Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MX LR Seriously Efficient compared to our 2016 90D MX!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We look delivery of our MX LR a couple days ago, replacing our 2016 MX 90D. On a typical drive doing 75 ish, the car would get about 340-380wh/mi. My wife overall average in the car is 490wh/mi cause the car is used mostly for trips to school for the kids and the market (living at the top of a hill).
I just took the 2022 out for a 131mi trip on AP to qualify for the FSD beta and in doing so I set the AP at 75mph, and to my amazement the car averaged 301wh/mi!
Both cars have the same wheels/tires and config.
That's better efficiency that my Plaid MS!!
The biggest factor in upgrading was the increased range, and the car looks like it's not going to disappoint!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.29.46 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 10.29.46 AM.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 140
Typically on a new car with new tires, the efficiency starts as less and gets better after a few thousand miles after its been driven in, but in your case you are seeing good numbers from the get go.

What could possibly explain the much improved efficiency?

Typically on a new car with new tires, the efficiency starts as less and gets better after a few thousand miles after its been driven in, but in your case you are seeing good numbers from the get go.

What could possibly explain the much improved efficiency?
Mainly the permanent motors are far more efficient. 2018 and before had none. The Raven models came out in 2019 with a permanent magnet motor in the front only. The 2021/22 refresh has permanent magnet both front and rear. The battery is essentially the same size ~100kwh, so the only way to improve range is reduce the energy consumed by the motors. It also increased the maximum horsepower available, by a substantial amount, now at 670.

Thanks for those details.
Do let us know if those increased efficiency actually translates to higher range. Ultimately it is the range that matters
Yes it does. My 2018 had a rated range of 295 miles. My 2022 has a rated range of 351. Both have a roughly 100kwh battery. I typically see consumption in my 2022 250 to 275 Wh/mile. My 2018 was 290 to 350.

Mainly the permanent motors are far more efficient. 2018 and before had none. The Raven models came out in 2019 with a permanent magnet motor in the front only. The 2021/22 refresh has permanent magnet both front and rear. The battery is essentially the same size ~100kwh, so the only way to improve range is reduce the energy consumed by the motors. It also increased the maximum horsepower available, by a substantial amount, now at 670.
This exactly. Plus the nose might be a little more slippery.
My 1st MX was the 1st non-founder MX delivered at Van Nuys, so it is pretty much "as old as it gets" in regards to MX tech. (although still an amazing car!!)
It had a rated range of 257, the Refresh has a Rated Range of 347 (7 str, with 20's)
Based on my drive today at 75mph the car was do realistically 300miles from 2-100.
I will take that.