Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 model y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i ordered a model YP 3.5 weeks ago bc need a second car and our model X order delivery date disappeared.

according to my vin, our model Y is a 2021.

the guy at the smartcharge program (look into this if you havent already, some areas 'reward' you ie gift cards for charging at offpeak hours) was asking if mine is a 2021 or 2022 "since the 2022 are much newer so we pay extra close attention to those"

i ordered my car 3.5 weeks ago like i mentioned above lol, anyone else heard of a 2022 model Y or have one (according to their VIN)?

thanks!
Remember that Tesla doesnt really have model years .. sure, the VIN rolls over, but that doesnt mean the car is mechanically upgraded from an earlier model year. Tesla evolves the car hardware and software continuously, independent of model "year".

Dang. I am properly confused now. We have ordered a performance M3 and it was due for delivery end of November. Hearing rumours about the 2022 model, we asked tesla to put our PM3 on hold until January 2022. This is in the hope we get the 2022. However I now don’t even know if there will be such a thing - my FOMO has got the better of me. The key revisions I was hoping to capitalise on are new paint colours, adaptive suspension and was hoping for 4680’s. Am I now conning myself into thinking there may be revisions and yet end up with the same car, just later. I am in the UK in case that makes a difference. I have posted a similar message under other threads and so apologise if that is bad etiquette of if you have already read my other post and responded - just wanted to see if I can get additional points of view. Thanks everyone and what an incredible forum for knowledge and thoughts.

Dang. I am properly confused now. We have ordered a performance M3 and it was due for delivery end of November. Hearing rumours about the 2022 model, we asked tesla to put our PM3 on hold until January 2022. This is in the hope we get the 2022. However I now don’t even know if there will be such a thing - my FOMO has got the better of me. The key revisions I was hoping to capitalise on are new paint colours, adaptive suspension and was hoping for 4680’s. Am I now conning myself into thinking there may be revisions and yet end up with the same car, just later. I am in the UK in case that makes a difference. I have posted a similar message under other threads and so apologise if that is bad etiquette of if you have already read my other post and responded - just wanted to see if I can get additional points of view. Thanks everyone and what an incredible forum for knowledge and thoughts.
There's a few different things here that need to be clarified:
  • This thread is about the 2022 Model Y yet you've said you've ordered a M3P. Much of the planned updates are to come to the MY first since it is now their highest volume vehicle and they need to scale.
    • For example. the MY already has a single rear casting, will have front castings soon, and then structural battery packs while the M3 is currently not using any casting in their production
  • 2022 VINs have already started being produced as of Nov. 1st. However, I assume by "2022" you are referring to "new updates" but Tesla doesn't align these with model year as new updates are rolled out iteratively.
  • As for the key revisions you are referring to:
    • New paint colors - will only be rolled out at some point after Giga Berlin production begins. This was scheduled to begin in November but has just been pushed back another month due to environmental group pushback.
    • Adaptive suspension - this has been rumored since literally 2017. There has been new rumors about the adaptive suspension every year since then and Elon has said they are not planning to include this on the 3/Y multiple time. This could all change but this is not a rumor I would trust.
    • 4680 - As far as we know, the only 4680 cells currently being produced are at the Kato Rd. pilot facility and probably wont be shipped to EU so Berlin would most likely have to build out their battery production plant
As you can see, there are a lot of unknowns and no clear timeline for when any of the updates you are hoping to get will arrive. I would take delivery now if I were you.

7CD211B5-70C6-4CAE-B813-ED2047DDB6D3.jpeg

If you continue this madness, you might never drive a Tesla. I know, it is hard. Everybody always wants the greatest and latest.

Look, once you drive your Tesla, you'll know where your money went. I did not wait with my MY2021, ordered 2nd MY which will be early 2021 but it will most likely not have new batteries, lights, etc.

There is always going to be something next you can wait for. Get it now, enjoy (you will), get next Tsla in 5 years. It'll be all good and next level.

No 2022 models will be issued by Tesla this year until Jan 1 . The cars that will actually get the 2022 vin must be manufactured Jan 1st or later.
According to my SA.

Yeah that's what I heard also they changed the format and the 2022 models year Tesla's start Jan
This is misinformation. The 2022 MYs are already on the ground. The timing is similar to what happened last year.