do not know how to convert as I bought my media in flac format.
Yea what a shame. Lossless audio format getting compressed via Bluetooth compression. 🙁

Does your wired powerA controller work with Sonic in the car? If so can you link to the exact listing you bought?

I do not have tesla update 2022.28.X so I do not yet have sonic or cuphead in my car. I’ll reply when I get the update.

This is the powerA controller I bought.
I got 2022.28.2 . All the new games work with the wired powerA controller even if controller is plugged in to center console usb-c ports if they have been updated to support power & data.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
You also do not get a trim remover for the center console, so getting the center console trim piece with the databox off is a bit more challenging. You can find different tools to get this piece out; I used a thin pry tool to get the trim remover that came with an old dashcam to get this piece off.
Good write up! Thanks.

I found this tool works well to pull off the center console: Can And Bottle Opener CBO-ANV - The Home Depot

Just got the USB hub part from service center over the counter, as my MYP was delivered before the cable cut off date ( pun intended :) )