Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MS Refresh Front Dash Rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently started hearing rattles near the front dash / left A pillar corner of the 2022 model S refresh.

Doesn’t occur on smooth roads but quite noticeable on bumpier roads, especially at slower speeds.

Uploaded a video for reference. Anyone had a similar issue/solve? Sounds like either the vegan leather rubbing against the door or a loose wire inside (?). Not sure if it’s because the weather has been cold that’s causing it.

I had the exact same rattle in my 2022 Model X and just fixed it myself today. My Rattle comes from the uppermost driver plastic vent, above the driver screen, between the screen and the top of the dash (basically the top driver air vent, just under the top of the dashboard). I wedged some backer rod between the top of the driver display and the top air vent (just under the dash) and my rattle noise disappeared. Just push the backer rod in far enough to tuck under the dash so it’s not visible. I wrapped mine in black electrical tape first to make it blend in better. I don’t find airflow restricted either. Good luck.

I had the exact same rattle in my 2022 Model X and just fixed it myself today. My Rattle comes from the uppermost driver plastic vent, above the driver screen, between the screen and the top of the dash (basically the top driver air vent, just under the top of the dashboard). I wedged some backer rod between the top of the driver display and the top air vent (just under the dash) and my rattle noise disappeared. Just push the backer rod in far enough to tuck under the dash so it’s not visible. I wrapped mine in black electrical tape first to make it blend in better. I don’t find airflow restricted either. Good luck.
Here is a photo of my fix.

Attachments

• IMG_6405.jpeg
    IMG_6405.jpeg
    870 KB · Views: 58
For those here that have a plastic sound rattle coming from the instrument panel around the driver's air vent. I was finally able to figure it out, formerly I has stuffed some rolls of tesa tape to make pressure between the dash trim and the instrument panel cover, although this helped, it didn't fully solve the issue, I managed to figure (in my case) there is a very very small (uninsulated) gap between the enclosure for the driver's top air vent and the instrument panel cover, I managed to fit in there some poker playing cards in the gap that goes all the way for the size of the instrument panel and the vent. I could probably fit about 3 stacked cards (reference for the size of the gap) and about 3-4 cards split next to each other. I am planning to have service do something about the gap, and hopefully it will be under warranty..... or at least cheap. Please note, the cards are not inside the vent but below the vent enclosure. I really hope this helps someone out
72B1DA5D-E1E4-4E7A-ACFF-7C24550E6567.png

Mine happened any season, the tape help partially and loud music helped too... but I'm not always in the mood of having loud music. I am confident I am FINALLY getting rid of this issue. I spent a lot of time figuring out and trying different solutions for it as I had not fully found the root cause. Now I understand where the gap is. I hope this helps some one.
YRMV

Sorry for the Delay my car was at service, despite on having performed an "Insulator Dash (remove and reinstall)" procedure my rattle was not fully fixed, it became less prominent as other areas of the dashboard (like behind the infotainment screen) that were also rattling stopped. The gap between the driver's instrument panel and the enclosure for the air vents remain there as the source for the rattle. Putting these playing cards bent by the half part prevents the rattle. I will take my car to service once again, but in the meantime, this is my solution, its crappy but it works, on the upside is that unless you duck you wont be able to see the cards.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    359.2 KB · Views: 13
They are going to remove and replace my dash console as well. They fixed most of the squeaking coming from the back of the car but I do hear it from the front still (not the same as this rattle).
Actually - they aren't. I read the notes and they said they "fixed it"....they didn't. The console does squeak - so that might be a welcome change. They also, on the test drive, said the rear seats were responsible for a different squeaking sound but did nothing to fix them....except break the unlatch mechanism so now my 60 part of the 60/40 split doesn't fold down.