Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model Y - USB Data Ports - USB-A Glovebox Only

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
effing Tysons Corner Tesla at Tyco Rd won’t sell me the USB data module 1755200-00-B. The lady said it’s not for over the counter sale. She said to try scheduling a service appointment.
Yes. This is the way. Use tesla app to request the part. Tesla gets it shipped to them & informs you when to pick it up. Tesla SC doesn’t keep many parts on site. The ordering process has been detailed in this thread.

I just installed this in my March 22 Y and luckily I had the usb cable still in the center. I almost went with the abstract ocean or the oem one but this one was cheaper and has more ports. No issues yet and it works with sonic with the Xbox controller and my boombox sounds/mp3 thumb drive just fine.

This is actually a great option, I had seen it previously but it was much more expensive. It negates the need for buying a hub, which actually makes this really worth it!

Reactions: Limited

I just installed this in my March 22 Y and luckily I had the usb cable still in the center. I almost went with the abstract ocean or the oem one but this one was cheaper and has more ports. No issues yet and it works with sonic with the Xbox controller and my boombox sounds/mp3 thumb drive just fine.
Thanks @Payjack! I just installed this module, and all appears to be working fine. I love having the extra ports built-in without requiring a hub (2 USB-C and 4 USB-A). The center tray can open and close all the way with whatever I have plugged in, and I don't lose space in the storage area like I would with a hub.

My glovebox port is back to being used only for the Sentry/Dashcam micro-SD card and reader. Now that it's in the center console, my wireless USB game controller has a rock-solid connection, and a micro-SD card and reader with music works as expected.

Great find!

Thanks for the link as well!

I had previously installed the Tparts USB module and decided to try this one after my USB seemed to power off and on randomly after several months use (not sure of the cause since the power connector was installed tightly).

Anyway, this module on Amazon is even better, IMO (less expensive too). The tool that comes with it is bigger, thicker, and the two "fingers" that pry away the USB panel in the car are longer which I think made it easier remove the panel (also helped by the fact that it's been removed by me a couple of times before).

All four of the USB A sockets support data. However, the two USB C sockets do not support data (despite what the seller posted in the Q&A at Amazon and lack of data is further confirmed by the label on the back of the new USB module). The USB C sockets do support 30W (in one) and 65W (in the other) charging. They both support "super fast" charging on my Samsung Galaxy S21 phone while the Tesla and Tparts USB C sockets only supported "fast" charging.

So far as installation goes, I like that the USB module is already attached (permanently, I think) to the flocked black panel (matches the Tesla interior) which is included. No need to remove the Tesla USB module from the Tesla panel and screw in a new module. I like that the two cables (power, USB) plug into the back of the module (and lock in) instead of plugging into the side which restricts movement during installation a bit (the short cables make things tight).

One installation hint... There are five small metal clips on the posts (three on top, two at the bottom) which hold the panel in place in the Tesla console. The new panel does not have these clips and did not install tightly without them. So you should remove these clips from the old panel and push them on the mounting posts of the new panel before you install it in the console.

Last edited:
Reactions: UoMDeacon
If you come up with something better than what I did, please let me know!
This may not be a better method...but i have all the pieces at home. Just need data unit like yours.
I used a usb hub in glove box, and then connect the usb3 extension and run the cable like yours and connect it to a usb a to mini usb which connect to the data unit.

I used the aliexpress module
tesla thumb works but you will see a notification to connect it to a faster port, so i connect it to the usb hub in the glove box.
data port now working with external thumb drive for media, wireless controller is working with 8bitdo adaptor.

This may not be a better method...but i have all the pieces at home. Just need data unit like yours.
I used a usb hub in glove box, and then connect the usb3 extension and run the cable like yours and connect it to a usb a to mini usb which connect to the data unit.

I used the aliexpress module
tesla thumb works but you will see a notification to connect it to a faster port, so i connect it to the usb hub in the glove box.
data port now working with external thumb drive for media, wireless controller is working with 8bitdo adaptor.

So was just wondering hows the unit? I was thinking of buying it but not sure how well it worked. Haven't seen a lot of people review the unit.