Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MS cold draft on driver side door, very uncomfortable during Canadian winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Canadian winters have started and I noticed this week that there is a slight cold draft on the driver side door area. It’s enough to make my left leg near the driver door cold and uncomfortable. It improves when I turn up the heat and fan and blow at the feet but obviously that’s not a solution.

I noticed the plastic with the seat controls facing the driver door is very cold to the touch (same spot on the passenger side is nowhere as cold). Also I can feel cold air below the driver seat as well as along the bottom of the driver side door incl near the speaker grill. It’s hard to pinpoint exactly where it’s coming from as it’s unsafe to do so while I’m driving the car.

I have a service appointment this week. Anyone experience anything like this? I know the tech will want to go on a test drive and I’m dreading having to prove the problem exists.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

That is nuts. Wild when you consider the price point. I’ll see what the service center says but your experience doesn’t give me much hope. Last evening’s drive for 30 min in windy, below zero temps was not at all enjoyable.

Wait until it gets below -20c, not pleasant at all going down the highway at high speed. Don't forget, these cars are designed to be used in California. Good news is at lower speeds it is really not noticeable. They definitely could have used some type of barrier in the door or wherever the cold is emanating from.

I would get a Temperature Gun and find that draft's location !! If it is that chilly should be easy...

M

temp-gun.jpg

Wait until it gets below -20c, not pleasant at all going down the highway at high speed. Don't forget, these cars are designed to be used in California. Good news is at lower speeds it is really not noticeable. They definitely could have used some type of barrier in the door or wherever the cold is emanating from.
I got the car in Feb 2022 and don’t recall it being this bad. But last week when temps got in the -5 range in Ontario, I felt it during city driving speeds (50-80 kmph). It’s not a strong draft but can certainly feel cold temps near the door seal, corner where the left foot is resting while driving and oddly cold air movement (ever so slightly) under the driver seat area!

Same issue here. Got mine sept 2021. Really cold have to crank heat up to compensate. My truck has none of this on the same temperature. it is rediculous and I thought it was just my MS refresh but now I see it is something we have to live with

Is the refresh model missing this door seal, which is sort of second sealing under the door? Mine has this on the door and additional one circling the edge frame on the car. Haven’t searched it on mine yet as can’t remember it’s been that cold during my winter drives.

88605FC2-BB65-40B6-99D0-40B61C08E669.jpeg

I assumed this issue would have gotten better over the years, and had thoughts of updating the door seals to help with drafts and soundproofing, and possibly keeping dirt and mud from getting inside under the doors, especially the rear. Apparently it hasn't!

I have noticed it is easier to slam the door hard over the past couple of years, which means the seal is not as cushioning as it has been. This of course is not good for the handles, being prone to wire breakage.

I almost want to investigate adhering some weatherstripping in different areas to help with this. Seems ridiculous to have to do this. The model S is certainly does not fit the definition of a luxury car in this regard.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Update-

1. I have noticed the cold air draft is present even when the car is NOT in motion! It is exacerbated when in motion but certainly present.

2. I seem to have located the source to be…wait for it…from underneath the driver seat right by the chair rail closest to the driver door. There is certainly a cold air emanating from there. I can’t rule out that isn’t also the door seals (the speaker area seems to be cold as well) but the driver seat seems to be a source.

3. I used a temp gun at the surface temp setting. After running the heat for a while I switched off the climate and the chair rail area is registering 15 degrees celcius. The same spot on the passenger side is closer to 21 degrees. Temps on the driver side closest to the door are about 4-5 degrees cooler than the same spots on the passenger side.

At least the issue is replicable and present while at a stand still. I imagine this will require them to remove the seat to access the floor area. My hope is the service center doesn’t rule this a “within spec” concern or take too long to fix it. It’s only getting colder!

If your door cards have ever been off for any reason, whomever did this may have neglected to replace the sticky covers over the various nut/bolt access holes

When I took off my drivers‘ side a few years ago, I was bummed to find them all moved over to next to where they should be - most at least were still there

A couple that were missing, I closed off with kapton circles - this made the door slam less easily and improved the draught incursion

Apparently this is quite a serious safety issue too, as there is an air pressure sensor in the doors to sense side impacts. If the pressure dissipates easily, the sensor will not trigger - and perhaps not deploy the side airbags

If your door cards have ever been off for any reason, whomever did this may have neglected to replace the sticky covers over the various nut/bolt access holes

When I took off my drivers‘ side a few years ago, I was bummed to find them all moved over to next to where they should be - most at least were still there

A couple that were missing, I closed off with kapton circles - this made the door slam less easily and improved the draught incursion

Apparently this is quite a serious safety issue too, as there is an air pressure sensor in the doors to sense side impacts. If the pressure dissipates easily, the sensor will not trigger - and perhaps not deploy the side airbags
How can I check whether the holes have been covered or not? Would you be able to share a photo?

Update-

1. I have noticed the cold air draft is present even when the car is NOT in motion! It is exacerbated when in motion but certainly present.

2. I seem to have located the source to be…wait for it…from underneath the driver seat right by the chair rail closest to the driver door. There is certainly a cold air emanating from there. I can’t rule out that isn’t also the door seals (the speaker area seems to be cold as well) but the driver seat seems to be a source.

3. I used a temp gun at the surface temp setting. After running the heat for a while I switched off the climate and the chair rail area is registering 15 degrees celcius. The same spot on the passenger side is closer to 21 degrees. Temps on the driver side closest to the door are about 4-5 degrees cooler than the same spots on the passenger side.

At least the issue is replicable and present while at a stand still. I imagine this will require them to remove the seat to access the floor area. My hope is the service center doesn’t rule this a “within spec” concern or take too long to fix it. It’s only getting colder!
How did your service appointment go? I'd love your update as I'm about to go through the same motion.

How did your service appointment go? I'd love your update as I'm about to go through the same motion.
Unfortunately it didn’t go well. Although the tech spent some time with me to understand the issue, they ultimately decided it was working as expected, no cold draft was detected by the tech.

In the process of the repair, they did manage to tear part of my seat cushion. They didn’t disclose it and I noticed it the following day. Not pleased at all. So now I have to visit again for them to replace the seat cushion (went twice but part was not in stock although I was advised it was).

As for the cold draft, I’ve also discovered the heat in the car cuts out when only front facing vents are on. And the floor vents are directly above the accelerator pedal roasting my right foot. For now I have a towel shoved underneath the driver door to prevent air flow which seems to help a bit but my left leg especially near the seat cushion area gets very cold.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot