Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYLR Rear Driveline Click VIN F344xxx

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

butYtho

MYLR5 | Red\White | 20 | Tow | No FSD | OD:9/25
Dec 12, 2021
New Mexico
I've seen similar issues posted a few other places, but nothing super recent that I could found so I figured I'd start a thread just to document whatever happens. Evie developed a rear driveline "click" after about 4k miles. It happens during torque load shifts on the rear axle, so during acceleration, then in reverse, when releasing accel and entering into regen, etc. It's very pronounced (easily heard with windows down, occasionaly can be heard with windows up if radio and HVAC are off). Made a SC appointment hoping it would be a quick retighen the axle nut or lube the splines as I've seen elsewhere on the interwebs. It doesn't appear it's going to be that simple. I've seen where people get drive shafts replaced and even DU's replaced as well. So just wanted to have somewhere to document where a fairly recent build is experiencing the issue. BD=12/16/21, DD=12/31/21.

Dropoff was at 0930, they asked me to drive with a tech to verify. He heard it right away after only about 500 feet from the SC garage door. Wife had followed me to SC in her Tacoma so we puttered around El Paso most of the day before finally having her just drop me back off at Tesla so I could wait for it to be done, or to hear some status. Once wife dropped me off late afternoon, I could hear the techs working on it. They were just as confused, and seemed very frustrated with the noise. I even saw them take her out for a quick run around the block, came back, noise still there. So they're trying.

After about 15 minutes sitting in the waiting area, they came and talked with me and said they were going to need to keep it or I could bring it back Monday. Basically they plan to start disassembling things and checking everything trying to trace it down. I texted theSC this morning and also noted that the car does also exhibit quite a loud dentist drill type whine while at 45-50mph from the rear DU. I've seen where some people have some success with tightening the rear ground strap, but I'm thinking there could be something going on with the rear DU in general that is contributing to, causing, or exacerbating the click noise. I've also seen other posts where people say this whine is normal, not normal, some have had their penthouse seal replace, entire DU's replaced (du replacement always seems to fix the issue)? So I'm not sure on this one, could be inconsequential. I just chalked it up to normal EV motor whine (doesn't bother me tbh), but now I'm not so sure.

They provided me with a loaner S and I was on my way. SC is 45 minutes or so from where we live, and I can't Uber to work so the loaner was perfect. This way they can just keep it as long as they need to with no worries. It was beyond filthy though, I've already treated it to a nice little detail, looks much better now!

Hopefully it can be resolved soon and easily. I'll update here as I learn more. Been pretty pleased with the service process so far, everyone has been awesome, lets see if that continues. It's a car, crap happens. And I have terrrrrrible car luck, so hopefully this is the only issue we have with this car!

Here's a quick video from Reddit with the same noise, although mine is much louder, occasionally has multiple quick clicks, and comes from both sides of the car.

@IronQQQ

Posted probably the closest video to what mine sounds like

I received a notification Monday morning about 1100 that the car was done and ready to be picked up. I immediately headed down.

The invoice stated that they had discovered the "inner drive splines" were "not lubricated properly" and they lubricated them. They also torqued down all the suspension and axle components to factory spec.

Noise was gone until today, it's back on the passenger side, although very intermittent. Will wait until it's a bit more consistent to make another appointment. The noise doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it means something has play that shouldn't have play. They did not address my question regarding the whine from the rear DU.

Interestingly, I can't download the invoice from the first appointment. They had to do some finagling with it to clear the billing/diagnosis charge, and I guess as a result I'll have to hop into chat to make sure I can get that invoice.