Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i ordered a model YP 3.5 weeks ago bc need a second car and our model X order delivery date disappeared.

according to my vin, our model Y is a 2021.

the guy at the smartcharge program (look into this if you havent already, some areas 'reward' you ie gift cards for charging at offpeak hours) was asking if mine is a 2021 or 2022 "since the 2022 are much newer so we pay extra close attention to those"

i ordered my car 3.5 weeks ago like i mentioned above lol, anyone else heard of a 2022 model Y or have one (according to their VIN)?

thanks!

i ordered a model YP 3.5 weeks ago bc need a second car and our model X order delivery date disappeared.

according to my vin, our model Y is a 2021.

the guy at the smartcharge program (look into this if you havent already, some areas 'reward' you ie gift cards for charging at offpeak hours) was asking if mine is a 2021 or 2022 "since the 2022 are much newer so we pay extra close attention to those"

i ordered my car 3.5 weeks ago like i mentioned above lol, anyone else heard of a 2022 model Y or have one (according to their VIN)?

thanks!
The 2022 Model Y doesn't exist yet. There might be some 2022 Model Y VINs starting in October 2021 (where the 10th digit will be an N) but we won't be 100% certain until we actually see them.

@Rbcnr what do you mean they "pay extra close attention to those"? I don't understand what he would have been saying.

Waited to ORDER Model Y at closing on OCT 20 2021. @ the California TESLA stores / both Camarillo and Agoura Hills Sales Reps confirmed that MY Performance will be delivered in DECEMBER 2021 (my order paperwork Agrees with this delivery date) and reps said this MYP order will in fact be MODEL YEAR 2022. Underneath the Rear Truck Lid (as usual) will be the badge indicating Year 2022 Model Y. Had I opted for a Non-Performance Y delivery date was SEPTEMBER 2022. Hope this helps.

Reactions: eksigned

@kithytom where do you see that? I searched the page you linked for "model year" and found these relevant quotes:

(m) Model year means the year used to designate a discrete vehicle model, irrespective of the calendar year in which the vehicle was actually produced, provided that the production period does not exceed 24 months.

(j) Model Year means the year used to designate a discrete vehicle model, irrespective of the calendar year in which the vehicle was actually produced, provided that the production period does not exceed 24 months.

How does that conflict with Tesla waiting till Jan 1 or later to switch the VIN year? The production period for 2021 at that point would be about 15 months, which is within the 24 month limit. And I would think it's up to the manufacturer to decide what is a discrete vehicle model. In fact, the way Tesla does continuous production changes, most years this would be difficult to define. [Exception the minor refresh of Model 3 and major refresh of S and X, all for 2021]