Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 MYLR rear-ended and not totaled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was rear-ended and I think the damage is really bad. However my insurance adjuster gave an estimate of $18k rather than total it. The left quarter panel and rear body panel need to be replaced and she said only if the right quarter panel needs to be replaced as well then it's a total. Is this estimate seem reliable? Also is this kind of damage considered as structural damage and does this affect the battery?
Another weird thing is when I checked my carfax report and it showed the insurance company reported a total loss of the car on the day of filing claim, but the adjusted just determined it is repairable. In this case is there any way to correct the carfax report since I may want to sell the car after the repair?

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpg
    IMG_3508.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_3506.PNG
    IMG_3506.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 394
  • IMG_3507.jpg
    IMG_3507.jpg
    501.5 KB · Views: 363
The $18k repair seems very optimistic. I cannot see from your pictures the damage to the right and left quarters.
But if they are damaged, it is almot impossible to stretch them back, so they will need to be replaced.

This is very complex because originaly the side body panel is made of a single piece, from the 'A' pilar to the rear of the car.
So the side body needs to be cut in middle of the rear passenger door and replaced by a rear quarter panel.
Also the glass roof needs to be removed, and it often get cracked when doing so.

I would recommend to visit some Tesla certified body shops to get additional estimates.
Asked them also about their availability and duration of the job.
I would not be surprised if you may have to wait about three months before a body shop can start working on it.
And another three months to received the parts and to complete the repair.

You can access some overview of the car parts by login to the Tesla Part Catalog

Model Y Quarter Panel .jpg

The body shop needs to tear down the vehicle. It may still be a total loss. The adjuster thinks it can be repaired but that may change once the body shop tears into the vehicle and takes inventory. I would talk to the body shop and make sure they are using all OE parts and that the insurance company isn't trying to cut any corners.

It's impossible, unless car is a mangled mess, to say if it's totalled by pictures.

The $18k repair seems very optimistic. I cannot see from your pictures the damage to the right and left quarters.
But if they are damaged, it is almot impossible to stretch them back, so they will need to be replaced.

This is very complex because originaly the side body panel is made of a single piece, from the 'A' pilar to the rear of the car.
So the side body needs to be cut in middle of the rear passenger door and replaced by a rear quarter panel.
Also the glass roof needs to be removed, and it often get cracked when doing so.

I would recommend to visit some Tesla certified body shops to get additional estimates.
Asked them also about their availability and duration of the job.
I would not be surprised if you may have to wait about three months before a body shop can start working on it.
And another three months to received the parts and to complete the repair.

You can access some overview of the car parts by login to the Tesla Part Catalog

View attachment 895968
That's pretty useful information! Thank you! I just received an estimate from the body shop and they think it's $35000 for repair and they haven't tear down the car yet ....

Last edited:
That's pretty useful information! Thank you! I just received an estimate from the body shop and they think it's $35000 for repair and they haven't tear down the car yet ....
Will likely be more. Insurance company should revisit declaring it a total loss considering it's pretty close to ACV currently. Ask them to revisit total loss and if they still want to repair stay on them daily to make sure they aren't cutting corners.

Reactions: zzzsleepzzz
Will likely be more. Insurance company should revisit declaring it a total loss considering it's pretty close to ACV currently. Ask them to revisit total loss and if they still want to repair stay on them daily to make sure they aren't cutting corners.
How could they still want to repair it if the repair cost exceeds the state's total loss threshold? This is against the law right?

How could they still want to repair it if the repair cost exceeds the state's total loss threshold? This is against the law right?
I'm not an attorney so I can't answer on the law part. Strangely I have seen insurance companies try to repair vehicle for several months, spending 10-20k, and then finally paying out a total loss months later. My guess would be to delay paying the total loss claim or an inexperienced adjuster. Hard to say. Push back and ask them to revisit.

You could also casually ask about a diminished value claim but don't be threatening about it. Then ask them to take a 2nd look and tell them you feel it's a total loss.

I can't take these insurance companies' review for *sugar*. I had road rage incident where the ****er threw a loaded soda can at my door, causing two dents (see of gold balls). They looked at the pics and sent me a check for $473. Caliber Collision send them a supplement for $2500!